What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Under-20s squads

mongoose

Coach
I haven't seen the raiders squad yet so here it is according to the website.

Mark Appleton
Joe Bobbin
Cameron Bruest
Jarrod Croker
Michael Cullen
Mitchell Day
Josh Dugan
Rafe Garnon
Cain Henry
Haydon Hodge
Mitchell Kennedy
Blaise Lomax
Drury Low
Sean Loxley
Sam Mataora
Matt Mcilwrick
Chris Medcalf
Tom Murphy
Mark Nicholls
Michael Nixon
Daniel Roberts
Tom Sellars
Lewis Sheppard
Karl Silvano
James Smart
Michael Thomas
Iopu Togia - Foua
Paul Vaughan
Travid Waddell
Waka Wanahi
Sam Williams

Dugan, Waddell, Croker will be playing mostly first grade unless injured.
Low, Mataora and Mcilwrick may also get games.

footy1

Juniors
I haven't seen the raiders squad yet so here it is according to the website.

Mark Appleton
Joe Bobbin
Cameron Bruest
Jarrod Croker
Michael Cullen
Mitchell Day
Josh Dugan
Rafe Garnon
Cain Henry
Haydon Hodge
Mitchell Kennedy
Blaise Lomax
Drury Low
Sean Loxley
Sam Mataora
Matt Mcilwrick
Chris Medcalf
Tom Murphy
Mark Nicholls
Michael Nixon
Daniel Roberts
Tom Sellars
Lewis Sheppard
Karl Silvano
James Smart
Michael Thomas
Iopu Togia - Foua
Paul Vaughan
Travid Waddell
Waka Wanahi
Sam Williams

Dugan, Waddell, Croker will be playing mostly first grade unless injured.
Low, Mataora and Mcilwrick may also get games.

Travis Waddell is not eligible for NYC next year as he is over-age.

A full-strength NYC line-up would look like this:

1. Josh DUGAN
2. Hayden HODGE
3. Jarrod CROKER
4. Daniel VIDOT
5. Drury LOW
6. James SMART
7. Sam WILLIAMS
8. Mark APPLETON
9. Matthew McILWRICK
10. Karl SILVANO
11. Sam MATAORA
12. Mark NICHOLLS (C)
13. Mitchell KENNEDY

14. Sean LOXLEY
15. Tom SELLARS
16. Paul VAUGHAN
17. Justin TOOMEY-WHITE

Extremely impressive side and will win it if this side takes the field, although I doubt Dugan, Croker and Vidot will be there much.

And I don't see the Sharks be favourites for the wooden spoon. Their backline will be the best in the NYC, although their very light in the forwards. My tip for the spoon would be Manly.

footy1

Juniors
for the tigers this winger is a speed machine

Faleula Finau

This kid is a speed demon. He is very quick but also extremely elusive. He played Australian Schoolboys last year and I watched an Arrive Alive Cup game where he was playing alongside a few of the Roosters boys in Boyd Cordner, Jacob Miller and Paul Rokolati for Matraville Sports High and Westfields and he was electric. He has great footwork and will go far although his size might be a disadvantage for him on the wing. Another player who reminds me of Finau is Eddie Tautali who was bought by the Bulldogs. He is in the same mould and he will be a pretty good purchase for the Bulldogs.

On my reasoning of why I tip Manly for the wooden spoon, it's because they've lost their key players in Jamie Buhrer, Jared Wearea-Hargreaves, Kieran Foran, Darcy Lussick to first grade squads and I think William Hopoate will debut early on in the year. Sure they've got good players remaining in James Cunningham, Lama Tasi and Liam Higgins, but I don't know much that will make the move up from SG Ball except for Nathan Clarke, Magnus Stromquist, Gary Riccardi and Josh Portlock. Should be an interesting season though.

Lox

Juniors
This kid is a speed demon. He is very quick but also extremely elusive. He played Australian Schoolboys last year and I watched an Arrive Alive Cup game where he was playing alongside a few of the Roosters boys in Boyd Cordner, Jacob Miller and Paul Rokolati for Matraville Sports High and Westfields and he was electric. He has great footwork and will go far although his size might be a disadvantage for him on the wing. Another player who reminds me of Finau is Eddie Tautali who was bought by the Bulldogs. He is in the same mould and he will be a pretty good purchase for the Bulldogs.

On my reasoning of why I tip Manly for the wooden spoon, it's because they've lost their key players in Jamie Buhrer, Jared Wearea-Hargreaves, Kieran Foran, Darcy Lussick to first grade squads and I think William Hopoate will debut early on in the year. Sure they've got good players remaining in James Cunningham, Lama Tasi and Liam Higgins, but I don't know much that will make the move up from SG Ball except for Nathan Clarke, Magnus Stromquist, Gary Riccardi and Josh Portlock. Should be an interesting season though.

speed demon?? keebra's winger caught him easy n finau had a 30m head start

girvie

Staff member
How big is Finau?

He was top tryscorer in SG Ball this year with 17 tries from 9 games.

footy1

Juniors
Keebra's winger must have been a speed demon as well. Was that Henare Wells that caught him? He is very, very quick as well. Finau is not that big, he is in the mould of Steve Turner but slightly more built with bigger legs. He is very good IMO.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Neecrom should be starting on experience alone but I reckon the Warriors will muck him around initially unless he dominates in the trial games. He's not named in the contracted top 34 eh but he should be. He could take Labans place for a start. I heard he's been a monster at training.

Mua started out with the Hawks prems on the wing this year then dropped back to 18s when the top side didn't make Fox or maybe a bit earlier. Don't know about his pass cos he either scored or dented the line whenever he got the ball in the juniors.

Louisi's problem isn't general fitness, it's injuries.

I never thought Kingi was anything special either in the past but watched him a bit this year and he's well improved. He's added creativity to his game which was missing. He's one of those kids that's a product of good training and coaching rather than natural talent. Seen him training by himself at the local gym lately on top of his Warriors training, that's always a good sign of a players determination to make it.

Totally agree with you on your SG Ball theory and the Warriors obsession with size. Brisbane destroyed them this year with 100kg props, the 20s game is too fast for 110kg wingers like Niko and Limu Franklin etc. An Auckland SG Ball side isn't feasable but the pressure cooker environment is missing from junior football here and the NJC isn't that difficult for Auckland either.

Who's Jethro Friend contracted to? He's the junior player everyone was talking about this year.

Why doesn't Rusty go to the QCup?

Neecrom came back last minute styles I believe why he is not in 25 etc.
Havnet seen him play lately but he'll sh*t over alot of the warriors juniors.
Alot of the warriors juniors forward would get hammered in Fox they have been playing 18's/20's - neecrom dominated years ago as youngster.

I watched Mua dominate at 18's running side way bumping everybody off etc. But I also seen smart players target him on defense and catch him out. However in the rep games they shut him down.
Like Rusty he is slighty dirty - however a bit worse & less skill.
They should have him toucvh - they'll have to teach him the basics if hes got any chance.

Didnt rate the older louisi one bit unless he is heaps better?? havnt seen him play.

Manurewa had the best teams in 16's and 18's imo. Even though rewa lost to mangere in the last seconds in the final.

Only Allen Mulia and Savili are signed up to wider NYC squad from 16's. But theyve been earmarked for years. Savili only 16 will play at least a game if mara goes up.

Jethro Friend carved up and got 18's auckland player of the year and didnt even get an open trial. Too white/small in there eyes - he would be bigger than Isaac Luke lol . I think he has gone to oz - probably Canberra/Tigers hes Harrisons cousin.

Warriors NYC should of played Savili & Friend and dual hookers they would carve by next year.

lifesgood

Juniors
how will the sharks have the best backline in the nyc? who do they have?

cowboys i think will be far from wooden spooners

sharks will be close to wooden spooners again.

Tigers, Melbourne, Roosters are my early favorites. Rabbits will be up there as well as competition contenders! Bulldogs will cause some trouble too

Pigskin

Juniors
I have to tip the winner of the Toyota cup by mid february for a tipping competition

I'd prefer a safety first approach because you score 10 points for the premier, 6 for 2nd and 3 for both knocked out the week before the gf

anybody want to provide some decent analysis and throw club allegiance out the window ?

or does anybody know of a decent season appraisal by a respected journo that maybe has been printed

I don't watch much Toyota cup at all, but I take it that a side might be young one year ... ie all 18yo's and not many of them go up to first grade due to a stable NRL side ... and say they go fairly well ... then the following year with basically the same side and all being almost max age they go nuts and do really well ... is that a fair statement ?

It would appear that Canberra got somewhat plundered after winning the comp in 2008 and then only went so-so in 2009 ... maybe a rebuilding year by Toyota cup standards

I'm a broncos supporter, and we seem to be strongish each year, without winning the comp ... i would imagine our recruiting is comprehensive and wide reaching

any obvious top 8 sides from last year fit into that sort of category ? any guidance on this would be appreciated

Oink !

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
The Storm wil go close again. We'll have the player of the year in Dane Chisholm, the pack is almost the same and is probably better and in Maipele Morseu we have a future star. If Justin O'Neill and Matt Duffie play the majority of the year in NYC we should have too much explosiveness for teams to handle.

Noa

First Grade
Thanks to Fizer at the baistand. This is not an officail list but all got there photo's taken for the NYC profiles. Keep in mind that Dane Chisholm, Justin O;Neill, James Woolford and Matt Duffie got there photos done with the big boys but are all eligible for NYC.

Kirisome Auva'a - Australia school boys rugby centre (sounds like a massive prospect).
Uiti Baker
James Barker
Ken Bromwich
Michael Chee Kam - Backrow. Auckland u/18s
Michael Gavan - Fullback .Kurri Kurri Bulldogs
Lucas Grech
Slade Griffin
Ben Hampton
Tohu Harris
Jake Hawkins
Brett Jarrett
Josh Jerome
Robbie Kurth
Blake Leary
Bennett Leslie - Backrow. Central Coast
Pita Maile
Ryan Marlin
Sam Martin
Jordan McLean
Maipele Morseau
Rob Rochow
Theo Stuart
Young Tonumaipea
Brayden Williams
Jerome Wilson - Knights Sg Ball

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thanks to Fizer at the baistand. This is not an officail list but all got there photo's taken for the NYC profiles. Keep in mind that Dane Chisholm, Justin O;Neill, James Woolford and Matt Duffie got there photos done with the big boys but are all eligible for NYC.

Kirisome Auva'a - Australia school boys rugby centre (sounds like a massive prospect).
Uiti Baker
James Barker
Ken Bromwich
Michael Chee Kam - Backrow. Auckland u/18s
Michael Gavan - Fullback .Kurri Kurri Bulldogs
Lucas Grech
Slade Griffin
Ben Hampton
Tohu Harris
Jake Hawkins
Brett Jarrett
Josh Jerome
Robbie Kurth
Blake Leary
Bennett Leslie - Backrow. Central Coast
Pita Maile
Ryan Marlin
Sam Martin
Jordan McLean
Maipele Morseau
Rob Rochow
Theo Stuart
Young Tonumaipea
Brayden Williams
Jerome Wilson - Knights Sg Ball

Is Tyme Nikau in the wider squad?? Or is he still young enough to play ball.
Seen him play for maoris against Warriors Development and he looked like a gun.

Probably already have heaps of centre options.

Latest posts