What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 NRL Pre-Season

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A few bits and pieces trickling through already, mostly about clubs NOT wanting to be part of the WCC.

2017 Pre-Season

4-5 February
Auckland Nines - Eden Park

16-17 February
WCC - Wigan v Cronulla @ DW Stadium

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
IT is the $400,000 cheque no one wants.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that seven of the eight NRL finals sides will reject an invitation to play English runners-up Warrington in February.

The two-game World Series will pit the NRL and Super League champions — Cronulla and Wigan — against each other in the traditional World Club Challenge.

The two runners-up — Melbourne and Warrington — are also supposed to meet, but the problem is Melbourne want to bypass the 35,000km round trip.

The next team in line, third-placed Canberra, also have no interest, nor does the North Queensland, who thrashed Leeds 38-4 in this year’s World Club Challenge.

Fifth-placed Brisbane, sixth-placed Penrith, seven-placed Canterbury and eight-placed Gold Coast Titans are also reluctant to make the taxing trip.

The NRL and Super League have an agreement that two Australian teams must travel to England, but there isn’t any stipulation on which team.

The NRL club to play the match will pocket $100,000 with the remaining $300,000 to cover costs.

The winner of the World Club Challenge will collect an extra $50,000.

The two games are scheduled for February 16 and 17 — less than two weeks after the Auckland Nines and while trial matches are scheduled.

With the NRL season to begin in early March, Melbourne chief executive Dave Donaghy has no interest in increasing the pressure on his players.

“We do have some serious concerns about travelling across to the other side of the world two weeks out from our season starting for what is effectively a trial match,’’ Donaghy said.

“We’ve had two trials matches locked in for a long time and that may be a better option for us as we look to build into next season.’’

Raiders CEO Don Furner added: “We haven’t been approached but certainly it’s not in our plans to be going over. We have trials planned and when we give our players their breaks.”

Cowboys football manager Peter Parr was even more blunt about the interest in the game.

“I would have to speak to the coach (Paul Green) — and I can’t speak for him — but I would suggest we’d be reluctant. It’s a long way to go for a game that doesn’t mean anything,” Parr said.

Broncos chairman Dennis Watt said: “Our club has a full program set for 2017 and hasn’t planned for an overseas trip.”

Penrith chief executive Brian Fletcher said the club already had six players on Four Nations duty and it was never on their radar.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley added: “I’d have to talk to (coach) Neil Henry but we have our trials locked in — one in Northern Territory, another in New Zealand. We are contracted to both. At this late stage, it (going to England) would be unlikely.”

The NRL may have to force Melbourne into travelling or face a non-final side heading to England.

Wigan booked their place against Cronulla with a 12-6 win over Warrington in Saturday’s Super League grand final at Old Trafford.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/335d7a6cce7a460ff0b1f4b7374c8d03

T-Boon

Coach
Well done to the clubs. Way to support the game..

Its really Melbourne Storm. I'd force them to go if I was the NRL - wrestle them onto the plane.

What exactly do they do to promote the game these guys? Example: Play their lower grades and academy out of a city 1400kms from where they are meant to be developing the code.

POPEYE

Coach
Its really Melbourne Storm. I'd force them to go if I was the NRL - wrestle them onto the plane.

What exactly do they do to promote the game these guys? Example: Play their lower grades and academy out of a city 1400kms from where they are meant to be developing the code.
Who do you follow Captain F**kwit

some11

Referee
The idea to expand the WCC was a failure from the start when they sent over an 8th placed Broncos and 11th placed Dragons, after those two games the results have been 157-28 in favour of NRL clubs.

Just leave it as the NRL premiers giving the SL premiers a bollocking.

POPEYE

Coach
Parramatta.

We take games to Alice Springs and invest in our juniors like mad men.
Send your mob to England while Melbourne concentrate on doing the job the NRL sent them to do, win supporters where people don't give a shit about the game, turn Kiwis into decent footballers and remain the RL yardstick in the process . . . all done without poaching established players other teams want to keep

Grow a third dick, you're going to need it

T-Boon

Coach
So is Cronulla obliged to go?

They should stay home and practice the wrestle as well.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If Melbourne is forced to go, whats stopping them from keeping their first graders here in Australia?

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I personally don't beleive its neccesary for any other teams to go anyway. It should simply be the NRL champs vs the Super LEague champs. The world club series was pointless to start with. If I was in charge of the Storm I woudn't go either

Marlins

Juniors
By sending our top teams over there it might spark more interest for the NRL in the UK.
Q1. Is the Nrl broadcasted in the U.K.
Q2. Is there much interest in the UK for the NRL