What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos discussion etc

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Confirmation that the Dragons will be wearing their alternate tomorrow via their Facebook story
View attachment 86526
That’s just their away isn’t it? I’d kinda prefer if the home was referred to as ‘Main’, away as ‘clash’ and then ‘alternate’
People seem to get confused with ‘home’ and ‘away’, as in thinking the away team should wear their ‘away’ jersey over their home even if the home contrasts better

Nuke

Staff member
That’s just their away isn’t it? I’d kinda prefer if the home was referred to as ‘Main’, away as ‘clash’ and then ‘alternate’
People seem to get confused with ‘home’ and ‘away’, as in thinking the away team should wear their ‘away’ jersey over their home even if the home contrasts better
Likewise. 'Main' and 'alternate' as terms and also mindsets should be the way to do it. Main jersey every week UNLESS playing away AND it will clash with the opposition's kit. In that instance, bring in the alternate kit. Otherwise, main kits virtually every week.

yakstorm

First Grade
Front & back of the Broncos ANZAC Round kit

4576-949.jpg

4578-949.jpg

flippikat

Bench
Would rather clubs didn't go all in on the ANZAC cash grab every year, but I've seen far worse in terms of design.
All we need are Home, Alternate, Heritage, and Indigenous jerseys.

That's FOUR.

Wear the Indigenous on two rounds, one a designated Indigenous Round, one to be decided by each club.

Likewise, the Heritage jersey twice - designated Heritage Round & one other game.

All others games either in home or alternate jersey... and ANZAC, Women in League, any other causes/promotions can be signified by a special badge or something else that's not a completely different jersey.

But what of the Dragons v Roosters ANZAC game?

Well, let that be an exception - and have them wear the Heritage jerseys for that year on ANZAC Day, even if that's the 3rd time in the season they wear them.. and their Heritage jerseys don't necessarily have to be WW2 Heritage.

GAZF

First Grade
All we need are Home, Alternate, Heritage, and Indigenous jerseys.

That's FOUR.

Wear the Indigenous on two rounds, one a designated Indigenous Round, one to be decided by each club.

Likewise, the Heritage jersey twice - designated Heritage Round & one other game.

All others games either in home or alternate jersey... and ANZAC, Women in League, any other causes/promotions can be signified by a special badge or something else that's not a completely different jersey.

But what of the Dragons v Roosters ANZAC game?

Well, let that be an exception - and have them wear the Heritage jerseys for that year on ANZAC Day, even if that's the 3rd time in the season they wear them.. and their Heritage jerseys don't necessarily have to be WW2 Heritage.
I would generalise that to primary, secondary, and two alternates of the club's choice that can include ANZAC, heritage, indigenous, WiL, or some other community based initiative/civic based celebration. This would exclude cross promotions with commercial ventures for onfield apparel, whether dressing up like a superhero, flogging Rusty's latest movie, or launching blue M&M's.

Limit the alternates to be worn 5x cumulatively in the season proper. No alts in the finals. Fines for players not wearing half a roll of electrical tape on each sock to keep them up. Kick Souths out in advance for not following the basic rules.

Dawesy76

Juniors
If there was a Venn diagram of people who complain about too many Jerseys and those who complain that their club has no money, it would be a f**king circle. I swear to god.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I would generalise that to primary, secondary, and two alternates of the club's choice that can include ANZAC, heritage, indigenous, WiL, or some other community based initiative/civic based celebration. This would exclude cross promotions with commercial ventures for onfield apparel, whether dressing up like a superhero, flogging Rusty's latest movie, or launching blue M&M's.

Limit the alternates to be worn 5x cumulatively in the season proper. No alts in the finals. Fines for players not wearing half a roll of electrical tape on each sock to keep them up. Kick Souths out in advance for not following the basic rules.
When was the last time a club's 'community based initiative/civic based' actually did anything of substance to support their cause? Like when was the last time an e.g. Indigenous round raised real money for charities that actually do something other than "raise awareness". The honest answer is almost never, they're just cynical cash grabs, and that just is what it is.

And why ban clubs from participating in commercial and cross promotional opportunities like promoting a new movie if they want to do that? It a good opportunity for the club and doesn't hurt anybody, at least they aren't pretending it's some sort of virtuous act when they do that.

It's all just silly, you have a set amount of jerseys clubs can release each year, then let them do whatever the hell they like with them as long as they stick within some basic rules like making sure they have a clash jersey.

Dawesy76

Juniors
When was the last time a club's 'community based initiative/civic based' actually did anything of substance to support their cause? Like when was the last time an e.g. Indigenous round raised real money for charities that actually do something other than "raise awareness". The honest answer is almost never, they're just cynical cash grabs, and that just is what it is.

And why ban clubs from participating in commercial and cross promotional opportunities like promoting a new movie if they want to do that? It a good opportunity for the club and doesn't hurt anybody, at least they aren't pretending it's some sort of virtuous act when they do that.

It's all just silly, you have a set amount of jerseys clubs can release each year, then let them do whatever the hell they like with them as long as they stick within some basic rules like making sure they have a clash jersey.
Broncos every year have auctioned off their deadly choices jerseys to that charity and they do it again later in the season where they give deadly choices the main sponsorship spot (which would be what 100k normally for a one off?) and they’re auctioning and donated to veteran causes with this years.

I’d love to see all clubs do that (they might, I hope they do)

As far as awareness, personally my circle of league friends all now have some involvement with deadly choices, from volunteering to actually doing events for and with them - without the NRL and the broncos we might not have gotten involved with the organization.

Hell I even just love the stories the jerseys tell. It’s educating and I’ve learnt a lot about the various communities and stories thanks to them.

Tonza

Juniors
Just a simple poppy flower on the sleeve or chest would be sufficient.
The rugby union teams do it when they play up north close to Remembrance day on November 11.

Attachments

• images (2) (10).jpeg
    images (2) (10).jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 10

The Great Dane

First Grade
Broncos every year have auctioned off their deadly choices jerseys to that charity and they do it again later in the season where they give deadly choices the main sponsorship spot (which would be what 100k normally for a one off?) and they’re auctioning and donated to veteran causes with this years.

I’d love to see all clubs do that (they might, I hope they do)

As far as awareness, personally my circle of league friends all now have some involvement with deadly choices, from volunteering to actually doing events for and with them - without the NRL and the broncos we might not have gotten involved with the organization.

Hell I even just love the stories the jerseys tell. It’s educating and I’ve learnt a lot about the various communities and stories thanks to them.
I said something of substance. . . Raising a few grand in a charity auction isn't something of substance. Giving them a solid percentage of sales, a genuine platform to promote themselves and what they do, and the freedom and help to collect donations at the ground and during the broadcast as part of a dedicated fundraising campaign would be something of substance. Take the Pink Test as an example.

I also said for charities that do something more than raise awareness. . . You know, that have a real, tangible, community impact or invest into research for a cause. Not ones that knock together lame and ineffectual "education" programs to tell Indigenous kids to go to the doctor, eat healthily and exercise, and that smoking is bad for you without ever even contemplating genuinely attempting to address any of the underlying societal issues that are leading to the higher rates of those behaviours in the indigenous community (for lack of a better term).

BTW, I guarantee that every club does charity auctions like that regularly. The Raiders generally do at least a couple a year.

Dawesy76

Juniors
lame and ineffectual "education" programs to tell Indigenous kids to go to the doctor, eat healthily and exercise, and that smoking is bad for you without ever even contemplating genuinely attempting to address any of the underlying societal issues that are leading to the higher rates of those behaviours in the indigenous community (for lack of a better term).

look not going to keep this going on a jersey thread, but it’s pretty telling you call those programs lame considering health and wellness is a major issue effecting indigenous communities. Yes there are many many issues, societal and generational, but health and wellbeing education programs saves and has saved many lives in those communities and calling them lame is pretty sad. I’m out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts