What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
You’re like Seinfeld’s lonely friend who owns a ping pong table. Sad.

Lol i do own a ping pong table and you have proven to be hypocritical in this site. Just wondering why your change in stance on consolidating/strengthening rugby league in Sydney and the value of additional clubs for the NRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Glad you enjoyed it PR. Was their any promotional vans/mentions or banners about the approaching World Cup?

Yes they had a stand outside with both the RLWC' trophies and you could get your photo with them. They had a couple of banners around it promoting the Sydney games. Thought they might have run some ads during the pre game on the big screen but alas not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I assume the people in the storm and cowboys bays got free flags? There were so many no way did they bring it from home. Looked fantastic.

They started off flogging them for $25 each then just before kick off came around and gave away what ever they hadn't sold

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ask Sydney FC fans how second rate their model made the sport look this year.
I'm not familiar with what happened. Was there a reason it was played at Allianz instead of ANZ? Obviously we would ensure that any Sydney Grand Final under this model would be played at ANZ

There were WC ads on the big screen during the U20s and State Cup Final half times.

The flags were for the members in their member bays. They were free.

Pommy

Coach
I'm not familiar with what happened. Was there a reason it was played at Allianz instead of ANZ? Obviously we would ensure that any Sydney Grand Final under this model would be played at ANZ

Well they wanted to play at Allianz because its their home ground and they couldn't fill ANZ anyway.
ANZ wasn't being used that weekend so there was track work preventing games being played there even if they could have organised it.
Sydney FC had to play the grand final on the Sunday afternoon with Roosters playing on the surface Friday night and Warratahs on the Saturday if I remember correctly. Obviously the pitch wasn't really up to standard.
Booking such a big event a week out really isn't a good idea in my opinion.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They woo them better than rugby league because they are 'mates' for want of a better word. They have a click as the big end of town are full of private school educated people. If they dont see or know about rugby league then its that much more difficult for the 'favours' to come rugby league's way.

It really strikes me that Universities and even most private schools in Queensland now play Union and AFL only some Universities play league. This is a real concern, is it something that the ARLC is doing wrong? If AFL can get a run in QLD, surely we can. I work with a girl that got into AFL because it is offered at her Uni (Bond Uni Gold Coast), they have a Union team but league is nowhere to be seen, this is too common in one of the game's stronghold regions.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well they wanted to play at Allianz because its their home ground and they couldn't fill ANZ anyway.
ANZ wasn't being used that weekend so there was track work preventing games being played there even if they could have organised it.
Sydney FC had to play the grand final on the Sunday afternoon with Roosters playing on the surface Friday night and Warratahs on the Saturday if I remember correctly. Obviously the pitch wasn't really up to standard.

Thanks for the info and yes, fair enough - I can definately see us becoming a laughing stock because we couldn't book a premier venue due to the lack of notice.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
It should become a tradition of the NSW based clubs that all of the players, cheerleaders and club legends of each club that hasn't made the semi final attend the Sydney semi final and try to get as many of their club members to attend as possible. Throw club barbecues around the arena.

Maybe they could have specific sections allocated to each club so the fans can attend and sit and watch the game with the players and cheerleaders there together. Players and legends sign some kids autographs or whatever. Get some membership stalls going.

Stallion

First Grade
It really strikes me that Universities and even most private schools in Queensland now play Union and AFL only some Universities play league. This is a real concern, is it something that the ARLC is doing wrong? If AFL can get a run in QLD, surely we can. I work with a girl that got into AFL because it is offered at her Uni (Bond Uni Gold Coast), they have a Union team but league is nowhere to be seen, this is too common in one of the game's stronghold regions.

That is one of the major concerns for this code! Its not been seen as an issue by the powers that be! If remedied it opens up a whole new demographic and business ties not currently enjoyed by the NRL. Its amazing the third-rate treatment this code is copping despite being very popular.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is one of the major concerns for this code! Its not been seen as an issue by the powers that be! If remedied it opens up a whole new demographic and business ties not currently enjoyed by the NRL. Its amazing the third-rate treatment this code is copping despite being very popular.

There's a reason most pollies, media leaders and corporates are fans of the other code and why they get twice as much sponsorship. Unfortunately our working class perception has become a negative where it used to be our strength.

carcharias

Immortal
It should become a tradition of the NSW based clubs that all of the players, cheerleaders and club legends of each club that hasn't made the semi final attend the Sydney semi final and try to get as many of their club members to attend as possible. Throw club barbecues around the arena.

Maybe they could have specific sections allocated to each club so the fans can attend and sit and watch the game with the players and cheerleaders there together. Players and legends sign some kids autographs or whatever. Get some membership stalls going.

I can remember when other clubs used to do some parade thing on GF day
I remember seeing Russell Fairfax dressed as an aboriginal in full body boot polish.
No idea what that was all about.
I was very young

Pommy

Coach

That would have probably worked 10 years ago but I bet security concerns would stop it now.

Pommy

Coach
Each club would bring their own security guards and ushers (do we have those) as well.

I think it would have to be an all encompassing effort for the event run by the police with private security working under them.
Having a lot of high profile people mingling with tens of thousands of people is going to be a bigger issue than you are making it out to be in 2017.

I’m not saying it’s not a good idea just that it’s a bit more difficult than getting players to turn up with some snags.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
There's a reason most pollies, media leaders and corporates are fans of the other code and why they get twice as much sponsorship. Unfortunately our working class perception has become a negative where it used to be our strength.

This issue has its origins in rugby league's presence or lack thereof in the school system. Particularly private. Lately its grown to the public sphere.

El Diablo

Post Whore
NJF_SockPuppets-982bd399.jpeg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

RLs working class perception is one of the most valuable thigs we have, "the game that speaks directly to the people, blah blah"

Our problem is that it isnt just a perception, we are actually by working class morons who dispose new ideas just because they are "corporate", "why does the CEO need a private driver, i know plently of cabs companies who would do basically the same thing for way less"

A working class appearencs masking a relentlesly corporate opporation would be perfect, but any time we get close, the old boys drag us back into te dark ages...

In the A-League, the team that wins through to the Grand Final first gets to host it. That has been how they've done it since the league commenced. I think you'll find the rationale is the FFA are not confident at this time to plonk down their GF in a city before knowing who will be in it in case they wind up with two out of town teams as they fear they won't get a sell out crowd if they do.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
In the A-League, the team that wins through to the Grand Final first gets to host it. That has been how they've done it since the league commenced. I think you'll find the rationale is the FFA are not confident at this time to plonk down their GF in a city before knowing who will be in it in case they wind up with two out of town teams as they fear they won't get a sell out crowd if they do.

Fairly different circumstances based on support levels of the competition vs NRL. Can you imagine this is applied and the Cowboys qualify to host the Grand Final in Townsville?

Latest posts