What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Squad

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently we have released a player. I think it was Lovett. Had to be done to release cap pressures. How is this side still over the cap?

BrotherJim05

Bench
I agree that ET will have a mortgage on 13 jersey for as long as he plays for WT. In attack he is an instrumental part of our spine, similar way to Glenn Stewart was for Manly in their golden era and in defence he can be the difference between winning and losing the middle of the field.

However, the 2nd row continues to be a huge issue for us. Given the depth we have in front row I firmly believe Sue should move to second row. My justification for this:
- He has played there before and proved he can go 80 minutes
- He has size, aggression and footwork to be a genuine threat
- I think all his tries last year were from playing wider on the right edge
- Sue may one of our best front rowers, but the gain we get from strengthening the back row will outweigh the loss in the front row
- Allows for players like Felise to get more game time

My starting 17:

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Naiqama*
4. Idris
5. Simona
6. Moses
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Ava
11. Lawrence
12. Sue
13. ET

14. Liddle
15. Grant
16. Felise
17. Aloai

*I agree that Naiqama's defence has been a huge liability, but his attacking combination with Moses and Nofa has been lethal. He has been training at right centre all off-season so moving him may be detrimental. I also really miss Simona at wing, partner him with Idris and we will see a deadly attacking combination

magpie guy

Juniors
I agree that ET will have a mortgage on 13 jersey for as long as he plays for WT. In attack he is an instrumental part of our spine, similar way to Glenn Stewart was for Manly in their golden era and in defence he can be the difference between winning and losing the middle of the field.

However, the 2nd row continues to be a huge issue for us. Given the depth we have in front row I firmly believe Sue should move to second row. My justification for this:
- He has played there before and proved he can go 80 minutes
- He has size, aggression and footwork to be a genuine threat
- I think all his tries last year were from playing wider on the right edge
- Sue may one of our best front rowers, but the gain we get from strengthening the back row will outweigh the loss in the front row
- Allows for players like Felise to get more game time

My starting 17:

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Naiqama*
4. Idris
5. Simona
6. Moses
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Ava
11. Lawrence
12. Sue
13. ET

14. Liddle
15. Grant
16. Felise
17. Aloai

*I agree that Naiqama's defence has been a huge liability, but his attacking combination with Moses and Nofa has been lethal. He has been training at right centre all off-season so moving him may be detrimental. I also really miss Simona at wing, partner him with Idris and we will see a deadly attacking combination

I tend to agree on everything here except for Naiqama at right centre.
I think that Idris, Sue and Nofo on one side of the field with Moses just looks stronger on paper. You only really have to get a defender one on one with any of those three as runners close to the line and we are likely.

That leaves Simona, Naiqama and Lawrence on the left with Brooks.
It makes sense to me to stack power on the right and speed on the left.

I'd also be tempted to put Naiqama at left wing with Simona at left centre in defence and then have them swap in attack. Although i admit that will somewhat restrict Simona from getting space to run on kick returns.

And just to get away from the Lovett thing,
The Nines squad has been announced.

Wests Tigers have announced an 18-man squad for next month's 2017 Downer NRL Auckland Nines tournament in New Zealand.

Luke Brooks is set to make his first ever NRL Auckland Nines appearance, with the tournament set to take place on February 4 and 5 at Eden Park.

As well as Brooks, Head Coach Jason Taylor has named experienced forwards Elijah Taylor, Joel Edwards, Ava Seumanufagai and Sauaso Sue to bolster the side.

Taylor will captain the side at Eden Park, with Sue to feature as vice-captain.

A host of exciting rookies will also make the trip over to Auckland, with Matt Eisenhuth, Watson Heleta, Esan Marsters and Bayley Sironen looking to impress as they strive for an NRL debut in 2017.

New recruit Matt McIlwrick will pull on the Wests Tigers jersey for the first time, with the dummy-half joining the Club from the Cronulla Sharks.

The 18-man squad features a number players familiar with the nine-a-side concept, with Justin Hunt, Kevin Naiqama, Jack Littlejohn, Kyle Lovett, Michael Chee Kam, Heleta, Seumanufagai and Sue all playing in last year’s tournament with Wests Tigers.

Both Chee Kam and Naiqama have featured in all three previous NRL Auckland Nines tournaments.

Wests Tigers have been drawn in the Rangitoto Pool and will come up against the Newcastle Knights, Brisbane Broncos and Melbourne Storm.

WESTS TIGERS 2017 AUCKLAND NINES SQUAD

Josh Aloiai

Luke Brooks

Michael Chee Kam

Joel Edwards

Matt Eisenhuth

JJ Felise

Watson Heleta

Justin Hunt

Jack Littlejohn

Kyle Lovett

Esan Marsters

Matt McIlwrick

Kevin Naiqama

Jordan Rankin

Ava Seumanufagai

Bayley Sironen

Sauaso Sue

Elijah Taylor

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't necessarily think that Brooks playing in the 9s particularly signals anything. ET and Sue are out best forwards (apart from Woods) so I wouldn't read into being picked for the 9s means you have to prove yourself. I've said this for years, Brooks will excel in the 9s format, more so than Moses would.

Whether or not Brooks has fallen down the pecking order remains to be seen. I just hope that he can get back to his best form because when Brooks was on fire he was f**king on fire. I still remember the round 3 game against Souths in 2014....

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks is totally useless.He will never see the Monopoly money of his current contract again.

I'd b surprised if any club in the nrl or any coach for that matter would believe they can turn this impostor into a half decent nrl player.

We don't need to worry about Brooks when it comes to the significant negotiations we r currently facing.Moses & Teddy r our priorities & then there's daylight !

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
RLW reporting that Tigers are shopping Simona around.

Can't f**king believe it.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I thought we may have seen the end of Rankin on the wing. If this were to happen with Simona I am guessing it will be Naiqama and Rankin together. Only other option is maybe Heleta. Either way I am not to happy at the thought of losing Simona.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This can't be due to Farah. The cap is in a disgraceful state if its pushing out Simona. How much did we give Idris?

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I feel for Brother Jim 05....his current avatar is Simona and before that it was Murdoch-Masilla IIRC. The club is making it hard for him. Waiting to see who you come up with next time Brother Jim.

Tiger05

First Grade
RLW reporting that Tigers are shopping Simona around.

Can't f**king believe it.

If this is true it's unbelievable. You'd think most of our squad would be on lesser contracts and Moses, Brooks and Tedesco will need upgrades to stay.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I don't have a lot of faith we will keep our 'stars' based on the management of our cap. I was thinking we were a chance of finishing maybe 8th this year but now I am not so sure...maybe the players will all be waiting for the tap on the shoulder and that can't be good for their performance each week.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I feel for Brother Jim 05....his current avatar is Simona and before that it was Murdoch-Masilla IIRC. The club is making it hard for him. Waiting to see who you come up with next time Brother Jim.

I know right! I don't know if I should change it or not to end the voodoo.

Maybe I should put Rankin as my avatar

rabbitohs95

Bench
The Tigers need a bit of a mini cleanout and refresh.

I'd rid of Brooks and sign a reliable experienced half; but unfortunately the only real big names off contract are Thurston, Johnson, Pearce, Townsend and Widdop, none of which would get signed or are worth signing.

The thing you guys need is some real experience in the spine. The youth policy your club has set in place just doesn't work.

You can't put all your eggs into the youth basket because they don't have any experience to guide the team around and therefore won't make the finals and then they won't get any big game experience. Until that gets sorted I can't see them making the finals anytime soon.