What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NSWRL Senior Comps - ISP, Flegg, RMC, Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

rightleftin

Juniors
Wonder if theres any truth to these Fairfax reports of Souths cutting ties with the bears over Carney?

Apparently the Roosters will swoop in. Where are the Roosters reserves going at the moment?

Wyong - and that agreement was due to finish at the end of this season.

Broncos93

Juniors
Ah I thought that finished already. Guess it'll be a seamless transition then unless Souths pull their players immediately? Can't see that happening though.

kbw

Bench
Roosters have been in discussions with at least 2 other clubs. Will be interesting to see how this pans out

kbw

Bench
Sydney-based clubs or Central Coast clubs? Any hints??

both, I know the entrance def, but the others are only rumours.

Will be interesting what Souths do if they break the partnership with Norths.
I think there is pressure of the old guard to run their own, but that will also mean they have no flegg and their path way will be non existent

I feel if they do go their own way it could be devastating as Richardson has no idea what he is doing

imgunawin72

Juniors
both, I know the entrance def, but the others are only rumours.

Will be interesting what Souths do if they break the partnership with Norths.
I think there is pressure of the old guard to run their own, but that will also mean they have no flegg and their path way will be non existent

I feel if they do go their own way it could be devastating as Richardson has no idea what he is doing
Do you rate flegg to be a higher level than both massey and shield?

kbw

Bench
Do you rate flegg to be a higher level than both massey and shield?

An interesting question, not sure how it relates to my previous post but its def worth discussing.
I haven't seen any Flegg this year so I am basing it on the NYC last year and some assumptions.

Based on the SS and RM games I have seen this year, I would put SS below Flegg but RM above.Flegg.
RM has always been more physical but I think its now faster than it was.
While many U20s players can/could handle RM and even NSW CUP, there are lot more that don't or at least take a bit of time to get used to the physical side of it.

But I guess U20s has been viewed as more part of the "pathway" than SS or RM

imgunawin72

Juniors
An interesting question, not sure how it relates to my previous post but its def worth discussing.
I haven't seen any Flegg this year so I am basing it on the NYC last year and some assumptions.

Based on the SS and RM games I have seen this year, I would put SS below Flegg but RM above.Flegg.
RM has always been more physical but I think its now faster than it was.
While many U20s players can/could handle RM and even NSW CUP, there are lot more that don't or at least take a bit of time to get used to the physical side of it.

But I guess U20s has been viewed as more part of the "pathway" than SS or RM
Yep i agree with the order that you placed Shield, flegg and Massey in.
So if souths and norths go their seperate ways, and if souths run their own nsw cup and flegg they will also need a feeder club that has both massey n shield.
I disagree with flegg (previously nyc ) being a pathway to nrl. Its probably a pathway to massey and nsw cup and from there they can push for nrl.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep i agree with the order that you placed Shield, flegg and Massey in.
So if souths and norths go their seperate ways, and if souths run their own nsw cup and flegg they will also need a feeder club that has both massey n shield.
I disagree with flegg (previously nyc ) being a pathway to nrl. Its probably a pathway to massey and nsw cup and from there they can push for nrl.
I don't think it's necessarily that black and white - if they're good enough players can be spotted/scouted/promoted from any grade including Flegg.

imgunawin72

Juniors
I don't think it's necessarily that black and white - if they're good enough players can be spotted/scouted/promoted from any grade including Flegg.
Yep true.
There aren't a lot players in the past that have gone from 20's straight to nrl. Most go from 20's or shield into Massey or nsw cup then onto nrl.
So it will be interesting too see what happens with Souths and norths

kbw

Bench
I think the most common pathway is U20s - NSW cup - NRL.
I think there are very few that go via RM.
while a lot of players come out of the U20s and go to RM, in my experience its not many at all that go on from there. I think the perception is if the player is not good enough for NSW Cup by the time they are 21 they will not make it.

I do not think that is necessarily true in terms of the player, I do think its true in the way clubs view things

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
while a lot of players come out of the U20s and go to RM, in my experience its not many at all that go on from there. I think the perception is if the player is not good enough for NSW Cup by the time they are 21 they will not make it.

I do not think that is necessarily true in terms of the player, I do think its true in the way clubs view things
My understanding with NRL clubs feeder arrangements is that they have NRL, ISP and 20s as their primary feed, and overflow players from ISP generally drop to the associated RMC side and surplus U20s to the Shield feeder.

Obviously this isn't a cover-all as not all clubs are linked through an NRL pathway but its how I understand it works at least for the Dogs (ISP - Cabra RMC, Flegg - Moorebank SS)

imgunawin72

Juniors

Yep some valid points.
I think the nrl clubs need to rethink their approach. Some of these young blokes, in particular some of the forwards aren’t fully developed until their mid twenties.

rightleftin

Juniors
I guess if a 24 year old Bruce McGuire turned up at Wests Tigers today he would be told his future is in park football instead of playing 2 GF's, origin and test football.

kbw

Bench
This is where the Kingsgove scenario worked at its best, albeit a bit out of the norm.
It toughened up many a fringe U20s player and those a year or 2 young.
It also gave several kids an opportunity and a start that were initially part of a 20s system.
The Roosters would not have won the comp in 2016 if not for Kingsgrove.

Then there is Victor Radley who was always tough enough. He didn't play at Kingsgrove

imgunawin72

Juniors
I guess if a 24 year old Bruce McGuire turned up at Wests Tigers today he would be told his future is in park football instead of playing 2 GF's, origin and test football.
Ha ha true.
Ive seen kids play junior reps 16’s 18’s and 20’s for Penrith struggle past shield when they have to play against men

rightleftin

Juniors
On sunday, Penrith Brothers had their first win at this level since they played in the Jim Beam Cup in 2009 and 2010 and most of the teams in those comps are no longer playing at this level:

Defunct - Sydney Bulls, Southern Sharks, WA Reds
Now in Sydney Shield - Belrose, East Campbelltown
Local comps - Chester Hill (only youth teams), Erina, Shellharbour, Windsor

There are only 3 surviving clubs - Wenty, Mounties and Cabra.

imgunawin72

Juniors
On sunday, Penrith Brothers had their first win at this level since they played in the Jim Beam Cup in 2009 and 2010 and most of the teams in those comps are no longer playing at this level:

Defunct - Sydney Bulls, Southern Sharks, WA Reds
Now in Sydney Shield - Belrose, East Campbelltown
Local comps - Chester Hill (only youth teams), Erina, Shellharbour, Windsor

There are only 3 surviving clubs - Wenty, Mounties and Cabra.
Good to see. Congrats to them.
Maybe they could move grounds up the road to andrews road where Penrith rugby were now that they have been kicked out of the shute shield, would be a better ground for a massey team

Status
Not open for further replies.