What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Finals Schedule News/Predictions/Requests etc.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Tigers are a big drawing team for finals.

But I'm struggling to work out if that's because they have a big fan base or because it's at best a once every 4 year occasion quite like the Olympics.

Card Shark

Immortal
According to today's Sydney Morning Herald, the NRL were planning on having the Storm play their final match in week 1 on Friday night. This plan apparently has been scotched due to the Geelong v Richmond AFL finals game being scheduled for that night at the MCG.

The interesting crinkle is this bit from the article cited above -

Well that is shit.

They can play 1 Friday, 1 Saturday & 1 Sunday.

Allianz is our finals home & if we are forced to move elsewhere, I'd be pissed.

Incorrect

Coach
Slightly off topic but why don't we go back to the traditional Saturday/Sunday week 2 & 3 time slots? I miss prelim finals on a Sunday arvo.
The answer to this question is, as is the case with many quetions when it comes to NRL...

Because TV says so.....

The roosters should be first to go as sharks & eagles have already moved from their home ground for the finals.

Yeah, the team that will likely finish 2nd should move their game for the teams likely to finish in the bottom half of the eight :rolleyes:

Quite frankly I agree with your proposition I don't see why any games in week 1 would (at this stage) need to be played at ANZ. That may change if Parramatta wind up qualifying for a home final though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While I'm not a fan of playing up against the MCG final on Friday in Melbourne, I don't see it as too outlandish to play on Saturday at Allianz. The area has handled it a few times in the past few years.

Card Shark

Immortal
Yeah, the team that will likely finish 2nd should move their game for the teams likely to finish in the bottom half of the eight :rolleyes:

Quite frankly I agree with your proposition I don't see why any games in week 1 would (at this stage) need to be played at ANZ. That may change if Parramatta wind up qualifying for a home final though.

That bit was a bit tongue in cheek mate but if a team has earned the right to a home semi, surely they don't have to have their 3rd pick home ground.

If we are forced out there, I'd downplay our chances of winning big time compared to playing @ Allianz.

We will be the ones shafted....I can see it now. Too far for Manly people to go & can't move the roosters.

Anyway, when the panthers beat the eagles, it won't matter.

Clifferd

Coach
The Tigers are a big drawing team for finals.

But I'm struggling to work out if that's because they have a big fan base or because it's at best a once every 4 year occasion quite like the Olympics.

Mustn't be that bad if you poach our fullback? :p

Clifferd

Coach
Lol @ people complaining about their team playing at sfs or anz

You've had 12 home games to see your team play @ your suburban ground & you've literally known for years you'll either play your home semi at sfs or anz

I don't see the issue?

Card Shark

Immortal
I don't see the issue?

Well then read my posts!

Who's complaining about not playing at their normal home ground???

It's about winning & not being eliminated.

I'd rather play our semi at SFS than shark park....we just seem to lift there. As for Homebush, no thanks!

Clifferd

Coach
Well then read my posts!

Who's complaining about not playing at their normal home ground???

It's about winning & not being eliminated.

I'd rather play our semi at SFS than shark park....we just seem to lift there. As for Homebush, no thanks!

Come finals time who cares where you play. If you're good enough, you'll win.

The finals series seperate the pretenders from the contenders

Valheru

Coach
If it ends up being Roosters V Parra in the 2 v 3 game I can see that one being moved to ANZ if there are 2 other games to be played at SFS. Of the 3 options, that would get the best attendance at ANZ you would think although it would piss me off.

That would mean opening the finals with a EF on the Friday night but that was done last year.

If it ends up being Roosters V Parra in the 2 v 3 game I can see that one being moved to ANZ if there are 2 other games to be played at SFS. Of the 3 options, that would get the best attendance at ANZ you would think although it would piss me off.

That would mean opening the finals with a EF on the Friday night but that was done last year.

The Roosters v Parra scenario though should not occur (provided they wind up finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively) as then you are rewarding the 3rd placed team with the home final in week 1 - remember, ANZ is the Eels home ground in 2017. That would make the whole "home final" concept farcical if you rewarded the lower placed team.

As Card Shark said up thread, if the Sydney based teams who are supposed to host a final wind up being the Roosters, Sharks and Sea Eagles then why do any of those games have to be played at ANZ just because the Swans have a game at the SCG at 4.20 pm? If you make the 8pm Saturday game at the SFS you should minimize crowding issues in my book.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Roosters v Parra scenario though should not occur (provided they wind up finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively) as then you are rewarding the 3rd placed team with the home final in week 1 - remember, ANZ is the Eels home ground in 2017. That would make the whole "home final" concept farcical if you rewarded the lower placed team.
Apollo, meet NRL.

NRL, this is Apollo.

Screenshot_20170829-132703.jpg

If it's Roosters v Eels 2v3 you just know it'll be at ANZ to give us a good deep pounding.

Valheru

Coach

As Card Shark said up thread, if the Sydney based teams who are supposed to host a final wind up being the Roosters, Sharks and Sea Eagles then why do any of those games have to be played at ANZ just because the Swans have a game at the SCG at 4.20 pm? If you make the 8pm Saturday game at the SFS you should minimize crowding issues in my book.

I absolutely agree.

This is the NRL though and all I am saying is I can see them doing it. They have already told us (in 2013) that any roosters home prelim against souths/dogs/parra will be at ANZ so it is not a stretch that they would move a potential QF if they felt the need to move one of them.

I agree they should just play 3 fixtures at the SFS if required though. I actually think the 6PM game might be a better option. All the AFL fans will be settled in and the buses can continue for NRL. There would then be a staggered rush of fans leaving at approx. 7PM and 7:45 PM. If you start it at 8PM you have the scenario of 40k trying to leave as 30k try and turn up which might be a bit of a nightmare for buses, parking etc.

Latest posts