What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | Heritage Round | Fri | Tigers 30-6 Rabbitohs | SFS

R5: WST v SOU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Would rather have a defender who backpedals than one who fails to make a tackle.

<stats>

There's no doubt that Farah makes more ineffective tackles than Luke, but at least those tackles get completed, and even if those ineffective tackles were counted as misses his percentage would still be better.

Due to his aggression and the fact he plays in a lazy, slothful team, Luke attempts loads more one-on-one tackles than Farah. Luke also misses most of his tackles late in the game when he's buggered - he's not suited to being an 80 minute player because so many runs are expected from him.

Ironically, he'd be twice as effective if he only played 50 minutes.

Another thing the stats don't show is metres conceded and errors forced. Parramata had awesome missed tackle percentages last year which hid the fact we were a soft defensive side who didn't move up. It's a similar principle at work with Farah.

super_coach

First Grade
Take heart Rabbit fans, thats the best team effort from the tigers in a long long time. Isac Luke was very quite,Sutton is not a 5/8th and poor Sandow was left to run the ship. What ever it takes Souths need to get a real 5/8th other wise the good sides will murder them

PS--Young Miller for the Tigers came on when the game was over, but this kid is another Gary Freeman tough as teak with attitude, I would be throwing him into the no9 and sending Farah off to have the OP

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Due to his aggression and the fact he plays in a lazy, slothful team, Luke attempts loads more one-on-one tackles than Farah. Luke also misses most of his tackles late in the game when he's buggered - he's not suited to being an 80 minute player because so many runs are expected from him.

Ironically, he'd be twice as effective if he only played 50 minutes.

Another thing the stats don't show is metres conceded and errors forced. Parramata had awesome missed tackle percentages last year which hid the fact we were a soft defensive side who didn't move up. It's a similar principle at work with Farah.

Luke missed plenty in the first half tonight, although I agree that he'd be far more effective if he only played 50 minutes.

Luke has 2 main problems. 1) his lateral movement is often lazy and as a result he's forced to make diving tackles that are low percentage, and 2) he suffers from little man syndrome and would rather put on a big hit and miss than just wrap the ball up.

Physically Luke is a stronger defender, but Farah is a hell of a lot smarter.

And not that it matters now, but Luke's percentages this season are still better than some of the defensive shockers he had last year. I'm a big Luke fan, love watching the dynamo run out for the Kiwis, but he has some serious issues with his game and at this stage Farah has it over him in most departments, which imo includes defense purely based on Farah's smarter play/positioning compared to Luke's which I believe will come for him with more experience.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Take heart Rabbit fans, thats the best team effort from the tigers in a long long time. Isac Luke was very quite,Sutton is not a 5/8th and poor Sandow was left to run the ship. What ever it takes Souths need to get a real 5/8th other wise the good sides will murder them
If everything goes well Boyd will be that 5/8. While Sandow isn't perfect you can't say he doesn't try. He was the main reason it was 6-6 for so long. With a halves partner who has a habit of dissapearing it is tough to steer a team to victory singlehandedly. He turned just 22 this year, let's not forget that.

Having a better 5/8 would make Sandow so much better. Boyd would be the perfect partner. And if we don't get him Inglis should be our 6. He's fit now, time to put him where he can do the most good for us.

Red Bear

Referee
Souths started very well, and Tigers looked off their game the first twenty minutes. After that, geez, Tigers rolled over the top of them and were very good in the end. Farah was excellent as was Marshall, helped by excellent platform from the forwards and great support play across the park.

Thought Sandow's longer kicking game was pretty good but he wasnt great in the final third. Sutton was woeful bar a couple of moment. Inglis has got to start looking for the ball, he seemed content to just hang out on the left. Compared to someone like Matt Utai who was constantly getting involved, was pretty poor.

Taylor, lol

Very close there BM

I've got 3 requirements to be personally pleased with us this friday.
1. Win by more than 12 points.
2. Score at least 30.
3. Don't concede more than 2 tries.

You must be personally pleased, I know I am

With us at near full stength, with them injury ravaged.

With matchups like
Inglis v Daniela (lol)
Burgess v Dwyer
Taylor v Shernack
Luke v a Farah who can hardly walk

Well Daniella, Dwyer, Shirnak and Farah all got better in those duels.

I'll be dissapointed if it's close.

Lucky it wasn't

Major sign I'm looking for is further improvement in defense. Defense to go from being a 70 min effort to an 80 min effort.

You leaked 30 last week, and again this week, but I guess the Tigers are a much better attacking team than Manly, so call that a win too.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Souths started very well, and Tigers looked off their game the first twenty minutes. After that, geez, Tigers rolled over the top of them and were very good in the end. Farah was excellent as was Marshall, helped by excellent platform from the forwards and great support play across the park.

Thought Sandow's longer kicking game was pretty good but he wasnt great in the final third. Sutton was woeful bar a couple of moment. Inglis has got to start looking for the ball, he seemed content to just hang out on the left. Compared to someone like Matt Utai who was constantly getting involved, was pretty poor.

Taylor, lol
That corresponds exactly with Lang's insane substitutions. We were doing great...then he basically takes off our entire forward pack AT ONCE, all of a sudden we have no go forward in attack and there's holes in defence all over the place.

I hope whatever experiment he was trying goes into the bin before next week.

Big Pete

Referee
That's a great win for the Tigers, back in the day they would have used those injuries as an excuse not to rock up and let the Rabbits call all the shots but their senior players stood up tonight as well as Dwyer who I felt played his best game in first grade period.

I'm not about to write the Rabbitohs off. They could still make the top eight with genuine ease but there's just too many negative qualities about the side to consider them a contender.

Oh and no 'just' about it, C. Smith is comfortably the best hooker in the game.

Mary

Juniors
Souffs;

Sandow looked like the only player that actually gave half a toss. Credit to him, though his short kicking game left alot to be desired. Sutton; I've never seen a player that gives less of a crap, a total passenger. And Dave Taylor, seriously, someone needs to remind him that he is 120 kgs and should be competing in the forwards, not spazzing around in the backline throwing crap passes and kicking grubbers. They have a $450k centre sitting outside him doing sfa because DT wants to pretend he is a five-eighth.

As for the Souths forwards, they dominated early before falling off. Interchange is a concern; Lang surely needs to consider rotating his top forwards throughout the game rather than taking them all off at once. 0-6 to 22-6 while the big guns are off is worrying.

Tigs;

Great defensive game. Screw the scoreline, that win was built on defense and nothing but. Marshall is a wizard and got some great backup by Farah and Moltzen. Dwyer was also a machine in attack, but f**k me, some of the Souffs defense was pretty soft.

I thought the Tigs took too many risks early, which resulted in errors, but their defense prevailed. Butchered a couple of chances in the 1st half, which didn't matter in the end. With better execution, the Tigs could have easily reached 50+ tonight.

___

All in all, the Tigs look fairly solid despite their injuries, a good defensive display inspires a bit more confidence in them to do well this year. As for Souffs, the last fortnight appears a red herring form-wise as their poor defense was shown up again tonight. You cannot hope to compete with sh*t defense, and that is a proven fact.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Premiership winning defence!!!!!!!!!

LOLsouffs

Overrated hacks. Thankfully I haven't tipped them all year. Thanks for playing like a bunch of girls :)

Note - Tigers were pretty sloppy too and still whipped them!

Gaba

First Grade
The sheens factor was on the sideline after halftime , yelling out orders you knew the tigers werent going to lose.

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Was at the game. Souths are diabolical. Taylor will be out of the joint in double time if Bennett goes there.

John Sutton is the worst player in the NRL.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
30-10

2. Score at least 30.

With matchups like
Inglis v Daniela (lol)
Burgess v Dwyer
Taylor v Shernack

Major sign I'm looking for is further improvement in defense. Defense to go from being a 70 min effort to an 80 min effort.

:lol:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

saint pebba

First Grade
This match has been an embarassing example of coaching. Can someone please explain to me the geniused logic behind our substitutions? Why the f**k were Asotasi, Burgess, Taylor and Stuart all on the bench at the same f**king time? It's beyond me. For a big chunk of this game we had our 2nd (considering our injuries more like 3rd)string pack there and it was no coincedence that's when we lost the game.

We were simply torn to shreds down the middle because of Lang's f**ked up substituting.

Minor bright spots:
Sandow was great in the first half (before our coach did his best to lose us the game)
Inglis was superb in defense and repeatedly overpowered his opposite number
Asotasi had another good game (when he was allowed to play)

Opposite of a shoutout to Dave Taylor
Twice in a row in the 2nd half when we were trying to get back in the game and he'd do 90% of a great play and then spoil his hard work by stupidly losing the ball.

Nows it's time for BunniesMan to go out, drink a whole lot of alcohol and make the pain of tonight go away.

P.S. A silver lining to our performance. The coaching decisions were so atrocious I think there's a bloke that works down the road who could do a much better job. Maybe this convinces him to decide ASAP to choose us so we can be coached properly.

Bunniesman,

If you seriously think that performance will encourage Bennett to coach souths you are more delusional that i first thought.

Bennett will not sign up to coach a rabble or players with no heart.

Whilst he could teach souths a thing about defense, he can't miraculously install some heart into the players.

Last night's performance shortens the odds on him coaching Newcastle.

MacDougall

First Grade
If Wayne Bennett doesn't go to Newcastle I will lose all respect for him. The Knights are working class and fight hard! Souths are ... a bunch of fat lazy surfers.

Souths are so stupid, that they let their best player (BEAU CHAMPION) go, and swapped him with the guy widely considered the most overrated Club Player in the game... AND FOR LIKE 3x the cash!

Here's food for thought. How much better would Souths be right now, if they DIDN'T get Failglis and instead kept Champion and used the remaining money to make a play at someone like ... Beau Henry, Trent Hodkinson, Kris Keating, Brett Finch, Arana Taumata or some other HALF-DECENT HALF/FIVE-EIGHTH?

Their one shining light is that Sandow seems to have figured out how not to SUCK at RL. That's not to say he's good, but it means they can afford to let him flail about out there but not Sutton.

My 3 month old daughter could run Souths better that whatever backwards fat bastard is in charge at the moment.

CMUX

30-10

2. Score at least 30.

With matchups like
Inglis v Daniela (lol)
Burgess v Dwyer
Taylor v Shernack

:lol::lol:

I don't know about anyone else but i thoroughly enjoyed lol @ Souths 2011 part 2 last night!!

Latest posts