What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 2 - Vs Broncos

Thumper

Juniors
We need sam burgess back asap to get us back on track many admire sam but who admires dudmetriou? I hear they want johnny Sutton to take dudmetriou's coaching job it may be hearsay but I know sutto and he has the club at heart first id pay out dudmetriou and advertise for a new souths coach till sam burgess returns and yes he will return to souths can you hear me sammy burgess come home son.
Do you know Sutto like you know Jye grays coach from a school he never went to???

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Here’s my match report for Round 2, 2024 against the Broncos. It's a bloody long one that I've put a lot of thought, time and effort into, so I hope you enjoy.

Overview

Heading into Round 2, I think we all expected to see improvement. I expected us to build on the great 50 minutes we played in Round 1 but do it for longer and tighten our defence. It was anything but. Dreadful night for us. That’s really the only way I can describe it. Completely and utterly dreadful. So bad in fact, that I don’t even know if we can take much away from that apart from negatives and things we need to work on. Honestly, this is potentially a new low for me, even considering last year as I can’t remember a game where we dished up that much bullshit.

Error, after error, after error. That’s all it was all game apart from the eight minutes after halftime which coincidently is the only period of the match we actually played well and looked great. Apart from that, the whole night was just errors, frustration, fatigue and questionable defence. That pretty much sums up the game.

Supremely disappointing as the Broncos were way off there game and if we even played 70 to 80% well, we probably win that easily. The most frustrating game I’ve experienced in a while, it was not a good watch at all.

Attack

I thought we were pretty decent with the ball over in Vegas, but the boys really took a massive step back in Brisbane on Thursday night. A massive step back. Our attack was diabolical really.

I don’t have a massive issue with our yardage game because when we actually held the ball, we made decent meters. However, I do think it still could have been better. As a whole, I don’t think the boys, particularly the forwards, were aggressive enough with their running. It was a lot of what I can ‘mid’ runs where they don’t run full tit, but it’s not a ‘soft’ carry if that makes sense. Those kinds of carries made decent enough meters, but I do think it could have been better. This is evidence by the three sets we had straight after half time. Go back and watch it and look at how dialled in everyone is there. The energy is up, and all the boys are carrying as hard as they can. Look at the meters we made in that period, we were well and truly rolling. However, that dropped off once we started making errors again. So that part of our game was okay, I can live with it, but it still leaves room for improvement.

The part of our game with the ball that I am not okay with is of course the errors. It is just completely and utterly unacceptable and incompetent at this level for a team to be making that many errors. We had f**king 14 errors for f**k sake!! And I think 10 of them came in the first half or something like that. How the heck does that even happen? It was like the entire side was complacent and showed a complete lack of respect for the ball. Awful. It wasn’t just the number of errors either, it was the type of errors we were making. I remember Warran Smith saying during commentary that we had the full house of errors, and he wasn’t wrong. Anything you can think of, we did it. A lot were simple, unforced errors due to a lack of concentration, just clean drops which is not acceptable. There were a few in contact. But then other stuff like getting caught downtown, blockers on the kickers, kicking out on the full, an accidental offside for kicking into our own player, losing the scrum against the feed etc. It really was every error under the sun and most of them just shouldn’t be happening. It shows a complete lack of care, focus and attention to detail.

The most frustrating part of these errors too was when we made them. It honestly felt like every time we had something good going, were starting to build or had Brisbane under a little bit of pressure, we’d make a mistake, relieve all the pressure, throw it away and just completely let them back in. That’s twice in the first two games this year where we’ve got on top (I know we drew level in this Round 2 game, but we were on top), and then failed to complete the following set which is just unforgivable. In both games, from that point, it was just a downwards spiral that we never recovered from.

The alarming thing about the lack of completions is that it’s not a new issue. This has been happening for half a Season, even longer in fact as it seems like we’ve had issues with our hands since forever. Every week we say on here ‘we have to complete our sets,’ and every week we hear the players and coach say the same thing, but we continue to dish up shit and it continues to be an issue? What is being done to fix it?? I’m at my whit’s end. When we hold the ball, as we saw in Round 1, we can be a good Footy side and look decent. I truly believe that, and the boys have proved that. But it seems in both games, and especially in this one, that when we can’t hold it and show no respect for ball security, we just fold. Fit it lads once and for all for f**k sake.

Aside from all the errors, I thought our attack was terrible and a massive step backwards. It’s like the game plan was flawed. We tried to go around them for most of the game and it simply and quite obviously just didn’t work. Our backline was so much slower than there’s so how was that ever going to work? More often than not, we played too lateral and went far too sideways. The Broncos just lapped this up all game. Look at how we attacked in the eight-minute period where we scored the two tries, it was as direct as it gets pretty much, and we looked great! So why did we continue to try and play around them when going through them and playing hard and direct was the way to go? Poor tactics.

It blows my mind that despite all these issues with the ball, we still scored 18 points against one of the better defensive sides in the competition. Just imagine what could have happened if we actually got our game right.

Defence

Terrible over all obviously. Again, we conceded close to 30 points which paints the picture really. That is simply not good enough. However, I do think there is a few factors that contribute to that.

Now, when I say what I’m about to say, I am by no means saying that our D was good because it was not. I am by no means making excuses or trying to make things seem better than they were, I am just trying to analyse things the best I can and the way I see them.

I think the main thing that contributed to our poor defence was obviously the errors we were making. You can’t expect to turn the ball over that much and still defend well. No team can, not even someone like Penrith. If any team made the type of errors we did in the areas and scenarios we did, they’d struggle.

We dropped it that much that we just put ourselves under so much pressure and as a result, fatigue set in more than it normally would for almost the whole game. We defended for way longer than we should be in a normal game which effected defensive effort and defensive reads. So, I think our defence is already bad, but making the number of errors we did just made it look so much worse.

I think that’s a logical way to look at it. And before you scold me, ask yourself, do we concede 28 points if we completed at say 80%? I think the answer is no. Now, I’m not saying our defence was actually okay or acceptable at all because there were still so many awful things, I’m just saying it was heavily affected by fatigue because of our own errors. Surely every Rugby league fan would agree with that when you step back and look at it.

In saying that, you still have to scold the defence over all because it was just simply still not up to first grade level despite the fatigue. Our line speed was very poor, as was the kick chase and the boys hardly showed any resilience to just keep turning up for each other and turn them away. 42 missed tackles at this level is just crazy and should never happen.

So, yea, I don’t know if it’s just me being an optimist, happy to debate it if you think I’m wrong but I do really think it looked worse than it could have if we didn’t turn over the ball so much. Still, it’s the biggest area of concern right now and it hasn’t improved at all. Again buys, fix it for f**k sake and fix it fast.

callmack1

Staff member
Player-by-Player

Mitchell: He was good, certainly one of our best in a poor side, but I refuse to say he was great, and he certainly wasn’t as good as last week. Trell was our main man out there, no doubt, but he did come up with a couple of clangers that let him down. Firstly, he was okay defensively as he saved that try on the Mam grubber in the first half and then again stopped what looked to be a certain try when Staggs made the break down our left side and looked to pass to Mam. That was brilliant from Trell. However, it was a really poor arm-grabbing attempt on Walsh when he scored. I expect better than that. His kick returns were strong, but I have no idea what the heck he was up to with Walsh’s second try. That was really weird, no excuse to not get that ball on the full despite it dipping on him so he was disappointing there. He also showed a pathetic effort to recover the ball during the play which led to Cook being sin binned. What the hell as he thinking there? Didn’t want to put his body on the line at all, he just stuck a foot at it and it cost us big time. With the ball in hand, I’d probably say Latrell probably struggled to really impose himself or chime in attacking their line, but I think that’s more down to his teammates and the way we were attacking than him. His try was brilliant though!! That is our man at his absolute best!! Probably the best try I’ve seen him score in our colours, it was that scintillating!! An amazing show of strength, agility, speed and power! We need more of that. Not a bad night for Trell, still one of our better players as I said, but it could have been better.

Johnston: When you look at his stats alone, you’d think AJ had a great game! But actually, watching it, that wasn’t the case at all. I have no problem with anything he did with the ball in hand as his kick returns and hit ups were relatively decent and the couple of errors, he did make weren’t really his fault. However, defensively, the Broncos really exposed him, and he looked quite slow the other night. Twice, they nearly caught him out with a chip kick, and he looked slow on the turn and chase but thankfully he was good enough to recover. This was not the case for the Broncos first try however as AJ was slow to react and Mariner just snuck straight by him. A little later in the first half, the break that Staggs made which Latrell eventually snuffed out was due to a defensive misread from AJ as he didn’t follow Richie in. Then, towards the end of the match, he was slow to react again and was beaten by the mariner chip and chase. So, a poor night for AJ in my opinion.

Kennar: We all complained as to why he was in the team and rightly so. Should never have been out there in the first place and he let us down again. Not unexpected I have to say. Again, on defence, he was terrible. There was nothing that directly lead to a try, but he got absolutely schooled by Staggs all night as he had no lateral movement whatsoever. Made a couple of errors, not threat at all in attack and his runs were actually quite soft. Not sure how that’s the case for such a big guy. I hope we never see him in first grade again.

Tass: Speaking of poor nights, I’m extremely concerned about Tassy and his form right now. Again, on Thursday night, he was very average. Basically, failed to impact the game whatsoever really. His carries were so weak, and he got monstered in just about every run he took, he was no danger attacking their line at all, and he just looked quite slow. Defensively he was okay, even the try they scored wasn’t his fault, but the rest of his game was just so average. I don’t know what it is. Is he struggling with adjusting to the right? Hasn’t had a single good game this year and it’s a real concern.

Milne: Much maligned and a lot of people didn’t want him in the side, but I think out of all our outside backs apart from Trell, he’s the only one who can actually hold his head high as he had a great individual game. Really good. His carries out of our own end were strong as and he’s the only one who really looked aggressive and ran hard in that area and he made good meters to get us out of trouble as a result. He made 158 meters which is pretty massive, more than just about all our forwards. He also did well defensively. I know they scored down that edge, but there was nothing Taane could really do there as it was a breakdown from Lachy and Cam in the middle of the field that caused the overlap. Well done Taane!

Walker: I don’t even have much positive to say about Cody at the moment as he’s so far out of form right now, it’s ridiculous. One of the biggest issues in the team right now. Seriously, what did Cody meaningfully contribute on Thursday night? Sweet f**k all. Didn’t create anything, didn’t ask any questions of the Broncos defence, there was next to nothing. All it was, was errors from him, kicking it out on the full and kicking it dead. I wasn’t impressed with his kicking game at all. I will say though, his defence was exceptional the other night, that’s the only bit of his game that is actually good at the moment. The rest looks so far away rom the usual Cody Walker. I’m extremely concerned, and he needs to pick it up ASAP. It’s simply not good enough now.

Ilias: I’ve been a staunch supporter saying a lot of the issues in our side are not his fault, but after the way he played on Thursday, I simply can’t defend him. Jeez he was bad. Really bad. Normally defence is a strong suit of his, but I don’t think he was as good in that areas the other night. He missed a few tackles, conceded a line break in the first half and struggled to handle Cobbo a couple of other times. Upon watching it a few times, I think he was partially to blame for Arthur’s try as he got drawn in on Walsh, which caused both Tass and Milne to jam, creating the overlap. It’s the other areas of his game that were even worse though. Let’s start with the kicking game. Firstly, why didn’t he kick as much in this game? I thought his kicking was actually okay against Manly but then he hardly kicked in this game and just left it all up to Cody pretty much?? I’m not sure why but that’s not good enough from him for mine. Then there was the monstrosity where he kicked it into Tallis in the second half, how the hell does that even happen?? Yea, Tallis shouldn’t have run across in front of him, but if Ilias was any sort of decent half, he’d be able to adjust on the fly so that doesn’t happen. It’s a complete lack of awareness and vision. Attacking the line, he was poor too. Very one dimensional and just not a threat at all as he failed to create even any sort of space for his outside men. Normally, he can perform the link man role well but even that failed in this game. What’s more, he came up with his second clean drop in as many games in 2024 in good ball attack which is just so poor and shouldn’t happen. No game management whatsoever, no barking orders, no leading the boys around; it was just a poor all round game for Lachy and I’m starting to jump on board the ‘Lachy isn’t our halfback’ bus if I’m honest. He’s not improving at all, not even showing signs of improvement.

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Not a lot to say about Junes really. He wasn’t bad at all, actually had a really decent game and I’d probably say he was one of the better forwards out there but there was nothing massively notable, just solid. He wasn’t involved in the error-a-thon, didn’t put a foot wrong defensively and he also ran for 118 meters which made him the only of our forwards to crack the hundred-meter mark. Well done Junior.

Cook: Certainly can’t say well done to Cook after that performance. It was a game full of poor service, hardly any runs from dummy half, stifling our attack when at their line because he was picking the ball up first, then passing, rather than just passing straight off the deck, silly options like that grubber kick in the first half, and the sin bin of course. Awful game from Cooky and him getting hooked towards the end says it all really. Along with Cody, he is so grossly out of form right now and it’s one of the biggest issues in our team.

Keppie: Did he even really play?? What the hell was going on there??? 5 runs for 51 meters in about 30 minutes of game time?? What?? That’s simply taking the piss as a starting front rower. Absolutely taking the piss. You’re supposed to help set the tone and lay the platform, but Kep did far from that. He set the tone with the first poor error at the start of the game and then later, was penalised for a block on the kicker which everyone knows you can’t do. Apparently Kep didn’t.

Koloamatangi: Why the heck would I even waste my time talking about this guy right now?? Did he even play? Is he even part of the team right now? You honestly wouldn’t know. He did next to nothing. Honestly, Keaon is one of the guys I’m most pissed off about in this team right now. On his day, he’s the best second rower in the comp, but he just can’t be f**ked right now. Lazy, soft and pathetic. Pull your f**king head in.

Murray: A lot of people are singing his praises and saying he was our best player on Thursday night, and I’ve got to be a bit harsh and say I don’t subscribe to that thought. He was okay in the second half, but his first half was poor. I think he only had like four runs? That’s not good enough from our skipper. He made the error in the set after our second try which just undid everything and then only five runs in the second half. How can you say that’s our best player on the night? I get he cleaned up a mountain of stuff for us defensively and he worked himself to a stand-still again, I get that, but he was also partially responsible for Walsh’s first try as it was a poor attempt at tackle on him from Cam, and he was also partially responsible for Arthur’s try because he didn’t push hard enough from the inside on Walsh which caused Lachy to have to help him out, which them pulled Tass and Milne in, creating the overlap. The move starting as a backrower didn’t work at all and this game was not up to his usual standards.

Mitchell: Shaq was really, really good in the minutes he did play and I’m not sure why he played so little. Maybe it was because he was gassed too early, I don’t know, but he looked outstanding in his first stint.

Havili: One of our best players out there, not necessarily in terms of workload because he only had 6 runs for 52 meters, 26 tackles though. It was more for the impact he provided when he came on. It was pretty outstanding, and he almost single-handedly changed the game after half time. His try was great! He just got the ball, showed a little bit of footwork, and then powered his way past three defenders to crash over. Brilliant stuff Liva! Minutes later, he was at is again, this time turning provider for Davvy’s try. That was great ball playing as he held the ball up just long enough to commit Piakura and create the hole for Davvy. Great stuff from him. He did make one error, and showed a poor arm-grabbing effort on Walsh when he scored his first, but you can’t take away from the impact he still had. Liva has been one of our shining lights so far this Season and I think him coming off the bench to play lock is working well.

Moale: Davvy was pretty good, pretty solid and he did provide a bit of impact. All his carries were strong, and I was happy with his work rate. Great to see him get over for his first NRL try, that was a cool moment. Not so good was the incident he was put on report for and being penalised for a blocker on the kicker.

Duncan: Not much to report on as he didn’t have an opportunity to do much with only six carries. In saying that though, he did poke his nose through on almost every one. Bone head play when he got in front of Lachy’s kick though. That is just pathetic and shows a complete lack of focus and awareness.

Burgess: It’s harsh, but this is probably one of the worst games I’ve seen him play for a while. With the ball, he was fine. Wasn’t as involved as normal maybe, but fine. However, without the ball on defence, it was just awful from Tommy, and he really got caught out on multiple occasions. Five missed tackles during his stint, and some of these were really bad which led to a try of line breaks or half breaks. The one on Walsh’s first try was simply just lazy. He also attempted the charge down when we were at 12-all. That was one of the dumbest things I’ve seen on a Footy field because it completely changed the game. Poor from Tom.

Fitness

I want to add a little bit extra into this report to talk about the fitness of the side. I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt after Round 1, thinking maybe it was just Round 1 and noth having any match fitness, but after this game, I think the fitness of our team is a real problem, one of our biggest problems in fact.

All Pre-Season we talked about how the side was not fit enough compared to other teams last year and all Pre-Season, the club has talked about how fit everyone is and how much they’ve focussed on fitness to improve that aspect of our game. Bullshit. Absolute bullshit as we don’t look any different fitness wise. I know we’ve been shooting ourselves in the foot with errors, which causes more defence and thus, a lot more fatigue. It makes us look more tired than we should be. However, even despite that, we don’t look fit enough. The boys look gassed after 20 minutes and it is clearly impacting our performances and ability to do all the little stuff that is lacking.

It’s so disappointing and simply not good enough that it hasn’t been addressed and fixed the way it should be.

Conclusion

This kind of leads into my conclusion. Again, after Round 1, I was prepared to give the boys the benefit of the doubt but Round 2 has proven that the glaring issues from last year in terms of attitude have not been addressed of fixed. I think the attitude is still our biggest problem and for a club that is supposed to be one of the most well run in the comp, to not fix this over the Pre-Season is just pathetic.

We have become a ‘nice’ club. Everyone is focussed on being happy and being mates, giving everyone a cuddle and feeling good but this has meant that no one is accountable. There is zero accountability in this club at the moment and zero ruthless mentality. No one thinks ‘win at all costs.’ As a result, our standards have slipped, and we are where we are now.

Round 2 fully exposed everything, and I honestly think we may have just hit a new low point.

It better get fixed and fixed fast, or this Season will very quickly unravel and we’ll find ourselves out of touch. It doesn’t get any easier with the Roosters on the horizon next week. I am concerned.

assess5

Juniors
It won’t happen. This is exactly what I said to the ass man running his mouth. JD is picking the best available side. It doesn’t matter who he selects when the forwards are getting out enthused every tackle.
Just screaming for validation aren't you.
Personal abuse from a no nothing like you - still boring as well.

assess5

Juniors
Jye gray is a five-eighth he has played his junior years as #6 he is best suited at #6 but he is a bit of a jack rabbit he could probably play at a few other positions on the park because he is a real live wire.i was talking to his ex keebra Park coach a few months ago and his words were to me that he was the best kid to coach at school and he would put his body on the line to tackle the big boys + he is very loud vocally on the park and is a true leader sadly his coach was a manly fan lol.
Perhaps he should have played a full game ion the centres - no wait- we told everybody was injured.

Player-by-Player

Mitchell: He was good, certainly one of our best in a poor side, but I refuse to say he was great, and he certainly wasn’t as good as last week. Trell was our main man out there, no doubt, but he did come up with a couple of clangers that let him down. Firstly, he was okay defensively as he saved that try on the Mam grubber in the first half and then again stopped what looked to be a certain try when Staggs made the break down our left side and looked to pass to Mam. That was brilliant from Trell. However, it was a really poor arm-grabbing attempt on Walsh when he scored. I expect better than that. His kick returns were strong, but I have no idea what the heck he was up to with Walsh’s second try. That was really weird, no excuse to not get that ball on the full despite it dipping on him so he was disappointing there. He also showed a pathetic effort to recover the ball during the play which led to Cook being sin binned. What the hell as he thinking there? Didn’t want to put his body on the line at all, he just stuck a foot at it and it cost us big time. With the ball in hand, I’d probably say Latrell probably struggled to really impose himself or chime in attacking their line, but I think that’s more down to his teammates and the way we were attacking than him. His try was brilliant though!! That is our man at his absolute best!! Probably the best try I’ve seen him score in our colours, it was that scintillating!! An amazing show of strength, agility, speed and power! We need more of that. Not a bad night for Trell, still one of our better players as I said, but it could have been better.

Johnston: When you look at his stats alone, you’d think AJ had a great game! But actually, watching it, that wasn’t the case at all. I have no problem with anything he did with the ball in hand as his kick returns and hit ups were relatively decent and the couple of errors, he did make weren’t really his fault. However, defensively, the Broncos really exposed him, and he looked quite slow the other night. Twice, they nearly caught him out with a chip kick, and he looked slow on the turn and chase but thankfully he was good enough to recover. This was not the case for the Broncos first try however as AJ was slow to react and Mariner just snuck straight by him. A little later in the first half, the break that Staggs made which Latrell eventually snuffed out was due to a defensive misread from AJ as he didn’t follow Richie in. Then, towards the end of the match, he was slow to react again and was beaten by the mariner chip and chase. So, a poor night for AJ in my opinion.

Kennar: We all complained as to why he was in the team and rightly so. Should never have been out there in the first place and he let us down again. Not unexpected I have to say. Again, on defence, he was terrible. There was nothing that directly lead to a try, but he got absolutely schooled by Staggs all night as he had no lateral movement whatsoever. Made a couple of errors, not threat at all in attack and his runs were actually quite soft. Not sure how that’s the case for such a big guy. I hope we never see him in first grade again.

Tass: Speaking of poor nights, I’m extremely concerned about Tassy and his form right now. Again, on Thursday night, he was very average. Basically, failed to impact the game whatsoever really. His carries were so weak, and he got monstered in just about every run he took, he was no danger attacking their line at all, and he just looked quite slow. Defensively he was okay, even the try they scored wasn’t his fault, but the rest of his game was just so average. I don’t know what it is. Is he struggling with adjusting to the right? Hasn’t had a single good game this year and it’s a real concern.

Milne: Much maligned and a lot of people didn’t want him in the side, but I think out of all our outside backs apart from Trell, he’s the only one who can actually hold his head high as he had a great individual game. Really good. His carries out of our own end were strong as and he’s the only one who really looked aggressive and ran hard in that area and he made good meters to get us out of trouble as a result. He made 158 meters which is pretty massive, more than just about all our forwards. He also did well defensively. I know they scored down that edge, but there was nothing Taane could really do there as it was a breakdown from Lachy and Cam in the middle of the field that caused the overlap. Well done Taane!

Walker: I don’t even have much positive to say about Cody at the moment as he’s so far out of form right now, it’s ridiculous. One of the biggest issues in the team right now. Seriously, what did Cody meaningfully contribute on Thursday night? Sweet f**k all. Didn’t create anything, didn’t ask any questions of the Broncos defence, there was next to nothing. All it was, was errors from him, kicking it out on the full and kicking it dead. I wasn’t impressed with his kicking game at all. I will say though, his defence was exceptional the other night, that’s the only bit of his game that is actually good at the moment. The rest looks so far away rom the usual Cody Walker. I’m extremely concerned, and he needs to pick it up ASAP. It’s simply not good enough now.

Ilias: I’ve been a staunch supporter saying a lot of the issues in our side are not his fault, but after the way he played on Thursday, I simply can’t defend him. Jeez he was bad. Really bad. Normally defence is a strong suit of his, but I don’t think he was as good in that areas the other night. He missed a few tackles, conceded a line break in the first half and struggled to handle Cobbo a couple of other times. Upon watching it a few times, I think he was partially to blame for Arthur’s try as he got drawn in on Walsh, which caused both Tass and Milne to jam, creating the overlap. It’s the other areas of his game that were even worse though. Let’s start with the kicking game. Firstly, why didn’t he kick as much in this game? I thought his kicking was actually okay against Manly but then he hardly kicked in this game and just left it all up to Cody pretty much?? I’m not sure why but that’s not good enough from him for mine. Then there was the monstrosity where he kicked it into Tallis in the second half, how the hell does that even happen?? Yea, Tallis shouldn’t have run across in front of him, but if Ilias was any sort of decent half, he’d be able to adjust on the fly so that doesn’t happen. It’s a complete lack of awareness and vision. Attacking the line, he was poor too. Very one dimensional and just not a threat at all as he failed to create even any sort of space for his outside men. Normally, he can perform the link man role well but even that failed in this game. What’s more, he came up with his second clean drop in as many games in 2024 in good ball attack which is just so poor and shouldn’t happen. No game management whatsoever, no barking orders, no leading the boys around; it was just a poor all round game for Lachy and I’m starting to jump on board the ‘Lachy isn’t our halfback’ bus if I’m honest. He’s not improving at all, not even showing signs of improvement.

Good review...