What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMNRL Expands Again

Play some footy

Juniors
I do take it personally when all the hard work and sacrifice of myself and my teammates is pissed on.

As for the Natoinal team having nothing to do with development of rugby league. Don't you thing that more people with come out and play if they could have an opportunity to play for their country? Thats what the AMNRL is doing. Join their league and you can be a Tomahawk. Thats fine but its not really a national team when you don't select Amaricans. If football players can be selected, rugby players should qualify.

no, i don't. i think you develop the game locally with promoting camaraderie w/ the boys backed by a top notch sport to play. very few will ever get selected to play for a national team

but if you feel selections depend on the league you play in, whats it worth to you wearing a usa jumper?

Evil Homer

Staff member
but if you feel selections depend on the league you play in, whats it worth to you wearing a usa jumper?
That's pathetic, players should not be discriminated because of what league they play in, they should not be forced to play in an inferior league for a bunch of hypocrites if they want to represent their nation.

MattyCLark

Juniors
no, i don't. i think you develop the game locally with promoting camaraderie w/ the boys backed by a top notch sport to play. very few will ever get selected to play for a national team

I don't believe that for one second and here is why.
In the American football world there is drive and desire to play because every American kid wants to be the next Joe Montana or Walter Payton. To old for ya? Hows about Drew Brees or Ray Lewis.

My point is that kids in America what to see a future in their sport. And so do their parents. How do I know this? Because I started one of the first high school rugby teams in Montana and helped found the Montana High school rugby association. And when I was fighting all the football coaches about rugby I used the Jacksonville Axemen and USA National team to back my argument and show my kids there could be a future in rugby in the USA. But that is how I think you develop the game locally. Hell, where would New Zealand be without the All Blacks or how much money would David Beckem be making without International soccer? Sure, he'd be a legend in England, but you think he would be the international star he is without international teams. How much has his superstardom done for soccer in the US?

The fact is that the American National Team Kit should be earned in one of the two comps in the USA. With a season of blood sweat and tears.

Play some footy

Juniors
That's pathetic, players should not be discriminated because of what league they play in, they should not be forced to play in an inferior league for a bunch of hypocrites if they want to represent their nation.

there is no validity to this....as far as i know there has not been a single usa game since separate leagues have been formed.

however, when games convene in aug and if this is the case, then you have a valid point. except for the inferiority piece...which again is nonsense

Play some footy

Juniors
I don't believe that for one second and here is why.
In the American football world there is drive and desire to play because every American kid wants to be the next Joe Montana or Walter Payton. To old for ya? Hows about Drew Brees or Ray Lewis.

My point is that kids in America what to see a future in their sport. And so do their parents. How do I know this? Because I started one of the first high school rugby teams in Montana and helped found the Montana High school rugby association. And when I was fighting all the football coaches about rugby I used the Jacksonville Axemen and USA National team to back my argument and show my kids there could be a future in rugby in the USA. But that is how I think you develop the game locally. Hell, where would New Zealand be without the All Blacks or how much money would David Beckem be making without International soccer? Sure, he'd be a legend in England, but you think he would be the international star he is without international teams. How much has his superstardom done for soccer in the US?

The fact is that the American National Team Kit should be earned in one of the two comps in the USA. With a season of blood sweat and tears.

i disagree...especially about beckham. most folks don't even care he is in the us

Choo Choo

Juniors
there is no validity to this....as far as i know there has not been a single usa game since separate leagues have been formed.

however, when games convene in aug and if this is the case, then you have a valid point. except for the inferiority piece...which again is nonsense

Donnybrook Cup, 19 March 2011; Tomahawks vs Wolfhounds. The USARL was formed prior to this game taking place and their players were excluded from the selections. So there is validity to the statement.

pennpool

Juniors
I am pretty sure this topic was about a possible expansion team in a developing country. Apparently it was just another wasted thread with a little petty bitch off.

You know what is doing more damage than anything right now. The last 5 pages of crap and bitching on an international rugby league forum. I suggest if you can't keep on topic and feel your period coming on about a petty power squabble you should take it else where. Everyone needs to get over the selfs.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The pied piper at the end of the USA V Kangaroos game, remember that?

Not sure if any of the interviews are shown at the end of this match on bigpond, but maybe they are and people could listen for themselves.

http://bigpondvideo.com/Sport/

Type Tomahawks into search and you can watch the game, I just had a look and it's still there.

tomahawks.jpg

billy2

Juniors
I am pretty sure this topic was about a possible expansion team in a developing country. Apparently it was just another wasted thread with a little petty bitch off.

You know what is doing more damage than anything right now. The last 5 pages of crap and bitching on an international rugby league forum. I suggest if you can't keep on topic and feel your period coming on about a petty power squabble you should take it else where. Everyone needs to get over the selfs.
I completely agree that petty squabbles will never do anything but harm the game.
I disagree with some things that are going on - but i'm very happy and very impressed with every team that lines up to play the game, because that is what is important.
There are far more good things than bad going on - mostly that more league is being played by more people this year than any previous year, and i suspect next year will see both comps improve again, unless people here get their way and one of the comps dies, and dozens or even hundreds of people who have put a decade into starting off League all walk over to the dark side (not a big walk in America, many players already spend half the year playing kick and clap).

winnyason

Juniors
Look i think this is just downright petty, mr knight are you f**king kidding look at the amnrl serial forfeit sides, the raiders, mantarays. The league is 2nd rate to the usarl, it has the 2 strongest sides both in attendances and money in the fight and axeman.
They have no forfeits no bullshit articles about west coast expansion or the hawaii 2 team league proped up by jack breen's bullshit.

It is clear even with only amnrl rubbish, the usa will get through unless the south africans can pull out some currie cup rugby union players.

clarency

Juniors
Makes you wonder... If Canada could have gone, their recent demolition of Jamaica makes me think they could also take a AMNRL all-stars team quite easily.

billy2

Juniors
Makes you wonder... If Canada could have gone, their recent demolition of Jamaica makes me think they could also take a AMNRL all-stars team quite easily.
Jamacia without heritage players is a very different side to the one that will play in the WC qualifiers.

billy2

Juniors
How may heritage players do they have?
Probably depends on how keen they are to qualify.
I think they had 6 in the Atlantic cup, but they could probably find 17 playing at a fairly high level in the UK if they wanted to.
In other words - how long is a piece of string?

they're probably going to take players such as Karl Pryce, Ryan Bailey, Mark Calderwood, Chev Walker, Paul White, Jamain Wray, Lamont Bryan, Greg Johnson, Wayne Pryce maybe even Leon if he is available for selection at least 5 of those mentioned above definitely will be

druzik

Juniors
So I hear the AMNRL is a 5 team play off for the semis???? Does that really seem right in a 6 team comp?

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors
Difficult to say. Having all the teams in the comp enter the finals is always a bad look. That said a 5 team finals in a 6 team competition hardly nullifies it...

Wondering how it is going to work...

yakstorm

First Grade
In fairness to the AMNRL, the traditional top 5 Finals format is one of the fairer finals structures going around.

It is a pretty hard route for someone from 4th or 5th to make the GF, and 1st only has to win one game to get in.

The only other option would be a top 3, where 1st automatically qualifies and 2nd v 3rd play off for the right to take on first....