What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Joint Venture Is Broken

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Ah fair enough. Just assumed on Woods.

Still doesn't change the point that there seems to be conflicting arguments everytime people post.

On one hand we don't care about the regions juniors on the other hand that's our only interest.

That's the points that have been put forward.

Wasn't Dwyer a Wests junior????

meltiger

First Grade
Dwyer has been removed from the top grade squad so if looking at 2012 not fair to include him

But yes.

blackandwhite

Juniors
Ah fair enough. Just assumed on Woods.

Still doesn't change the point that there seems to be conflicting arguments everytime people post.

On one hand we don't care about the regions juniors on the other hand that's our only interest.

That's the points that have been put forward.

I am just expressing my views and the facts prove that the Campbelltown/Group 6 juniors face a very difficult task to make NRL at Wests Tigers. Facts and figures prove that. Lawrence is the only player from Campbelltown.

I don't like it I would love our club to be like St. George Illawarra.

St. George Illawarra pride themselves on bringing their Illawarra Juniors through to NRL. Cooper, Creagh, Green, Hornby, Hunt, Morris, Young. They want to be part of the Illawarra..in the off season they train at Wollongong university.

The facts are Wests Tigers don't embrace the Macarthur area.

gallagher

Juniors
I am just expressing my views and the facts prove that the Campbelltown/Group 6 juniors face a very difficult task to make NRL at Wests Tigers. Facts and figures prove that. Lawrence is the only player from Campbelltown.

St. George Illawarra pride themselves on bringing their Illawarra Juniors through to NRL. Cooper, Creagh, Green, Hornby, Hunt, Morris, Young. They want to be part of the Illawarra..in the off season they train at Wollongong university.

But who in the last 5 years have we lost to other clubs?

gronkathon

First Grade
Begovich chose his path as he has a successful construction company and NRL football would mean he had to give that up when he knew his chances on an NRL debut were slim

meltiger

First Grade

One premiership apiece.

Who gives a shit about local juniors if premierships arent being won?

How many Sth Wstn juniors are playing at other clubs? & please don't draw the very long bow that is Folau

Fingerbang

Bench
One premiership apiece.

How many Sth Wstn juniors are playing at other clubs? & please don't draw the very long bow that is Folau
Certainly not Nick Politis and Roosters board.

That really is a terrible attitude for any club or club supporter. Hang your head in shame.

innsaneink

Referee

But whats your role at Wests JRL?

Avoiding a few curly Q's?

meltiger

First Grade
I'm 31 years old, and want to see my teams win premierships.

I absoloutely love our captain, watched him regularly as a junior and yes that's a big part of it.

If we had a hooker from QLD that far exceeded Robs abilities, then end of the day the NRL franchises exist to win premierships.

It's 2012, the game is professional and no longer district based. The sooner management of junior football in Sydney passes over to the IC the better. If what the likes of BW say is true, then we are potentially losing large swathes of talented kids because of mismanagement/lack of care by the NRL clubs. Move the responsibility to the people tasked with uplifting the health of the game - the new commission.

Question. Should the Dragons have fielded an inferior Sth Coast junior at FB over the last few years instead of Darius? Not signed Smith as he wasnt a junior, Or would you prefer to keep your premiership?

Last edited:

Vicious

Bench
I'm 31 years old, and want to see my teams win premierships.

I absoloutely love our captain, watched him regularly as a junior and yes that's a big part of it.

If we had a hooker from QLD that far exceeded Robs abilities, then end of the day the NRL franchises exist to win premierships.

It's 2012, the game is professional and no longer district based. The sooner management of junior football in Sydney passes over to the IC the better. If what the likes of BW say is true, then we are potentially losing large swathes of talented kids because of mismanagement/lack of care by the NRL clubs. Move the responsibility to the people tasked with uplifting the health of the game - the new commission.

Question. Should the Dragons have fielded an inferior Sth Coast junior at FB over the last few years instead of Darius? Not signed Smith as he wasnt a junior, Or would you prefer to keep your premiership?

That`s a great attitude, not to mention how much cheaper it is to keep local juniors who have a passion for their local club rather than scouting the world for talent.
No one can have a full team full of locals, but it`s a must to have atleast a few in the team.

I think you would get a big shock if you knew how much money clubs such as the Roosters put in to recruitment from a young age. We don`t need to spend the same amounts of money as we have a strong junior base, this is the whole point why the Macarthur region needs to be kept as Wests Tigers territory!

blackandwhite

Juniors
One premiership apiece.

Glad you finally agree Wests Tigers don't give a shit.

innsaneink

Referee
Thats one way to ''win'' an argument, take things out of context and avoid questions posed to you

Congratulations.

meltiger

First Grade
Glad you finally agree Wests Tigers don't give a shit.

I actually said that I do not care.

Pretty certain my only direct comment in relation to Wests was to say "If you are correct"

& for that matter, you can cut the attitude, haven't had a crack at you at all, I'm trying to get more info out of you. Unless you are the author of the stupidity on that blog of course lol If the blog was complaining solely about how the JV treats the junior leagues and not a rant afgainst Balmain in parts, I'd take them more seriously. To my mind, it's the same old MAgpie Warriors who want a black and white team playing out of the Sth West FT. It failed once because Wests were incompetent and would fail again based on the evidence being provided of their still ongoing incompetent mismanagement of the district.

Vicious, it's only my view, others are free to hold their own.

If we don't want to spend time/money recruiting outside of the district, should we give up on Keebra?

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Unless you are the author of the stupidity on that blog of course

But there are posters on here agreeing with that stupidity. It is simply dinosaurs with nothing better to do than complain.

Poor little didums having to travel for an extra 15 minutes for a chance to play for their club. How many people have to travel for an hour and back to go to work and get paid 60 grand for a 8-5 job that they can't stand to support their families. And they have to do this Monday to Friday for 30 odd years.

I think some young kids can suck it up for a chance to live their dreams.

Unless of course this is a massive troll. If so bravo - I give it a 7.

R2Coupe

Juniors

Isn't Groat counted as a Wests junior? Didn't Balmain prefer Wests over the Eels due to the potential for junior development and growth in the SW?

I recall Grant Jones rating Begovich highly but did state his carpentry career threatened his progression to the NRL.

As for St George Illawarra, the Stewart brothers, Craig Fitzgibbon, Luke Patten, Ryan Girdler, Beau Ryan among a host of other players left the Illawarra prior to the JV or after it was formed. Recently we have seen the entire contingent of Sims brothers leave together with Kane Linnett. Does this constitute promoting junior development in the Illawarra?

Seems to me the club rates Tedesco and the other Schoolboy centre from Wests highly. I haven't yet known an outstanding junior the club wanted to keep leave since Hoffman left prior to Sheens' reign. I know I was disappointed Nobby Clarke's son Jarryd, an outstanding secondrow prospect from Holy Cross Ryde, is now with the Roosters. Balmain juniors are also in demand.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
Begovich chose his path as he has a successful construction company and NRL football would mean he had to give that up when he knew his chances on an NRL debut were slim

Why were his chances slim ?? Is it a political thing or on ability ? because I rate him equal if not a better player than Groat .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Why were his chances slim ?? Is it a political thing or on ability ? because I rate him equal if not a better player than Groat .

begovich looked better then groat in the 20s this year imo. i dont know if him not committing to the club fulltime next year stopped him playing first grade but if so its sad cause groat was not ready for full time first grade and this showed against the warriors

gronkathon

First Grade

Neil had a great game for the 20's but lacked the size and type of Groat.

Compare apples with apples and Woods is the one to compare him to as they are more similar in style.

Begovich may well have gotten a run through injury but with Woods, Groat & BMM being ranked ahead of him by the club he made his choice.

That and he loves his building work and running his own company. That is where his true passion seems to lay

typicalfan

Coach
One premiership apiece.

Because good local juniors can mean success in the future. Not 2-3 years but 10-12-20 years. Junior participation creates supporters and saves money on talent scouts and is a source of pride for the locals that they have a strong talent base.

Premierships are great but as a club premierships may mean more than just the NRL but all relevant grades.

But I guess you don't care, kind of a slap in the face for anyone trying to do good work in SW Sydney though.