What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Adelaide 22-26 Nov

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Can't link it but cricinfo is reporting that Warner's position is under the gun with a Quiney/Cowan as openers and Watto at 3 :crazy:

Apparently Quiney's 9 was promising or words to that effect.

A nice person might link the article for me.

Hallatia

Referee
here you go, your majesty
Watson return clouds Warner's future
Daniel Brettig
November 16, 2012

Shane Watson's return to the Australian Test squad for Adelaide has ramped up pressure on David Warner to hold his spot at the top of the order, as the national selectors consider the possibility of pairing Rob Quiney with Ed Cowan.

While Watson is still considered unlikely to return in time for the second Test against South Africa, it is far from certain that Quiney will be the man to drop out of the hosts' XI to make room for the vice-captain and No. 3 batsman. Warner's place in the team may hinge in his display in Adelaide, and another brief stay with the bat would be likely to have Quiney walking out to bat with Cowan in Perth.

The national selector John Inverarity was unable to guarantee Warner's place ahead of the Adelaide Test, in marked contrast to his supportive words for Cowan before the Brisbane Test squad was even announced. "We'll make the decision closer to the time," Inverarity said. "I mean we're here at the WACA. Less than 12 months ago David played a wonderful innings here. We'll just have to wait and see."

Australia Test squad
Michael Clarke (capt), Shane Watson, Ed Cowan, Ben Hilfenhaus, Michael Hussey, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Ricky Ponting, Rob Quiney, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner
Quiney made only nine in his one innings in Brisbane, but impressed the selectors with his gully fielding, part-time medium pace and an unruffled, mature demeanour that fitted neatly into the Australian dressing room. His upright, powerful batting would make a neat balance with the more obdurate Cowan, while offering a little more restraint than Warner.

Watson's preferred place in the team remains as an allrounder. Inverarity explained that if Watson was not fit to bowl, he would more than likely also not be fit to run swiftly between the wickets or show the required level of agility in the field. This, as much as the team's desire to have him bowling, will influence the selectors in their deliberations, which will likely reach a decision by Wednesday.

"Yes he could [play as a batsman]," Inverarity said. "He'll have to be fit to perform regarding running between the wickets, chasing in the field, diving. It's unlikely - I'm not saying it's not possible - but it's unlikely that he'll be able to build his workloads so that he'll be able to bowl in the Test.

"If you've got the continuum there, there's only a small margin in which he's fit to perform as a batsman but not able to bowl. We're hoping he'll be beyond that, he'll be able to bowl. But he may not be able to. And if he's not able to, there's a fair chance he won't be able to be fit to perform in terms of running between the wickets, chasing in the field, diving in the field. We'll just wait and see."

Mitchell Starc's chances of earning a place in the team for Adelaide have been enhanced by a four-wicket haul for New South Wales against Victoria at the SCG. Ben Hilfenhaus, the man considered most likely to make way for Starc, is working closely with the bowling coach Ali de Winter to try to eradicate the flaws picked up in his bowling action during the Gaba Test.

"I thought the bowlers bowled much better the second day they bowled, and then on the final day I thought they all improved again," Inverarity said. "So they're running into some form and you need to get some bowling under your belt and I thought in particular Ben Hilfenhaus got better as the game went on, so we'll just have to assess how they go and what sort of shape they're in and make a decision a couple of days before the Test."

Inverarity indicated that whichever bowler was 12th man in Adelaide would then be a probable inclusion for the third Test in Perth, given that only three days separate the end of the second match with the start of the final one. Australia played four quicks and omitted the spinner Nathan Lyon for the Perth match against India last summer, and that possibility will depend on the preparation of the surface.

"I think it's very difficult to go Brisbane, Adelaide and then a break of just a couple of days and then to Perth for the same bowlers to do all of that," Inverarity said. "It's not unlikely that a different bowler will come in for that Test and you would recall that last time in Perth we played four fast bowlers and we'll just have to wait and see what the wicket is like. The decision last year I think was the right decision and we'll have to wait and see what happens this year."
Sauce
I believe it's the completed version of the article I posted earlier

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That will do me :crazy:

Are the aussie selectors the same clowns looking after Parras salary cap???

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
and fielding is so important, just ask Locky

an opener making way for an all rounder ?

seriously, someone should put the old fossil back in the ground

snoozer

Bench
saw this yesterday,

http://www.news.com.au/news/shane-w...ite-injury-cloud/story-fnejlub9-1226518357114

pretty much the same as whats been posted however i found this part rather alarming-

Inverarity also left the door open for WA paceman Mitchell Johnson, who took five wickets for the Warriors in their Sheffield Shield triumph over South Australia this week.
"Mitchell is under consideration. The panel and I personally are very pleased Mitchell's development," he said.
"He's far more consistent than he was 12 months ago, he's bowling well. He bowled some very good spells in WA's last Shield game, so he's in a good place Mitch. He's in a very good place."

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so they are pleased with the development of a 31 year old, this just gets funnier

wonder if he can hold the ball seam up yet

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It hurts me to say this but I can see Bitch Johnson playing in Perth. Heaven help us if he gets even 1 wicket there because he'll be in for good after that.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
After reading that article. Hildud>>>>>> inverarity. Can they go back and bury this cluess old fossil where they found him. Takes a few tail end wickets after 3 yrs of poo and he's back in the frame :crazy:

Hallatia

Referee
Aussie selectors seem to be obsessed with Johnson in Perth. That and general stupid selections, I suppose it keeps people talking about them

Wato

Juniors
saw this yesterday,

http://www.news.com.au/news/shane-w...ite-injury-cloud/story-fnejlub9-1226518357114

pretty much the same as whats been posted however i found this part rather alarming-

That's a bit unfair on the selection panel considering that came from an article in which they were discussing left arm bowling options and made it clear Starc was first choice and that if they required a second they may return to Johnson. BTW I am not a Johnson fan at all but putting that statement in context it was just an acknowledgement of Johnson improving his form and a discussion of the benefits of having a left-armer in the side especially when playing an off-spinner.

Hallatia

Referee
:lol:I doubt it.

Cricinfo say that Quiney is likely to be retained ahead of Watson
Quiney sees his window narrowing
Brydon Coverdale
November 17, 2012

A week after he made what the coach Mickey Arthur joked was the best 9 he had ever seen, Rob Quiney knows that another low score in the Adelaide Test will be no laughing matter. Quiney kept his place in Australia's squad for the second Test against South Africa, which begins on Thursday, and his chances of playing appear strong, with Shane Watson facing a difficult challenge to prove his fitness in time.

On debut at the Gabba, Quiney got off the mark in Test cricket by pulling Dale Steyn through midwicket from his first ball and he appeared confident throughout his short stay. After the game, Arthur said light-heartedly that Quiney's innings was the best 9 he had ever seen, and he added that Quiney had offered much in the dressing room and did not look out of depth at Test level.

Should he play in Adelaide, Quiney knows that he must show the kind of skill that brought him to Test level if he is to stay ahead of others such as Usman Khawaja in the national queue. The list of Australia's Test cricketers abounds with men who were only given one chance in the baggy green - including his Victoria team-mates Chris Rogers, Clint McKay and Bryce McGain - and Quiney is well aware that two lean matches could spell the end of his Test dreams.

"I'd rather make a scratchy fifty than a good nine," Quiney told reporters in Melbourne on Saturday. "I see this little window as being little. If I can get a score on the board and show that I can get runs at that level, it's going to help me out in the future. If I don't, the depth of the batting is getting better and better and people are scoring runs at Shield level and one-day level and they're doing a job. It's good healthy competition in the Australian setup."

Not that Quiney failed to contribute to Australia's strong showing at the Gabba. He took three catches, including two very sharp takes at gully, and bowled 11 overs of medium pace that conceded only 13 runs. Remarkably, he has the best economy rate of any player who has bowled at least ten overs for Australia in Test cricket, but Quiney knows that only runs off his own bat will determine whether he remains a Test cricketer.

"With the bat I was a little bit disappointed," he said. "My job is to make runs and I didn't make runs ... it can turn around pretty quickly. I've only had one innings in Test match cricket. If I get another couple of innings, hopefully I can turn that around and score some runs for the side and help out to contribute to a win."

For the time being, all Quiney can do is wait and see whether he will be given another opportunity in Adelaide, or if he is squeezed out to accommodate the return of Watson, Australia's vice-captain. Watson, who missed the first Test due to a calf injury, was named in a 13-man squad on Friday but he will only be considered if he is able contribute with the ball.

"It's a good limbo," Quiney said. "I'd rather be in this limbo than not being in the mix at all. If Shane gets fit, it's going to be beneficial for the team ... but if he doesn't get up and he's still unfit, I feel like the last Test was a bit of a dream and I've got a job to do now. If I do get the chance I've just got to knuckle down and get some runs."
Sauce

TheParraboy

Staff member
After reading that article. Hildud>>>>>> inverarity. Can they go back and bury this cluess old fossil where they found him. Takes a few tail end wickets after 3 yrs of poo and he's back in the frame :crazy:

4 out his 5 wickets were tailenders, the other was to a newbie playing his 2nd FC game. Rush him back :crazy:

What about Douggie????

TheParraboy

Staff member
Sunshine raring to go....as batsman

Interesting to see if they leave him out cause he cant bowl in this test

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Inverarity said if he cant bowl, then he cant field, throw and dive in the field properly, as well as run between the wickets so on that basis he probably wont play

either that or he's full of shit, so we'll just have to wait and see

Timbo

Staff member
Watson is our 2nd best batsman after Clarke as far as I'm concerned. He should be straight back in regardless of bowling.

As for Johnson. For f**ks sake, he isn't even the best left arm quick named Mitchell. What the hell is wrong with the selection panel???? I have him behind:

1-Pattinson
2-Starc
3-Siddle
4-Hilfenhaus
5-Faulkner
6-Hazlewood
7-Butterworth
8-Bollinger
9-Bird
10-McKay
11-Cutting
12-Copeland
13-McDermott
14-Coulter-Nile
15-Herrick
16-Hogan

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there'd be more.

If 14 of them go down, I'd STILL prefer to see Christian, Henriques or Hastings in the side to bowl first change than Johnson.

Hallatia

Referee
you have Siddle as your third choice?
Are you only including currently fit guys on your list because I think Watson is Australia's top quick bowler at the moment and Harris and Cummins in my oopinion would be ahead of him. I'm sure there are other obvious ones as well

TheParraboy

Staff member
Inverarity said if he cant bowl, then he cant field, throw and dive in the field properly, as well as run between the wickets so on that basis he probably wont play

either that or he's full of shit, so we'll just have to wait and see

Im thinking the later

Hallatia

Referee
he's definitely full of shit, but the extent to which that affects whether or not Watson will play in this match is what's in question