What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Finals Schedule News/Predictions/Requests etc.

Valheru

Coach
The pieces are starting to fall in to place now. What do we think week 1 should/will look like?

The only certainly is Storm hosting the 1 v 4 fixture at AAMI Park. I can't see this being played at any time other than Saturday night as the AFL has scheduled Geelong/Richmond for the Friday night at the MCG expecting 90k and there is no AFL in Melbourne on the Saturday.

That would leave 2 v 3 for the Friday night which I am sure channel 9 would want given the likelihood of Brisbane being involved.

There is a chance that the SFS could host 3 finals if the Roosters, Sharks and Manly finish 2, 5 and 6 respectively. As mentioned, I expect the roosters game to be the Friday so that leaves the possibility of the SFS hosting both EF fixtures on Saturday and Sunday at 4PM. The potential issue there is the swans are scheduled on that Saturday at the bizarre time of 4:20PM at the SCG. Not sure if having 2 finals fixtures at the precinct at the same time is good for either party. Cowboys or Penrith finishing 6th would prevent this scenario as they could host the Saturday EF. Cowboys finishing 6th might necessitate the Storm game being the day game due to heat.

PREDICTED SCHEDULE

Roosters V Broncos - Friday 8 September 8:10PM (SFS)
Manly v Dragons - Saturday 9 September 4:10 PM (SFS or ANZ if they don't want to go up against the swans)
Storm v Parra - Saturday 9 September 7:45PM (AAMI)
Sharks v Panthers - Sunday 10 September 4:10PM (SFS)

The above actually looks ok for crowds as well. Anyways, there are plenty of other permutations and possibilities.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Storm won't host Friday night at AAMI with the Geelong-Richmond game on at the same time.

I'd expect that game to be the 5pm Saturday match.

Storm won't host Friday night at AAMI with the Geelong-Richmond game on at the same time.

I'd expect that game to be the 5pm Saturday match.

Just so we can see it, this is what the AFL Finals schedule for the same week -

Thursday, September 7
First qualifying final
Adelaide Crows v Greater Western Sydney at Adelaide Oval, 7.20pm ACST

Friday, September 8
Second qualifying final
Geelong Cats v Richmond at the MCG, 7.50pm AEST

Saturday, September 9
Second elimination final
Sydney Swans v Essendon at SCG, 4.20pm AEST

First elimination final
Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles at Adelaide Oval, 7.20pm ACST.

As such Timmah, I agree with you putting the Storm's finals match on at 5.00 pm Saturday game makes more sense.

You can bet Channel 9 will want the game the Broncos are in on the Friday night.

Clifferd

Coach
Slightly off topic but why don't we go back to the traditional Saturday/Sunday week 2 & 3 time slots? I miss prelim finals on a Sunday arvo.

Marlins

Juniors
My prediction
Friday
Roosters Vs Eels SFS

Saturday
Sharks Vs Manly SFS
Storm Vs Broncos AAMI

Sunday
Panthers Vs Dragons Peppers
or does it have to be Anz/SFS?

Would work out good for crowds

Tommy Smith

Referee
My prediction
Friday
Roosters Vs Eels SFS

Saturday
Sharks Vs Manly SFS
Storm Vs Broncos AAMI

Sunday

This scenario is not possible.

For the Roosters to play the Eels in the 2v3 clash the Broncos would have to lose to the Cowboys, in which case the Cowboys would make the top 8 :D

Timmah

Staff member
Slightly off topic but why don't we go back to the traditional Saturday/Sunday week 2 & 3 time slots? I miss prelim finals on a Sunday arvo.
I'm used to it now, plus it gives the NSW and QLD Cups clear air on the Sunday for their finals

Danny-Boy

Juniors
My prediction;

Friday:
Storm vs Broncos at Aami Park

Saturday:
Roosters vs Eels at Allianz Stadium

Cowboys vs Sea Eagles at 1300Smiles Stadium

Sunday:
Sharks vs Dragons at Allianz Stadium

moffla

Bench
The NRL have surely already pencilled the Storm game in for the Sat.
Would be mental to do otherwise

My prediction is anyone finishing 6th or 7th or lose the 2nd vs 3rd match will be on Melbourne's side of the draw and have zero chance of making the GF.

King Ben

Juniors
Friday: Roosters vs. Broncos at Allianz
Saturday: Sharks vs. Cowboys at Allianz, Storm vs. Eels at AAMI
Sunday: Panthers vs. Dragons at Allianz or ANZ.

Big weekend for Moore Park.

Timmah

Staff member
My prediction
Friday
Roosters Vs Eels SFS

Saturday
Sharks Vs Manly SFS
Storm Vs Broncos AAMI

Sunday

Panthers v Dragons would likely be at ANZ I'd say. Cannot be Pepper and not sure it makes sense to play at SFS

According to today's Sydney Morning Herald, the NRL were planning on having the Storm play their final match in week 1 on Friday night. This plan apparently has been scotched due to the Geelong v Richmond AFL finals game being scheduled for that night at the MCG.

The interesting crinkle is this bit from the article cited above -

If all the favourites win in the final round of the regular season this weekend, the Roosters, Sharks and Sea Eagles will all earn the right to host home finals. All three clubs would prefer to play at Allianz Stadium, but the clash with the AFL means it's likely at least one team will have to play at Homebush.