What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R1 | Fri | Eels 12-18 Dragons | Parramatta

Result: Eels v Dragons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gaba

First Grade
Preview from NRL.com

Eels v Dragons
Parramatta Stadium
Friday 7.35pm

Where it will be won: Either the Dragons will grind out a win, or the Eels’ brilliance will carry the day.

The Dragons were accused of lacking creativity and playing too predictably at the end of the season. But the truth is their no-nonsense style got them to within a sniff of the grand final, and with basically the same troops, that’s how they’ll play it again.

Meanwhile the Eels are likely to remain a confidence side. If Tahu can contribute early, and starting lock Feleti Mateo (nine line-break assists, 39 offloads in 2009) conjures some magic, expect the Eels to put on quite a show.

lol @ the eels attack they were the 13th worst in attack and struggle to score points against the dragons

the only team what is capable of winning by a big margin is the dragons

Last edited:

Butters

Bench
St George by 16. Its going to be a long year for Parramatta now that teams know how to shut down Jarryd Hayne, as Melbourne showed in the Grand Final.

Lambretta

First Grade
This one has had more hype about it than the Star Wars prequels (and weren't they just magnificent). The Dragons have had a better pre-season and Parra are notorious slow starters, so expect the Dragons to take this one in a fierce contest. Having said that, maybe Parra's early season woes have been left in the trials, but I think the weight of expectation hangs heavier on the eels. Things to look out for. Tahu blaming his 25 knock ons on years of Union and "releasing the ball" and Jason Nightingale thinking he's Big Dell until he realises he's 2 ft 4 and built like a string bean. Dragons by 10 points

The 18th Man

Juniors
My tip: Parramatta Eels

While you won’t win a game on paper, Parramatta won’t lose many if they can keep their top 17 on the field. This is as strong a line-up from one to seventeen in the NRL competition. The forward pack is super strong (Do you want evidence of that? The best prop running around at the back end of 09 Fui Fui Moi Moi is on the bench!) and the backline looks slick, especially with the additional of Timana Tahu.

This will be close to game of the round though I cannot go past the Eels who look a little stronger now Matt Cooper is out and they have the added advantage of playing at home. The Eels also come in to the contest as last start winners over the Dragons (25-12 in the 09 QF after losing the game before 37-0 to the Dragons).

petetheileet

First Grade
Cant see us getting up if Hornby is out as well

those points that come so easy for us on the left are really gna dry up!

The 18th Man

Juniors
Anyone know the status of Hornby for tonight's game? I know he is in doubt, is there anymore on him actually playing? I'd be very surprised to see him miss this game.

DogEEL

Juniors
Kingston is gonna be a huge loss for parra! he was awesome off the bench last year & one of the reasons for their great finals run. realy stupid decision letting him go, i would rather have kept him instead of buying shackelton. lowrie is another bad loss.

penrith got a good buy, they look to have a real good team this year. except for burns( bad buy, should not be playing in the halves) & their idiot coach who will be their undoing.

any news on hornby playing tonight???

pantherz9103

First Grade
Dragons I think will win as the Eels won't be able to just flick a switch and turn on their form of late last year. Dragons are the better grinding team and early in the season I favour their style of play to trump.

RockWheel

Bench
Kingston is gonna be a huge loss for parra! he was awesome off the bench last year & one of the reasons for their great finals run. realy stupid decision letting him go, i would rather have kept him instead of buying shackelton. lowrie is another bad loss.

penrith got a good buy, they look to have a real good team this year. except for burns( bad buy, should not be playing in the halves) & their idiot coach who will be their undoing.

any news on hornby playing tonight???

DogEel? What?

fourplay

Juniors
lol just sprinted to my fantasy team and replaced Reddy with 19 seconds left on the clock until lock out.

aussies1st

Staff member
Entered way too many fantasy comps that I can't remember if I have him!
No biggie and it gives Inu his chance to keep his spot next week.