What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

typicalfan

Coach
And why is it such a long bow to mention Folau? Is it because he plays AFL because he sure doesn't play for the Tigers, his parents did move but he lived in Minto. The Minichiello brothers, Jarryd Hayne, Frank Pritchard, Ben Roberts, Ryan Hoffman and Eric Grothe Jnr all played junior footy in the Liverpool-Campbelltown SW junior competitions.

That is a pretty talented bunch

gallagher

Juniors
And why is it such a long bow to mention Folau? Is it because he plays AFL because he sure doesn't play for the Tigers, his parents did move but he lived in Minto. The Minichiello brothers, Jarryd Hayne, Frank Pritchard, Ben Roberts, Ryan Hoffman and Eric Grothe Jnr all played junior footy in the Liverpool-Campbelltown SW junior competitions.

That is a pretty talented bunch
But were they turned away from the club because Western Suburbs dont have a state league team and they then had to travel to Concord as a junior? Isnt that what al this is about?

Tiger05

First Grade
But were they turned away from the club because Western Suburbs dont have a state league team and they then had to travel to Concord as a junior? Isnt that what al this is about?

This is the supposed issue and it has nothing at all to do with us losing local juniors. End of thread.

drago brelli

Bench
But who in the last 5 years have we lost to other clubs?
Merrin, Matt Prior and Mitch Rein are also Illawarra juniors as was Chris Housten. Wests get raided by Easts because Easts have no junior talent. The Illawarra gets raided by Manly and Brian Smith who was at Newcastle and now at Easts. Some of the smarter operators know there is very good juniors in the Illawarra as there is at Wests, St.George/Illawarra can't hold all their juniors. The club tends to supplement what local talent they have with some better performed experienced players from outside the club, eg; Smith and Costigan. All junior areas are fair game now. Pay the money and they will most probably leave. The big advantage of having your own juniors is that some will stay for less money, eg; morris, Young and Hornby. I don't think the West/Balmain JV is broken.

blackandwhite

Juniors
Merrin, Matt Prior and Mitch Rein are also Illawarra juniors as was Chris Housten. Wests get raided by Easts because Easts have no junior talent. The Illawarra gets raided by Manly and Brian Smith who was at Newcastle and now at Easts. Some of the smarter operators know there is very good juniors in the Illawarra as there is at Wests, St.George/Illawarra can't hold all their juniors. The club tends to supplement what local talent they have with some better performed experienced players from outside the club, eg; Smith and Costigan. All junior areas are fair game now. Pay the money and they will most probably leave. The big advantage of having your own juniors is that some will stay for less money, eg; morris, Young and Hornby. I don't think the West/Balmain JV is broken.

Wests Tigers are not like St.George they don't care about their Western Sydney junior base.

If your from Western Sydney and you make NSW 16's or Australian Schoolboys they will then look at you.
Then if you can get through all the crap of having to travel in peak hour traffic to the inner city plus do an apprentiship or degree on your $3,000 a year.
You might have a chance.
Stats say No you really have no chance.

drago brelli

Bench
You all make good points and I feel for Wests. I had Wests matts and ball players in my school teams when I worked out that way. They have /had a massive drawing area. I hope these point are observed by the Wests/Tigers decision makers.

blackandwhite

Juniors
You all make good points and I feel for Wests. I had Wests matts and ball players in my school teams when I worked out that way. They have /had a massive drawing area. I hope these point are observed by the Wests/Tigers decision makers.

We do have a massive area so the question is... Why is Chris Lawrence our only Junior ?

innsaneink

Referee
He's not...cut the crap.
Shannon Gallant, Willie Mataka, Peni Tagive, Simon Dwyer, Nathan Waters, Blake Lazarus and Matt Groat have all come through Wests Magpies since Chris Lawrence

...oh yeh, I'll try a third time...whats your role at Wests JRL, blackandwhite?

Last edited:

Bluebag

Juniors
Wests have been more successful with less over the past few years in state league despite ryde getting the fg and NYC players as first choice. Sheens and McConnell don't want wests around and just want one club and as wests want to keep their century of history going they are making life hard for them.

alien

Referee
Wests have been more successful with less over the past few years in state league despite ryde getting the fg and NYC players as first choice. Sheens and McConnell don't want wests around and just want one club and as wests want to keep their century of history going they are making life hard for them.
nar we made the finals in 2010 because we were getting a few players from wt but in 2011 wt went back to giving balmain all of the nrl squad players so thats why we didnt make the finals in 2011.

alien

Referee
we dont want to die in nsw cup or the junior grades. that was part of the agreement when we formed a joint venture with balmain

Ghipo

Juniors
He's not...cut the crap.
Shannon Gallant, Willie Mataka, Peni Tagive, Simon Dwyer, Nathan Waters, Blake Lazarus and Matt Groat have all come through Wests Magpies since Chris Lawrence

...oh yeh, I'll try a third time...whats your role at Wests JRL, blackandwhite?

He said playing NRL for Wests Tigers NOT PLAYED.
Groat is from the Griffith area. What is your problem Balmain boy?

Tiger05

First Grade
I love the way this thread is still rambling on with absolutely no valid point from the morons who want to say they are hard done by.

I have to revise my troll meter to 8/10. Bravo gentleladies. Bravo.

N.C.

Juniors
We want the juniors from the Macarthur region, but are not giving them much incentive to play for us.
Would you travel further to work if you could travel a shorter distance for the same pay?
If the ONLY option for the players in this region is to constantly travel to Concord, WHY will they keep choosing to play for the Wests Tigers when they have a few clubs who might also be interested in them and are closer to home?

I don`t think having ONE Reserve Grade side called the Wests Tigers is all that bad, but be a bit professional about it and set up a Wests Magpies Bundy Cup side based out of Campbelltown and set up a training base at Campbbelltown which is equal to what is at Concord and train out there atleast once per week.
This keeps a better connection with these up and coming kids who we are all wanting to play for the Wests Tigers.
Not too much to ask I wouldn`t have thought?

So which is it? Do these kids really want to play for the Tigers, or would they rather play for Canturbury because Belmore is fifteen minutes closer to Macquarie Fields than Concord is? Please tell me how many of these kids have knocked back offers to train and play with Wests Tigers because they'd rather hold out for a gig closer to home?