What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Wolfpack in League 1

DIOGENES

Juniors
We are talking about rugby league players. The odd "night club incident" or being found snorting the odd line on your record will probably block your visa.

Pommy

Coach
Serves Barrow right for taking the two with 4 mins gone. I can't stand any team that does it.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Effectively Barrow are the #2 side in League One. 70-2 I think I saw? FFS what an embarrassment and canter the league will be. The RFL should make a special exemption for these franchises to go immediately into the Championship. Hell they only just got done by Salford in the Cup.

Pommy

Coach
Anyone know what the normal delay is on the games being uploaded to youtube? I was looking forward to watching them against Barrow today but no sign of it.

Effectively Barrow are the #2 side in League One. 70-2 I think I saw? FFS what an embarrassment and canter the league will be. The RFL should make a special exemption for these franchises to go immediately into the Championship. Hell they only just got done by Salford in the Cup.

The RFL are in a winless situation if they did that they would be accused of giving leg ups to Johnny foreigner at the expense of the heartlands. But now people are just complaining that they are flogging everyone week in week out.

We are talking about rugby league players. The odd "night club incident" or being found snorting the odd line on your record will probably block your visa.

Not even so much league players as tradies probably.

Last edited:

8Ball

First Grade
I think we as long term rugby league fans who have followed the game for decades come from this from a slightly skewed perspective.

From following social media, and my discussions with my Canadian friends...Torontonians love a winner, and want to embrace a winner, so in the very short term ie. next few home games, these wins will probably attract more publicity, and help build up a fanbase and general awareness of the team. As Canadians learn about the game, they probably won't mind the blow out scores as much. Most even enjoy it.

They'll need to start altering their marketing direction a bit though to make it more about the journey of progressing to the super league, in addition to continuing to attract and retain fans with other activities and lots of engagement post-game - which they are doing really really well right now. They've even taken advantage of Moi Moi, and built a genuine brand around him as someone you turn up to see in the flesh. However, they can't continue to claim that every match will be tightly contested. I've watched every game so far. It's men against boys. When the Wolfpack play poorly, they win by 20-30.

If this was any other dinosaur-run rugby league club I'd be worried. I am quietly confident with everything I've seen from how The Wolfpack have done things, and the genuine passion from those in charge in bringing the game to Canada that they'll be able to adjust.

tldr; The target market is likely to be much more tolerant of these lopsided contests than we are.

deluded pom?

Coach
Agree with the last two posts. English RL fans are the biggest whingers in the world and don't need much encouragement to have a go. As Pommy pointed out if TW were put straight into the Champioship there would be uproar from the supporters of teams in League 1 (a league where the top games rarely attract more than a thousand spectators). Start in League 1 and the same people whinge that TW are too good for this division. It's a one season anomaly that we, as long standing fans of the game, will have to put up with but it seems like the Torontonians are enjoying watching their team win easily enough for the time being. Let's just go with the flow until next season when games should be a lot closer.

8Ball

First Grade
Agree with the last two posts. English RL fans are the biggest whingers in the world and don't need much encouragement to have a go. As Pommy pointed out if TW were put straight into the Champioship there would be uproar from the supporters of teams in League 1 (a league where the top games rarely attract more than a thousand spectators). Start in League 1 and the same people whinge that TW are too good for this division. It's a one season anomaly that we, as long standing fans of the game, will have to put up with but it seems like the Torontonians are enjoying watching their team win easily enough for the time being. Let's just go with the flow until next season when games should be a lot closer.

It is amusing reading the comments on social media. The Canadians are overwhelmingly positive. All the whingers are poms with no stake in the game. Hopefully it doesn't affect Canadian interest.

Pommy

Coach
It is amusing reading the comments on social media. The Canadians are overwhelmingly positive. All the whingers are poms with no stake in the game. Hopefully it doesn't affect Canadian interest.

To be fair social media is pretty toxic no matter what the subject.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I would like them to blood the two young Canadian players while they're at this level.

One thing that peeves me with our sport, is this incredibly dogged attitude to winning at all costs. Sometimes there's a bigger picture down the road so to speak.

Pommy

Coach
I would like them to blood the two young Canadian players while they're at this level.

One thing that peeves me with our sport, is this incredibly dogged attitude to winning at all costs. Sometimes there's a bigger picture down the road so to speak.

I guess the race is on for SL otherwise there potentially may not be bigger picture.
I know there's people backing the team now but how long that could continue for I'm not sure. At some point it's going to need to bring money in.

adamkungl

Immortal
I guess the race is on for SL otherwise there potentially may not be bigger picture.
I know there's people backing the team now but how long that could continue for I'm not sure. At some point it's going to need to bring money in.

Yeah.. wouldn't surprise if they're running at a loss at the moment

adamkungl

Immortal
I can't imagine any scenario where that isn't the case.

They're likely pulling in sponsorships , merch and certainly gate well above most League One teams and probably half the SL teams.

They're not getting SL funding from the RFL obviously.

The question is their player salary and marketing bill.
By the rules of the cap their player salary is max at 50% of their income.

People are talking them up as a SL quality side which I think is severely stretching it. Perhaps they are well drilled but half their players have never played top grade and the ones that have for the most part never reached any great heights and/or are in their twilight years.
They'd be running a Championship level salary. Max 1mil a year. Which their gate receipts might well cover if they continue exceeding 5000 crowds.

Pommy

Coach
They're likely pulling in sponsorships , merch and certainly gate well above most League One teams and probably half the SL teams.

They're not getting SL funding from the RFL obviously.

The question is their player salary and marketing bill.
By the rules of the cap their player salary is max at 50% of their income.

People are talking them up as a SL quality side which I think is severely stretching it. Perhaps they are well drilled but half their players have never played top grade and the ones that have for the most part never reached any great heights and/or are in their twilight years.
They'd be running a Championship level salary. Max 1mil a year. Which their gate receipts might well cover if they continue exceeding 5000 crowds.

I know their sponsorship is covering the costs of flights for everyone but the club is at the whim of sponsors if they don't get promoted soon.
Your right they may be covering costs but only because they are being well backed. If they were to take their time getting up it would be another story.

adamkungl

Immortal
They'd be running top 4,on and off the field, if they where in the championship.

Yeah.
If they go into Championship next year with a similar squad it certainly won't be a cakewalk.
KR London and Fev are at similar level.

Pity London can't draw 6000 crowds, that kind of cash would be great for them..

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
You would think if the Wolfpack are up by 30-50 at the half they would blood some young Canadians and Americans right ? That way it wouldn't affect promotion.the first few years would be perfect to give local players some game time And experience.

Is there any structure below the Wolfpack yet for locals to climb the ranks into the Wolfpack squad ?.

Last edited: