What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

meltiger

First Grade
Iam a very old Balmain man but from where I sit I think its time for one team called the WestsTigers right through the grades and that includes junior teams and Iam more than happy for the lower grades and junior grades be based out of Campbelltown because thats where the future is. If it means we see some local guys from the Balmain district jump ship so be it. To run all these different teams in these hard times is mindless

So you'd be happy for our captain to be playing for Canterbury, or Parramatta?

Whilst i don't like it, and said in my previous post I can see a benefit in two teams, if the JV wants that level merged then so be it. Long term if some get their way and we see increased funding from the IC for a national reserve grade comp, this issue would suddenly become a non-event anyway. The JV would be fielding a side in that comp, and whatever statewide comp was born would likely see a non-alligned Western Suburbs Magpies representing the Sth West & certainly no Balmain.

The reason I knock the writers of that blog for their stupidity is it's all about big bad Balmain, "They prop up Balmain and provide all our players to them" - That's WESTS choice, the JV are trying to force their hand. They don't want the boys playing for BRET, anymore than they do Western Suburbs They want them playing for WT. In what is seemingly a rant against the Balmain side, they completely gloss over that fact.

With the juniors however, I disagree. There is a need to run individual Matts and Ball sides from each district. Even though people like to piss on the Balmain juniors quality, the district still has the ability to produce players. It's worthwhile running both of those teams seperately. The larger the junior base, the better. Even if we agree that once the JV contracts them, everything from TC upwards is WT.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
The problem Meltiger is. No NRL players they will get lapped in NSW Cup. Before last season 3 clubs with no NSW Cup team all tried to send the excess back to Wests. Only for JV management to knock it back.

Hardly wanting the Magpies to keep going. It's easier to put up obstacles so they fail then try to force their hand.

alien

Referee
I wish this would go away and grown men would stop sooking like little girls.
We wouldn't be complaining if Wests Tigers weren't going back on agreements of the joint-venture between Wests & Balmain. I bet alot of people from the Balmain side of the joint-venture would be "sooking like little girls" if things were the other way around.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
We wouldn't be complaining if Wests Tigers weren't going back on agreements of the joint-venture between Wests & Balmain. I bet alot of people from the Balmain side of the joint-venture would be "sooking like little girls" if things were the other way around.

I think you should find something better to do with your life. It is a JV - do you get this ? Build a bridge, STFU and move on.

alien

Referee
I think you should find something better to do with your life. It is a JV - do you get this ? Build a bridge, STFU and move on.
Yeah well that's just another stupid post by you. I have followed Rugby League for over 2 decades and the Wests side of the joint-venture (the side that I come from) is being treated unfairly - you would have to be a moron not to see that. If I wasn't passionate about it I would just shutup and go with the flow. Yes I understand it's a joint-venture and Wests Tigers have gone back on agreements that were made between Wests and Balmain at the start of the joint-venture, which favours the Balmain side of the joint-venture once again - suprise surprise. So no I wont "build a bridge, STFU and move on." If you don't want to read this thread then no one is forcing you to read it!

alien

Referee
Tiger05 is nothing but a stupid troll anyway. When Moltzen was playing badly at fullback for most of last year Tiger05 was telling people on the Wests Tigers Forum that Moltzen was going good at fullback, and later on he even admitted that he was trolling, and before anyone thinks I am a Moltzen hater well that's definitely not true at all.

Tiger05

First Grade
You say troll like it is a bad thing. To me it simply means being able to make a joke. I also post 90% of the time how exactly how I feel. I joked at the losers who were knocking Moltzen because they were speaking out of their arse - same as the sooks on the Wests side of the venture.

I am not trolling regarding the crying from the soft Wests side of the JV. This needs to be put to bed. The sooks need to go and support state cup and keep their crappy f**ked up opinions to themselves. It is a destabilising influence that should be put to bed and posting on forums regarding this is f**ked up.

There will always be dinosaurs who cry about both sides not getting the best deal. Obviously they are sad sacks of shite who have no lives.

Vicious

Bench
Tiger05, the point is that the Wests Tigers are not and should never become a club who recruits 80% of their squad from other clubs. Sure class players need to be recruited from time to time, but the most successful clubs are made up of a core base of local talent OR players who have been with the club since a young age. This builds the tribalism and passion that seperates rugby league from many other sports.

The Wests Tigers will simply not survive long term if they are hell bent on recruiting the majority of their squad. Although we have the support of Harry Trigaboff, he does not have the same passion and will not provide the same level of financial support as the likes of Nick Politis.

A very important thing to remember is that the majority of top class rugby league players come from working class families. The Macarthur region mainly consists of working class families hence the reason so much talent originates from the region, quite a few who have slipped the net of the Wests Magpies/Wests Tigers such as Jarryd Hayne, Israel Folau, Krisnan Inu and Trent Hodkinson just to name a few.

There is a very good reason why many of these players slip through the net and that`s because the surrounding clubs such as Parramatta know that very little money is put in to these kids and they are easy to poach.

To conclude, I don`t believe there is many people from the Macarthur region except the players who give a **** about the Wests Magpies, but the up and coming kids are not stupid and when they are asked to travel the Concord each day for training on small wages to play for BRET when they could potentially avoid the traffic and play for clubs such as Cronulla, Parramatta, Canterbury, Penrith ect for the same money and cut out a bit of travel time, why would they and why should they choose to play for BRET or the Wests Tigers?

As per one of the major points in this thread, what is the harm of having two Reserve Grade Sides as feeder clubs for the Wests Tigers?
It worked in `2005 and it simply eliminates the potential problem mentioned above!

blackandwhite

Juniors
Tiger05, the point is that the Wests Tigers are not and should never become a club who recruits 80% of their squad from other clubs. Sure class players need to be recruited from time to time, but the most successful clubs are made up of a core base of local talent OR players who have been with the club since a young age. This builds the tribalism and passion that seperates rugby league from many other sports.

The Wests Tigers will simply not survive long term if they are hell bent on recruiting the majority of their squad. Although we have the support of Harry Trigaboff, he does not have the same passion and will not provide the same level of financial support as the likes of Nick Politis.

A very important thing to remember is that the majority of top class rugby league players come from working class families. The Macarthur region mainly consists of working class families hence the reason so much talent originates from the region, quite a few who have slipped the net of the Wests Magpies/Wests Tigers such as Jarryd Hayne, Israel Folau, Krisnan Inu and Trent Hodkinson just to name a few.

There is a very good reason why many of these players slip through the net and that`s because the surrounding clubs such as Parramatta know that very little money is put in to these kids and they are easy to poach.

To conclude, I don`t believe there is many people from the Macarthur region except the players who give a **** about the Wests Magpies, but the up and coming kids are not stupid and when they are asked to travel the Concord each day for training on small wages to play for BRET when they could potentially avoid the traffic and play for clubs such as Cronulla, Parramatta, Canterbury, Penrith ect for the same money and cut out a bit of travel time, why would they and why should they choose to play for BRET or the Wests Tigers?

I agree... but Wests Tigers obviously don't agree with you as there are only 3 locals in the team Farah, Woods and Lawrence. The Wests Tigers are ruthless they don't care about local juniors in particular the ones out at Campbelltown.

To all the kids in the Group 6 area go and play for St.George they train at Wollongong just down the road, they are far more professional than Wests Tigers and with a coach like Steve Price you actually get a coach that can improve your game.

meltiger

First Grade
The problem Meltiger is. No NRL players they will get lapped in NSW Cup. Before last season 3 clubs with no NSW Cup team all tried to send the excess back to Wests. Only for JV management to knock it back.

Hardly wanting the Magpies to keep going. It's easier to put up obstacles so they fail then try to force their hand.

Of course not. The clear position of the club is they want to run a JV side, hence filtering all the players to BRET until Wests fall into line with what the JV wants to do.

Not that I agree with their actions, but they make no secret of it.

thanks to the west tigers merger a few talented players from ctown play for other teams

Plenty of players from all junior disctricts play all over the shop. It's 2012 not 1950.

Should we send Benj back to NZ just to give a run to a local junior from the Sth West?

Top 4 two years running (& likely a third unless *touch wood* something happens to Marshall, club can't be doing that badly.

I have to say on a personal note, that yes A Balmain side at State Cup level has run it's race for usefulness, even if I see a benefit to running two teams, there is no need for a Balmain side at that level any longer. & in fairness, you could probably argue the opposite for the Sth West

If the JV ran a WT sides in that comp and played them out of Campbelltown, so be it.

But yes, I know others who wouldn't be happy with it. But it's an increasingly marginalised minority now.

I agree... but Wests Tigers obviously don't agree with you as there are only 3 locals in the team Farah, Woods and Lawrence. The Wests Tigers are ruthless they don't care about local juniors in particular the ones out at Campbelltown.

To all the kids in the Group 6 area go and play for St.George they train at Wollongong just down the road, they are far more professional than Wests Tigers and with a coach like Steve Price you actually get a coach that can improve your game.

Wasn't the earlier tone of the thread that the Tigers have no interest in the region itself, only poaching the juniors? Now we are complaining that there are only 3 (One Balmain) juniors in the top 17?

Tiger05

First Grade
So let me get this right - all the crying is because the juniors who get a chance to play for the Wests Tigers have to travel to Concord to train.

Puts it all into perspective doesn't it.

Vicious

Bench
So let me get this right - all the crying is because the juniors who get a chance to play for the Wests Tigers have to travel to Concord to train.

Puts it all into perspective doesn't it.

We want the juniors from the Macarthur region, but are not giving them much incentive to play for us.
Would you travel further to work if you could travel a shorter distance for the same pay?
If the ONLY option for the players in this region is to constantly travel to Concord, WHY will they keep choosing to play for the Wests Tigers when they have a few clubs who might also be interested in them and are closer to home?

I don`t think having ONE Reserve Grade side called the Wests Tigers is all that bad, but be a bit professional about it and set up a Wests Magpies Bundy Cup side based out of Campbelltown and set up a training base at Campbbelltown which is equal to what is at Concord and train out there atleast once per week.
This keeps a better connection with these up and coming kids who we are all wanting to play for the Wests Tigers.
Not too much to ask I wouldn`t have thought?

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
You say troll like it is a bad thing. To me it simply means being able to make a joke. I also post 90% of the time how exactly how I feel. I joked at the losers who were knocking Moltzen because they were speaking out of their arse - same as the sooks on the Wests side of the venture.

I am not trolling regarding the crying from the soft Wests side of the JV. This needs to be put to bed. The sooks need to go and support state cup and keep their crappy f**ked up opinions to themselves. It is a destabilising influence that should be put to bed and posting on forums regarding this is f**ked up.

There will always be dinosaurs who cry about both sides not getting the best deal. Obviously they are sad sacks of shite who have no lives.
I see you havent learned.
This is why you were booted from the other forum.

Trolling is posting for a reaction, which is what you do along with being ignorant and hurling names and insults....nothing to do with "making a joke"

Leave the thread to those that wish to discuss it in an adult manner

blackandwhite

Juniors
Wasn't the earlier tone of the thread that the Tigers have no interest in the region itself, only poaching the juniors? Now we are complaining that there are only 3 (One Balmain) juniors in the top 17?

Farah is Balmain and Woods is Balmain.

Lawrence is the only junior from the Campbelltown area in the last 5 years who could be considered a regular first grader.

Two recent examples Begovich and Wisby have been used and sent packing they are both back to playing for Group 6.

I advise the next lot of juniors coming through to look elsewhere.. look at the results don't waste your time traveling to Concord.

alien

Referee

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orMXD_Ijbs&feature=fvsr

innsaneink

Referee

Lawrence is the only junior from the Campbelltown area in the last 5 years who could be considered a regular first grader.

Two recent examples Begovich and Wisby have been used and sent packing they are both back to playing for Group 6.

I advise the next lot of juniors coming through to look elsewhere.. look at the results don't waste your time traveling to Concord.

Whats your role at Wests JRL?

meltiger

First Grade

Ah fair enough. Just assumed on Woods.

Still doesn't change the point that there seems to be conflicting arguments everytime people post.

On one hand we don't care about the regions juniors on the other hand that's our only interest.

That's the points that have been put forward.