What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 GF | PREMIERS - Storm 34-6 Cowboys @ ANZ

Grand Final: Storm v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lebbo73

Bench
Obviously I want the Storm to win but wouldn't be upset if the Cowboys got up
I thought the same thing in 2015. I purchased GF tickets and made the long drive down to the game from Toowoomba. Losing to the Cows didn't reduce the pain. Maybe that was because of the dropped balls with a minute to go when it was seemingly over. Maybe it was Hunt who dropped the GF in golden point. I still haven't escaped this butthurt!

King hit

Coach
I thought the same thing in 2015. I purchased GF tickets and made the long drive down to the game from Toowoomba. Losing to the Cows didn't reduce the pain. Maybe that was because of the dropped balls with a minute to go when it was seemingly over. Maybe it was Hunt who dropped the GF in golden point. I still haven't escaped this butthurt!

You drove from Toowoomba to Sydney?

Lebbo73

Bench
I spend a fair bit of time there (currently in Toowoomba for the weekend) and my family there always go to Brisbane if they are travelling. Haven't heard of someone there driving to Sydney.
It was a choice between free fuel or a grand each for plane tickets from Brissy. Stayed near Newie and went to a Bowls Club Saturday arvo to watch my beloved Hawthorn win the GF and drink beer.

Knightmare

Coach
Apparently Macklemore has been dumped and pre match entertainment will consist of a pack of disabled and depressed people lining up for Billy Slater and Cameron Smith to insult.

Why would he do that? It's not his go.

Did he turn you down once or something?

As for this game...I keep thinking back to the 1998 Bulldogs and hoping the Cowboys aren't the 2017 version. In '98 the Bulldogs scraped into the finals and got over the Bears, came-back to win against an injury-depleted Knights team and then snatch victory in THAT game against the Eels...

They played the part of a wrecking ball, knocking out two sides (Knights, Eels) who legitimately could have toppled the Broncos on their day. Then the Bulldogs lined up against a star-studded Broncos team in the decider...but were shown up 36-12.

Likewise this Cowboys team have the Dragons to thank for even making the finals- and they've shown plenty of spirit and self-belief in overturning 3 teams I could have seen really being able to trouble the Storm on GF day. Like the Bulldogs, right now NQ are the fairytale underdogs, high on emotion- but do they have one more upset left in them?

For the sake of every non-Storm fan watching, I hope so. The quality of footy overall this year has been a downer (ignoring the commentator fap-fest over close finals matches) and to see NQ upset the Storm would be the biggest buzz to an otherwise forgettable season since Darren Albert streaked over with 6 seconds to go against Manly 20 years ago...

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Why would he do that? It's not his go.

In '98 the Bulldogs scraped into the finals and got over the Bears, came-back to win against an injury-depleted Knights team and then snatch victory in THAT game against the Eels...

They played the part of a wrecking ball, knocking out two sides (Knights, Eels) who legitimately could have toppled the Broncos on their day. Then the Bulldogs lined up against a star-studded Broncos team in the decider...but were shown up 36-12.

Yup, they beat St George as well in the finals that year. Led Broncos at halftime in the GF but ran out of steam big time. Parramatta actually beat the Broncos in the finals that year. I think the Cows are the real deal though and a different story from Canterbury flukey come from behind wins.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah the fitness thing I'm not sure is a big deal with the Cows.
Green rotates his forwards very, very well and part of the reason the team has great composure is because that rotation in the middle game usually means Cows drop intensity and let in a few tries.
They basically have to hold steady and then surge at the end quarter of the game.

Strategically this is a very interesting match up.

King hit

Coach
I would really like to see the Cowboys win but once again i don't think they will. They've been fantastic but I feel Melbourne will get on top of them. Been the best team all season, they would be desperate to send Cronk out a winner with the speculation, and after last season they would be fired up about being 2nd best and won't let another fairytale happen at their expense. Also no team wins from outside the top 4 so the Cowboys have that to overcome.

Prove me wrong again Cowboys

_Johnsy

Referee
Everything points to a Melbourne win, Cows were not meant to make it. They only qualified for the top 8 due to our pure incompetence (You're welcome NQ).

According to every bookmaker in the land NQ can't win it. ;)

I am the only one that has seen Melbourne play un-Melbourne like football (errors/panicked footy) during the finals?

moffla

Bench
I am the only one that has seen Melbourne play un-Melbourne like football (errors/panicked footy) during the finals?
Been mentioned a couple of times and rightly so - our first halves have been poor past two games but I'm sure it's something the coaching staff are looking at

GongPanther

Referee
That 40-0 hiding of Melbourne courtesy of Manly a few years ago will seriously be challenged,and deathly applied.

Mel $1.26 Cows $4.00? And Mel to win by 13+ @ $2.20 is money for jam.

Nth Qld may have made the 2017 GF,but after it,they'll wish they never made the 8.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I dont know about this "unmelbourne" stuff. They chuck the ball around a fair bit and back their defensive line if they make an error.

When they beat NQ pretty comfortably a few weeks ago they only completed at 76 percent.

They dont grind unless they have to. They are pretty entertaining imo

diggo

Juniors
As much as I would like to see the Cowboys win it; I just can't see it happening.

Melbourne this year have the best roster in their history and they have dominated the competition more than any other team I can remember. They have had 4 losses this year and all of them were injury effected. To think that they could have gone through the entire season undefeated without the injuries/origin period.. it's incredible.

Melbourne have conceded an average of 13 points per game this year. In the past 8 weeks, they have conceded just 8 points per game. The Cowboys will be suffocated in attack.

The Cowboys have been unbelievable in the last 3 weeks - but they have been beating teams in a different class. They are now stepping up to the rugby league equivalent of Winx. It will be one hell of a win if they can do it.