What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia @ Hagley Oval Christchurch Mar 8-12, 2024

King-Gutho94

Coach
Travis Head believes his close friend Alex Carey will transcend the Jonny Bairstow stumping this summer and beyond, declaring Stuart Broad’s sledge – “that’s all you’ll be remembered for” – will not have aged well by the time the wicketkeeper hangs up his gloves.

Just thought i would remind one of the greatest flogs in English Cricket that Carey will be remembered more then just a fair runout.

Its Jonny Bairstow who will be remembered more then anything out of that incident.

JJ

Immortal
So for the Kiwis & Warriors fans what's going to happen first.

Wahs win a premiership or the Kiwis beat us again in a test match.
That's a hard one - think we've only won 2 tests against you without Hadlee, although in one of them the attack was (bizarrely) Danny Morrison, Murphy Sua, Willie Watson and Dipak Patel... the fact that an attack like that can win against anyone, and the fact that we remain a decent test side means I go with the cricket, although the opportunities there are so rare... The Warriors get a shot every year, but I just don't see it happening, sadly

undertaker

Coach
Surely the WTC Final will be in India.

The BCCI will demand it.

Btw look like England get 3 tests in NZ next summer WTF.

Why couldn't we.

Anyway i hope the kiwis flog them 3-0 and Bazball cops another humiliation.

These 2-test series are a complete waste of time. I see Australia has yet ANOTHER 2-test series vs Sri Lanka next year in February. Seriously, whoever is making these decisions needs to be sacked.

We should be playing at least a minimum of 3 tests against West Indies, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or New Zealand.

The good news is the home Trans-Tasman test series in the 2026/27 summer is going to be 4 tests:

Next time we tour the Caribbean is in mid-2025 (for the first time since 2015) and in the ICC FTP schedule, it is a 2-test series. After what happened in Brisbane a few weeks ago, surely the powers that be have got to be reconsidering and make it 3 tests.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Black Caps 6 lengths clear and the jockey fell off before the winning post

edge-face-wwe.gif

undertaker

Coach
Another beef is New Zealand is just across the Tasman, yet this year's test series was the first time in EIGHT YEARS that Australia has played test matches in New Zealand.

Yet, during that time (since that 2016 Trans-Tasman series), we've had two Ashes tours to the UK (2019, 2023) as well as two Border-Gavaskar trophy series in India (2017, 2023), not to mention the myriad of white-ball tours - T20I or ODI format - to India.

Also important to note that we haven't played test cricket in West Indies since 2015, and Sri Lanka since 2016

King-Gutho94

Coach
These 2-test series are a complete waste of time. I see Australia has yet ANOTHER 2-test series vs Sri Lanka next year in February. Seriously, whoever is making these decisions needs to be sacked.

We should be playing at least a minimum of 3 tests against West Indies, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or New Zealand.

The good news is the home Trans-Tasman test series in the 2026/27 summer is going to be 4 tests:

Next time we tour the Caribbean is in mid-2025 (for the first time since 2015) and in the ICC FTP schedule, it is a 2-test series. After what happened in Brisbane a few weeks ago, surely the powers that be have got to be reconsidering and make it 3 tests.
Haha so we go from 2 tests to 4 tests.

Makes no sense i am sure the Kiwis wouldn't mind though. Get another test at Boxing Day & SCG i was so disapointed Kane got sick on game day last time and we missed out on him at the SCG test in 2020.

Hopefully he is still plugging away and we get chance in 2027 New Year test to see him.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Haha so we go from 2 tests to 4 tests.

Makes no sense i am sure the Kiwis wouldn't mind though. Get another test at Boxing Day & SCG i was so disapointed Kane got sick on game day last time and we missed out on him at the SCG test in 2020.

Hopefully he is still plugging away and we get chance in 2027 New Year test to see him.
I think more regular tests would help us become competitive - obviously when we beat you for a period we had the incomparable Hadlee, but also we played you a little more then - now we seldom do, and I think one of the psych issues might be that the players realise they might not get another chance in their career, or it's so rare that it becomes even more daunting than it is - this test, and a few others plus our record against other 'big' sides shows we can actually be competitive (that's my glass half full take after a gutting loss)

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I think more regular tests would help us become competitive - obviously when we beat you for a period we had the incomparable Hadlee, but also we played you a little more then - now we seldom do, and I think one of the psych issues might be that the players realise they might not get another chance in their career, or it's so rare that it becomes even more daunting than it is - this test, and a few others plus our record against other 'big' sides shows we can actually be competitive (that's my glass half full take after a gutting loss)

Same with one dayers,you guys had a good run 2014-2017 in the Chappell/Hadlee Trophy,spanked us in a few of those series.

bazza

Immortal
If we take July 6th 2023 3rd Ashes test at Leeds (The date that Marsh came back into the 11):

Mitch Marsh: 10 tests at 46.87
Cameron Green: 5 tests at 45.85
David Warner: 6 tests at 37.33
Usman Khawaja: 10 tests at 33.84
Steven Smith: 10 tests at 33.64
Marnus Labuschagne: 10 tests at 31.27
Alex Carey: 10 tests at 27.13
Travis Head: 10 tests at 26.72

Talk about papering over the cracks. Individually every batsman has had their moments. But apart from the all-rounders our batting hasn't been up to scratch.

Some serious work to be done before the 5 test series against India later this year.
yes - good bowling attach covering up for some inconsistent batting. It seems that in recent matches 1 or 2 bats have got some runs (or maybe a tailender) - but when that doesn't happen you lose to the WI

bazza

Immortal
Surely the WTC Final will be in India.

The BCCI will demand it.

Btw look like England get 3 tests in NZ next summer WTF.

Why couldn't we.

Anyway i hope the kiwis flog them 3-0 and Bazball cops another humiliation.
think England will claim a moral victory with a 1-2 loss

simmo1

First Grade
If we take July 6th 2023 3rd Ashes test at Leeds (The date that Marsh came back into the 11):

Mitch Marsh: 10 tests at 46.87
Cameron Green: 5 tests at 45.85
David Warner: 6 tests at 37.33
Usman Khawaja: 10 tests at 33.84
Steven Smith: 10 tests at 33.64
Marnus Labuschagne: 10 tests at 31.27
Alex Carey: 10 tests at 27.13
Travis Head: 10 tests at 26.72

Talk about papering over the cracks. Individually every batsman has had their moments. But apart from the all-rounders our batting hasn't been up to scratch.

Some serious work to be done before the 5 test series against India later this year.

Solar Panel Pat just ensuring the team doesn't waste any resources by scoring too many runs. Do just enough to get the win.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
NZ would beat Victoria as they only produce a world class player every 20 years. Sadly for them they have to play NSW born and bred.

undertaker

Coach
The 2026/27 Trans-Tasman series will be the first time since 1999 that New Zealand have played in a 4-test series.

Also, now that you mention Richard Hadlee, he played 86 tests over a 17 year period (average of 5 tests/year). Compare that to another bowler like Shane Warne, who played 145 tests over a 15 year period (average of nearly 10 tests/year).

So, to put that in perspective, it's amazing that New Zealand hasn't played much test cricket in general.

bazza

Immortal
could try a 3 match series every 4 years with the games split 2/1 Aus/NZ then 2/1 the other way every 4 years

JJ

Immortal
could try a 3 match series every 4 years with the games split 2/1 Aus/NZ then 2/1 the other way every 4 years
I'd love to see it - but $$ will drive, and given recent capitulations the Aussie public doesn't rate us, understandably, but the best thing here is that O'Rourke and Sears look up to it, Jamieson is up to it, Henry is showing he's a very good test bowler- the three younger ones have the height and pace to go ok in Australia, potentially.

Another beef is New Zealand is just across the Tasman, yet this year's test series was the first time in EIGHT YEARS that Australia has played test matches in New Zealand.

Yet, during that time (since that 2016 Trans-Tasman series), we've had two Ashes tours to the UK (2019, 2023) as well as two Border-Gavaskar trophy series in India (2017, 2023), not to mention the myriad of white-ball tours - T20I or ODI format - to India.

Also important to note that we haven't played test cricket in West Indies since 2015, and Sri Lanka since 2016
We played SL in SL in mid 2022.

Latest posts