What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Teddyboy

First Grade
Had a look at were the AFL trials are being played and it's astounding that the Nrl clubs just persist with trials at the same old sysney grounds in a region that sees 90+ regular season games every year! the charity shield crowds are in terminal decline,maybe they should make this game a roadshow and have it in country areas rather than Olympic Park which apparently nobody likes

Coffs, Port mac, Tamworth, Wagga, Dubbo... The list goes on.....these places should be serviced With trials every year and season matches at intervals as well

Sydney clubs are insular in so many levels, on an international basis, state basis and city basis. mostly run by self serving morons.
NRL is a cluster f**k at the moment,

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Had a look at were the AFL trials are being played and it's astounding that the Nrl clubs just persist with trials at the same old sysney grounds in a region that sees 90+ regular season games every year! the charity shield crowds are in terminal decline,maybe they should make this game a roadshow and have it in country areas rather than Olympic Park which apparently nobody likes

Coffs, Port mac, Tamworth, Wagga, Dubbo... The list goes on.....these places should be serviced With trials every year and season matches at intervals as well

Sydney clubs are insular in so many levels, on an international basis, state basis and city basis. mostly run by self serving morons.

While I tend to agree, it's worth noting the AFL's pre-season format is structured - each team plays roughly 3 games from memory across four weeks. There are six games each week for the first three and nine in the last week. That's a total of 27.

Of those, 15 games are played at regular AFL venues or in metro areas, with 12 regional games.

Excluding Nines and the WCS, including the All Stars, we had 16 trials by comparison. of those, half were played at non-regular NRL venues, the other half played at venues used by the NRL throughout the year.

The 'dots on a map' argument has merit but thought the comparison relevant given how informal our pre-season is compared to theirs.

Teddyboy

First Grade
The NRL seems to be all over the place and rather messy ( and thats not just the awful yearly changes they butcher the jerseys too ), but you got 9's which crowds are dropping, WCC which the fanfare in the UK was so low level, All Stars which can't sell out, Charity Shield which no one cares about and trials being played in Sydney when really the NRL trials gospel should have all games in none NRL areas.
26 weeks is way too long but thats nothing compared to the SL in the UK, SOO can not sell out all the time Sydney RL on Thursday to Sunday is 4 one too many day to have games on as well as 6.00 pm start ????.
I wish in the future the NRL becomes less cluttered and more about bums on seats as look at Rugby League now and then look at it 30 years ago and looks complete different game players, jerseys etc yet the NFL looks no different today or in 1987.

Rant over and not drinking.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Clubs are too lazy to take the trials outside sydney..

Transport costs, hotels, etc.. they probably break even after gates.

NSW has some great country RL venues at tamworth , mudgee, coffs, etc..

Shame to see it go to waste.. but when you let clubs run the comp.. why would they bother...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The NRL seems to be all over the place and rather messy ( and thats not just the awful yearly changes they butcher the jerseys too ), but you got 9's which crowds are dropping, WCC which the fanfare in the UK was so low level, All Stars which can't sell out, Charity Shield which no one cares about and trials being played in Sydney when really the NRL trials gospel should have all games in none NRL areas.
26 weeks is way too long but thats nothing compared to the SL in the UK, SOO can not sell out all the time Sydney RL on Thursday to Sunday is 4 one too many day to have games on as well as 6.00 pm start ????.
I wish in the future the NRL becomes less cluttered and more about bums on seats as look at Rugby League now and then look at it 30 years ago and looks complete different game players, jerseys etc yet the NFL looks no different today or in 1987.

Rant over and not drinking.
You are a better man when you are drunk Teddles.

Teddyboy

First Grade
You are a better man when you are drunk Teddles.
NRL despite the lack of biff and shoulder charges has the perfect product on the field most of the team but just seems all over the place with season, expansion, all stars, WCC, 9's, over the top about SOO yet the NFL seems so straight forward despite being not so perfect on the field.

taipan

Referee
NRL despite the lack of biff and shoulder charges has the perfect product on the field most of the team but just seems all over the place with season, expansion, all stars, WCC, 9's, over the top about SOO yet the NFL seems so straight forward despite being not so perfect on the field.

" All over the place". That was last night Teddy after a few glasses off the warm stuff, no doubt?

Teddyboy

First Grade
" All over the place". That was last night Teddy after a few glasses off the warm stuff, no doubt?
C'mon less about my vice's and more on what the hell could happen to Rugby League and what NRL and SL should be doing.
Rugby League back in the 1989-1994 era seemed to be straight forward and not all over the place till Super League war.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"seemed to be" being the operative word.

Super League and the reasons for it didn't happen in the blink of an eye.

Raiderdave

First Grade
its being reported that ticket sales are 60% ahead of round 1 last year
thats very encouraging
where do we think crowds will be next week ?

I ve heard Shark Park is all but sold out , but ive heard nothing else about any other venues

taipan

Referee
C'mon less about my vice's and more on what the hell could happen to Rugby League and what NRL and SL should be doing.
Rugby League back in the 1989-1994 era seemed to be straight forward and not all over the place till Super League war.

Despite the faults of rugby league circa 2017,it is miles ahead of what it was in the years you mentioned.Considering there was SFA competition from other sports then.

Lambretta

First Grade
Memberships are up 15% on this time last season - that's got to be a positive

At the moment the dangers as I see them for Rugby League are as follows

Scheduling affecting crowd numbers - the schedule is all about TV and even then it's been ill thought out
Friday Night game at 6pm? Clashing with the news and dinner time? How is that going to rate?
Yes this time slot could work for certain teams in large CBD areas (Storm, Roosters, Broncos) but a 6.30pm kick off would be greatly beneficial even then.
Day games in the early round when 30+ degree days are likely etc - the first 4 rounds should all be evening games - then from April on wards, have a Saturday afternoon game, a 5.30 game and 2 x 7.30 games = 4 games on the Saturday. We need to acknowledge that the fans are as important as television. No one wants to watch games played at empty grounds. Monday Night Football was a failure for a reason. The best games to watch are the ones with atmosphere. Television has a vested interest to be involved in the NRL getting this right

Investment in grass roots Rugby League - the clubs are myopic here. Insisting on heavy funding for them today. The game needs more funding to grass roots

Country games - scrap City v Country and take Origin round games to Country towns each year
Do this every year and rotate the games between your top 10 regional grounds. Melbourne and Canberra can cover the Riverina and so on

Warriors Fever

Juniors
thats very encouraging

I ve heard Shark Park is all but sold out , but ive heard nothing else about any other venues
Got tickets to the bulldogs match last weekend pax 11,151. hopefully more have shifted since, how's the Cows game going anyone.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Memberships are up 15% on this time last season - that's got to be a positive

At the moment the dangers as I see them for Rugby League are as follows

Scheduling affecting crowd numbers - the schedule is all about TV and even then it's been ill thought out
Friday Night game at 6pm? Clashing with the news and dinner time? How is that going to rate?
Yes this time slot could work for certain teams in large CBD areas (Storm, Roosters, Broncos) but a 6.30pm kick off would be greatly beneficial even then.
Day games in the early round when 30+ degree days are likely etc - the first 4 rounds should all be evening games - then from April on wards, have a Saturday afternoon game, a 5.30 game and 2 x 7.30 games = 4 games on the Saturday. We need to acknowledge that the fans are as important as television. No one wants to watch games played at empty grounds. Monday Night Football was a failure for a reason. The best games to watch are the ones with atmosphere. Television has a vested interest to be involved in the NRL getting this right

Investment in grass roots Rugby League - the clubs are myopic here. Insisting on heavy funding for them today. The game needs more funding to grass roots

Country games - scrap City v Country and take Origin round games to Country towns each year
Do this every year and rotate the games between your top 10 regional grounds. Melbourne and Canberra can cover the Riverina and so on
I think Melbourne are better off taking a game to Tassie as its regional area. otherwise with the exception of the Broncos and maybe Newcastle every club should look to take at least one game somewhere else.

thats very encouraging

so the ground record at the sharks is like 22k but we cant actually fit that many in any more given the southern stand.
I reckon we will get 19k and its gonna be crammed as f**k on the hills.

there is no way in hell anyone will be able to get a beer and see any of the game.
so get your drinking in early at the leagues or at another venue.

for what its worth you can only buy general admission.
whatever that means on the ticketek "allocation exhausted etc."

Lambretta

First Grade
I think Melbourne are better off taking a game to Tassie as its regional area. otherwise with the exception of the Broncos and maybe Newcastle every club should look to take at least one game somewhere else.

The Roosters are playing the Sharks in Gosford (because Wyong are our reserve grade side) and Storm in Adelaide
This is smarter than playing the Warriors in Wellington, the Cowboys in Darwin or the Knights in Gosford as those places are practically home grounds for the other teams

I like the idea of playing the Storm in Melbourne, because traditionally SA people support SA teams first and anyone who is playing a VIC team second

Warriors Fever

Juniors
The Roosters are playing the Sharks in Gosford (because Wyong are our reserve grade side) and Storm in Adelaide
This is smarter than playing the Warriors in Wellington, the Cowboys in Darwin or the Knights in Gosford as those places are practically home grounds for the other teams

I like the idea of playing the Storm in Melbourne, because traditionally SA people support SA teams first and anyone who is playing a VIC team second
That's good innovation from the chooks, I like how they've taken a decent drawing match up to Gosford rather than say the Titans, Raiders, Warriors. Showing more respect to the people of Gosford.