What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

well.

theres only so much 9 year olds in bangladesh can do.

sharks should ditch the V retro. weve never won in it. should bust this baby back out
media

I'm not sure I've seen any heritage jerseys this weekend that wouldn't be better current home strips. The only exceptions might be the ones that aren't really appropriate for regular use like the Cowboys' blue kit or that NZ flag design the Warriors wore, although I liked it. I would say the following teams definitely look better in their old designs:

Newcastle
Brisbane
Penrith
Tigers
Cronulla (although their 80s one is better again)

And Canberra always wear their anyway. St George, Parra, Souths and Roosters also usually wear their traditional designs and Manly just stuck to its normal kit. And most of the others look at least as good as their regular strips, for example:

Bulldogs
Titans
Melbourne

And I think most fans agree that the old ones are better. So why don't clubs adopt them as a resgular strip? Especially Penrith. That 1991 strip is so much better than anything they've had since. And Newcastle should either adopt the 1988 or 1997 one.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I've been saying it for ages. But most clubs keep changing their jersey as soon as they are allowed (every 3 years) to make a few bucks from idiot fans who buy every single new jersey. However little extra they make doing it is not worth us having to put up with eyesores. If a few clubs (and the AFL, and almost every other sport) don't feel the need to do it, they shouldn't.

I think the NRL should force every club to let its fans vote on a jersey, then force them to keep it for 10 years.

beads6

First Grade
Heritage Jerseys looks much better, I wish the Broncos would wear there's as a home jersey.

beave

Coach
teams with better heritage jerseys than their current ones

Penrith
Newy
Broncos
Titans
Melbourne
Tigers

Tom Shines

First Grade
how the f**k do Nike make such a great front panel for the Broncos jersey, but totally screw the pooch on the back panel??????? seriously, is it that hard to go through the archives and see what the 1992 jersey looked like??? The back of this thing tonight looks like utter shiite.

Especially with the yellow behind the HANS logo slightly different to the rest of it... that sh*t me.

hellteam

First Grade
how the f**k do Nike make such a great front panel for the Broncos jersey, but totally screw the pooch on the back panel??????? seriously, is it that hard to go through the archives and see what the 1992 jersey looked like??? The back of this thing tonight looks like utter shiite.

Agreed, looks so crap. And to top it off, last year when we had the predominantly yellow jersey, the back was maroon! Figure that one out.

f**kin geniuss, I just don't understand the point of doing it if you're not even going to do it properly. Also, surely it wouldn't have been too hard to bring back the yellow socks and same pants we used to wear with it.

applesauce

Bench
Deadset the Knights heritage is average at best compared to their 1997 jersey... Don't know why they don't use that.

BDGS

Bench
The Melbourne heritage jersey was great, it should make a come back whenever their current one runs out. Maybe perhaps minus the names, yes it looks good but expensive.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Heritage better than current:

* Panthers (a travesty they will ever wear anything else, really)
* Tigers (more down to their awful new jersey than to their heritage - doing the iconic balmain or magpies would be better IMO)
* Broncos (it could be done better)
* Knights (anything is better than that awful thing they have on)
* Bulldogs (I'm not a fan of integrating the v with ccc teardrop - again a team who has that CBB classic jersey yet do not use it)

Spitty

Juniors
I've been saying it for ages. But most clubs keep changing their jersey as soon as they are allowed (every 3 years) to make a few bucks from idiot fans who buy every single new jersey. However little extra they make doing it is not worth us having to put up with eyesores. If a few clubs (and the AFL, and almost every other sport) don't feel the need to do it, they shouldn't.

I think the NRL should force every club to let its fans vote on a jersey, then force them to keep it for 10 years.

Obviously, you've got an intimiate knowledge of club finances to know that they only make a few bucks from changing jerseys. Would you mind telling us all you qualifications.

Almost every other sport hey? AFL clubs have 50,000+ memmberships 80,000 crowds and an overpriced TV deal. All the US sports kepp the same jerseys because they have 1 team to about 2,000,000 people and often sell out every game in a season. Souths don't change their jersey because their owned by a millionaire, Manly for the same reason, St George don't because they have 2 leagues clubs and the ability to sell memberships to two different markets. Canberra are feeling the bite and need to change their jerseys. Every soccer league in the world changes their jerseys yearly. Including the two richest soccer leagues, The EPL and Bundisliga.

So with your vast knowledge of other sports and of NRL club finances can you now explain how you come to the conclussion that regularly changing jerseys is an unusual and pointless thing?

flippikat

Bench
well.

theres only so much 9 year olds in bangladesh can do.

sharks should ditch the V retro. weve never won in it. should bust this baby back out
media

oh.. the Reebok - I think they only used that for maybe 2 seasons (1995-6), then along came SL...

Mind you, I have a soft spot for the shark-fin design from just a few years ago.

Oh, and if Penrith change their home jersey to the 'allsorts' design, then they should bring back the 1970s vertical stripes as their heritage jersey:

penrith-panthers-home-rugby-shirt-1973-s_1253_1.jpg

For one thing, it'd be unique :)

Latest posts