What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

alien

Referee
I love the way this thread is still rambling on with absolutely no valid point from the morons who want to say they are hard done by.

I have to revise my troll meter to 8/10. Bravo gentleladies. Bravo.
well then you are trolling again, or you are incredibly stupid. i think its a little from column A and a little from column B.

alien

Referee
we should never have merged with those balmain androtops. we should have fought the nrl in court like souths did

innsaneink

Referee
He said playing NRL for Wests Tigers NOT PLAYED.
Groat is from the Griffith area. What is your problem Balmain boy?

What difference does it make if theyve been and gone, or been and still playin?
B&W is trying to make out nothings happened at WTs via Wests since Lawrence which is bullshit
I know where Groats from but he came thru the magpies
Are you blackandwhites spokeperson?
By the way Im an old magpie...and I agree with some of the grievances, but when BS is put forth as valid argument well I cant keep quiet

Btw its the same number thats come thru the BRET side, with some staying, others moving on.

alien

Referee
im not confused. i have had it. ive supported wests tigers for years. i have travelled all around australia (to other states) to watch them play. i have been at every finals games they have played in, including when we won the premiership in 2005. it all means nothing to me now because of the way they are treating the wests side of the joint-venture & how they are trying to kill the magpies off completely. ive tryed to be forgiving and patient but ive had enough. wests tigers wont be getting another cent from me.

alien

Referee
wests tigers dont care about the fans. they are as bad as the superleague scum

Tiger05

First Grade
Alien - I've got a simple solution for you - don't support the Wests Tigers any more.

Stop posting on here and go and peddle your drivel somewhere else.

N.C.

Juniors
Fibros need a little perspective... Plenty of kids growing up in the bush would simply laugh at the idea that an hour or two is too far to drive to get to training. f**king soft-c**k city kids the lot of you!

BunniesMan

Immortal
There is simply no such thing as a truly even JV/merge. Manly dominated Norths until it died. St George has dominated Illawarra from day 1 in just about every way. You guys always boasted you were the one true partnership of clubs. But power is never ever divided precisely 50/50. Just like any marriage or business partnership someone is always the leader. It's pretty clear Balmain is in this case.

Give Campbelltown 6 games. Simple as that.

After 10 years of in fighting between supporters at my club finally being resolved for the most part, it's refreshing to see you guys having an internal battle.

Not to worry, wont last long. After the next TV deal the clubs will have plenty of cash to allocate more resources. I'm sure the Tigers wont want to lose the Macarthur

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
There is simply no such thing as a truly even JV/merge. Manly dominated Norths until it died. St George has dominated Illawarra from day 1 in just about every way. You guys always boasted you were the one true partnership of clubs. But power is never ever divided precisely 50/50. Just like any marriage or business partnership someone is always the leader. It's pretty clear Balmain is in this case.

Yeah. And Rusty dominates PHaC.

Move on before someone uses your words against you.

As for the health of the State Cup teams, I'd love to see them survive but the cold hard reality is what we are faced with. It saddens me no end that clubs die, but as I see it, the supposed solution of dissolving the JV that some propose is the worst possible outcome.

There is this new team from a sport I have no interest in moving in to the same district.
Using the same colours.
Wanting to take the same fans and sponsorship dollars.

It's the absolute number one priority for the club to ensure the strongest possible product is on show for the fans, on and off the field right now. Perhaps a couple of years playing all games at Cambo and Leichhardt is a step in the right direction, despite the short term loss of revenue - because the next tv rights deal should rectify this shortfall.

It's an immensely difficult situation and I clearly don't have the answers but I do believe the solutions some are spouting in terms of breaking the merger is not the answer at any level.

adamkungl

Immortal
As on outsider it looks like there has to be some sort of compromise here.
The biggest issue isn't so much about running 2 state cup sides, I think most would agree it's too costly. The issue is that with only 4 games a year and few juniors coming from such a large area, the Wests side - the massive Campbeltown-Macarthur junior Rugby League heartland - is getting a poor representation in the joint venture.

People, including me, deride St Merge as a takeover, but honestly the Gong has always got equal or more games than Kogarah, and so much of their side is from the Illawarra. Tigers play 8 games in the inner city to 4 out west.

Solution?
-Money is being saved on running one less state cup side, give Campbeltown a better share of the split. Either 6-3-3 Campbeltown-Leichardt-SFS or maybe 5-4-3.

-Play the Wests Tigers NSW Cup side of out Campbeltown in black and white. One step further, make the Wests Magpies the combined NSW Cup side. Would Balmain fans be opposed to sacraficing BRET for the Magpies? The Tiger mascot still lives on in first grade.

Fair enough if no one agrees or gives a f**k about any of this from a non-Tigers fan.

N.C.

Juniors
I'm only guessing, but I reckon they'd be wanting the reserve grade team to be Tigers in order to maintain brand recognition with the NRL side.

hrundi99

First Grade
As on outsider it looks like there has to be some sort of compromise here.
The biggest issue isn't so much about running 2 state cup sides, I think most would agree it's too costly. The issue is that with only 4 games a year and few juniors coming from such a large area, the Wests side - the massive Campbeltown-Macarthur junior Rugby League heartland - is getting a poor representation in the joint venture.

People, including me, deride St Merge as a takeover, but honestly the Gong has always got equal or more games than Kogarah, and so much of their side is from the Illawarra. Tigers play 8 games in the inner city to 4 out west.

Solution?
-Money is being saved on running one less state cup side, give Campbeltown a better share of the split. Either 6-3-3 Campbeltown-Leichardt-SFS or maybe 5-4-3.

-Play the Wests Tigers NSW Cup side of out Campbeltown in black and white. One step further, make the Wests Magpies the combined NSW Cup side. Would Balmain fans be opposed to sacraficing BRET for the Magpies? The Tiger mascot still lives on in first grade.

Fair enough if no one agrees or gives a f**k about any of this from a non-Tigers fan.

The joint venture agreement states that they must have the same number of games at Leichhardt and Cambo, and they need the SFS/ANZ games for revenue.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm only guessing, but I reckon they'd be wanting the reserve grade team to be Tigers in order to maintain brand recognition with the NRL side.

Is brand recognition important in this context?
a) NSW Cup crowds are normally in triple digits.
b) A lot of NRL sides have feeder arrangements for NSW Cup with no visible link to the FG side - Wenty, Newtown, Bankstown, Auckland...etc

The joint venture agreement states that they must have the same number of games at Leichhardt and Cambo, and they need the SFS/ANZ games for revenue.

Evidently the JV agreement doesn't mean squat, it also states that Wests and Balmain retain their identity below FG.

Give one of the Leichardt games to Campbeltown, and/or drop an SFS game, the shortfall of one game is easily covered by the costs saved running one less NSW Cup side. 4 games west to 8 games inner city is a pretty raw deal for the Wests side.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yeah. And Rusty dominates PHaC.

Move on before someone uses your words against you.

As for the health of the State Cup teams, I'd love to see them survive but the cold hard reality is what we are faced with. It saddens me no end that clubs die, but as I see it, the supposed solution of dissolving the JV that some propose is the worst possible outcome.

There is this new team from a sport I have no interest in moving in to the same district.
Using the same colours.
Wanting to take the same fans and sponsorship dollars.

It's the absolute number one priority for the club to ensure the strongest possible product is on show for the fans, on and off the field right now. Perhaps a couple of years playing all games at Cambo and Leichhardt is a step in the right direction, despite the short term loss of revenue - because the next tv rights deal should rectify this shortfall.

It's an immensely difficult situation and I clearly don't have the answers but I do believe the solutions some are spouting in terms of breaking the merger is not the answer at any level.
It's been pretty obvious from day 1 that Crowe was the dominant partner.

Well done on proving what I said was true with yet another example.