What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

yobbo84

First Grade
I'm interested to see the crowd tonight. Papers keep saying 40k but I can't see it getting anywhere near that - doubt the SCG members show up (who are mostly Union, Swans or Roosters fans).

Also, plenty of Rabbitohs season ticket holders who may not show up.

25k maybe? Hopefully 30,000.
Looks like I was right. I reckon maybe 27k here.

In saying that - absolutely electric atmosphere. Terrific stadium.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I know it’s got history and all that but they really got move away from there and play at win permanently.

i know when Sydney fc were there that many people just stopped going because how dog shit the stadium is
The stadium isn't dog shit though. In terms of facilities it is by far the best of the suburban grounds. As soon as the Dragons start winning again it will be full. There is no indication they will ever leave.

yakstorm

First Grade
69,782 for the first 3 games, which means a 20K average is possibly unlikely this round as we'd need another 90,218 to get there.

With Coffs Harbour likely to only get 9K and Leichhardt getting capped around 15K these days, we'd need some big crowds at Accor, GIO plus 30K+ at Suncorp to get there.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The stadium isn't dog shit though. In terms of facilities it is by far the best of the suburban grounds. As soon as the Dragons start winning again it will be full. There is no indication they will ever leave.
They have to move here to the Gong permanently and have a few big games a year at the new SFS. Their Sydney fan base are aged, they need to back the Illawarra, very young population.

EuroNymous

Juniors
Two problems

1. it’s a oval (bad for viewing)
2. Only one train line goes through there, hard to get to if you don’t live close to the area.

Despite not reaching the lofty heights of 40k+ that were speculated in the press and by the club (to an extent) this week, it's still a very healthy crowd for a regular season NRL game in Sydney. As @Dark Corner said, this game will grow if the NRL permit it to become a regular fixture of the regular season.

27,432 is the sixth-highest crowd of the season in Sydney so far, and the third-highest for a non-public holiday.

It's also the ninth-highest sporting crowd at Allianz Stadium 2.0.

Pneuma

First Grade
I guess 27k can't be sneezed at

Not sure where all this 40k shite came from

Definately lock it in for future years

Souths are the most indigenous club in Australian sport .. make the round all about them
1. Try ‘definitely’.
2. we know where the 40,000 ‘shite’ came from so read the thread next time.
3. Souths are not the most indigenous club. Get your facts right.
4. Making it all about Souths is just plain silly.
5. Enjoy watching your goslings this weekend.

To sugar coat that, all you have to say to critics we came 16th in an extremely competitive, classy crowded field.Our players were brave(RU style) and did not give a cm or inch and all players played with broken limbs .
It isn't sugar-coating to say that most NRL games are good to watch irrespective of where the teams are on the ladder.

Winning is a cheap and easy sell which by the very nature of competitive sport can't deliver prosperity for the league as a whole.

The aggregate of crowds at the end of the season is the definitive figure. Robust averages for clubs towards the bottom of the ladder are an essential indicator of the health of the competition.

Latest posts