What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v West Indies @ Adelaide Oval Jan 17-19, 2024

Sime_11

Juniors
considering the lengthy 2023 schedule - i would have rested alot of the main squad for this series and mixed the team up and told them to sink or swim against the Windies.

call it disrespectful to the Windies - who cares - you have Uzman and maybe Smith looking at retirement sooner than later - clearly Green is going to be persisted with - but 2-3 top order batsmen will need to be replaced in the next 12 months or so.

its bad enough that the main squad dont play any shield cricket - the best shield cricketers need more than an Australia A game to test themselves.

Thinking ahead it’s a bit crossroads here -
Khawaja probably retires anywhere from 6-12 months time.
Smith probably retires 12-18/24 months time.

So whoever they choose now, realistically needs to be chosen with an open mind that in 18-24 months time there will also be another new opener and new no4 batsmen to compliment the next new opener in the WI series.

I don’t think Green, Harris, Labuschagne, Renshaw, Head, Marsh is the answer from 1-6 but realistically this could be what the batting line up looks like in 24 months.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
considering the lengthy 2023 schedule - i would have rested alot of the main squad for this series and mixed the team up and told them to sink or swim against the Windies.

call it disrespectful to the Windies - who cares - you have Uzman and maybe Smith looking at retirement sooner than later - clearly Green is going to be persisted with - but 2-3 top order batsmen will need to be replaced in the next 12 months or so.

its bad enough that the main squad dont play any shield cricket - the best shield cricketers need more than an Australia A game to test themselves.
Nope. Every test must be treated with respect because who knows how many the sport has left

King-Gutho94

Coach

Baggy Green caps should be earnt not handed out.

We have been guilty of it before at times.

At the end of the day trying to plan for 2-3 years down the track doesn't work anyway.

Sometimes you have cycle of great players that unfortunately come to end at the same time and you have to rebuild you can't avoid it and trying to massage it would be preferable but i don't think either method is successful unless you have a few blokes knocking the door down.

It just is what it is

Pippen94

First Grade
Far too much white ball cricket. He still averaged 40 for the year you dope

Name calling is no substitute for a decent argument.

While ball cricket doesn't stop batters from middleing ball. Mitchell Marsh played himself back into side based on form in those formats. Warner, Head unaffected too..

Bazal

Post Whore
Nope. Every test must be treated with respect because who knows how many the sport has left

There's still an argument for blooding some players here and there though. You can do that without being silly.

I would have put McSweeney in this summer for eg. We are going to need players with some exposure in case of mass retirements and also injuries and form, given the age of a few of them. Better to replace them with guys who have played 8 tests than none

Bazal

Post Whore

So whoever they choose now, realistically needs to be chosen with an open mind that in 18-24 months time there will also be another new opener and new no4 batsmen to compliment the next new opener in the WI series.

I don’t think Green, Harris, Labuschagne, Renshaw, Head, Marsh is the answer from 1-6 but realistically this could be what the batting line up looks like in 24 months.

There will be a bolter or two IMO. Often is.

He's probably not an option but look what a guy like Beau Webster has done? Pick a guy like that in form and confident and they can go places.

McSweeney looks good, his FC average isn't amazing but he's improving it and he's only 24. Importantly he plays the right kind of game IMO.

Ollie Davies could be anything. And I mean that literally, he could be an international star or a grade cricketer lol. But 23 years old, started his FC career with a bang, scores at a rate...no reason he hasn't got the potential for that 6 spot if Green is the all rounder at 4.

There are players around, the issue is CA has been super poor at identifying and managing them in recent years. They just have their go to guys and that's the end of it.

bazza

Immortal

don't think you rest anyone from the current team unless they have an injury (even a minor one)

JJ

Immortal

Marsh is 32 too, good luck to him but he's not one for the future either

Interesting time for the Australian selectors, for sure

King-Gutho94

Coach
There will be a bolter or two IMO. Often is.

He's probably not an option but look what a guy like Beau Webster has done? Pick a guy like that in form and confident and they can go places.

McSweeney looks good, his FC average isn't amazing but he's improving it and he's only 24. Importantly he plays the right kind of game IMO.

Ollie Davies could be anything. And I mean that literally, he could be an international star or a grade cricketer lol. But 23 years old, started his FC career with a bang, scores at a rate...no reason he hasn't got the potential for that 6 spot if Green is the all rounder at 4.

There are players around, the issue is CA has been super poor at identifying and managing them in recent years. They just have their go to guys and that's the end of it.
I would give Ollie Davies a crack in the ODI's against the Windies as well as Jake Fraser-McGuirk.

Give em both a taste of international cricket its the right time to experiment in that format. We are the World Champs so we can do what we want.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Even I wouldn't be calling to put Harris who is a diabolical crab at test level. My grandma could score runs at the Junction Oval in Shield cricket it's not hard to score quick when the ball doesn't move a millimetre there!

Clear as day they want Green in and he's a much better 4. He is not a 6, he's a top order bat.

Look for Pucovski (ideally) to replace Khwaja when the time comes. This might be the challenge Smith needs, as bad as his form has looked he's still averaged 40+ the last year

Pippen94

First Grade
You might want to stick to defending imaginary racism amongst footballers and footy fans

Yeah, that's a loss for u..

people are anti Harris because he is shit

only you could compare him to Hayden or Langer

His numbers at comparable stage of career are equal or better than Langer & Hayden. Not everybody hits ground running in test cricket like mark Waugh or Michael clarke or David Warner..

Latest posts