What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appointing blame

Who will we blame for Widdop this season?

• The coach

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • The forwards

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • The hallfback

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Duges can't pass

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • The hooker can't pass

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Benji Marshall

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Objective View

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Another forum contributor (please specify)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BennyV

Referee
latest

*stolen from grouch!

Glenn01

Juniors
So most people want to blame the coach. This is fair and I don't disagree. As I previously stated, after the forwards, Duges, Objective View and Benji Marshall, the coach was my 5th choice. Unfortunately only 3 choices are allowed.

So I doubt this will come to pass as Widdop's fate in first grade is almost certainly tied to McWanker remaining coach but hypothetically, who would you blame if McWanker is replaced after 4~6 rounds but Widdop remains? And I'm not asking about "if" Widdop is still poor. He will be. It's obviously he isn't NRL standard in any position.

SEAT 1A

Bench
The greenkeepers.

They don't want the field fugged up by a team that's winning. The supports will eventually stop going due to the clueless coach.

I don't blame Widdpo. The poor soul even has to sit next to the coach in the press conference's.

Vinnie

Juniors
Guys i think the following -
1. Season 17 probably be a long year
2. McGregor - Full of loyalty and heart true blue bleeds red and white BUT thrown in the deep end well before he was ready as was Browny as was Pricey etc etc. Should have spent a lot more time under an established coach to really learn the ropes and absolve experience. My opinion NOT ready NOT experienced enough but can't be blamed !!!
3. Widdop - Great leader and class player but has had no one inside or outside him to share the load or take the load. Not a game breaker and impulse player but then we dont have one ! Marshall was well past his prime but again was still reined in. Rein too many mistakes and not enough experience to provide the halves so of course Widdop tried to do it all and finds himself running across the field as opposed to going forward. Again not meant to be a game breaker and definitley not a impulse player.
4. Dugan ... doesnt inject enough not seeing enough ball and feels he has to do it all on his own !!!
5. Halfback - haven't had one ..... the missing link to all the above.
6. Field - Needs to be allowed to play, needs to get experience and must be allowed to play his natural game he has the speed he has the pass. He can be what we need but he has to be persevered with !!! Get him ready to partner Hunt !!!
7. Management / recruitment - The blame for all the above ... Lets just keep signing centres and wingers and bench players cause hey that's what we need isn't it. We have Dufty coming through but let's sign Mann. We have ample centres and wingers and young ones coming through but hey let's sign Lofai and lets keep it going let's sign McDonald hey after all we need more backs .... Dugans a centre hence Mann and everyone else but yet he's still at fullback ...

And we dont have problems and they know what there doing ?????? I ask you all ????

getsmarty

Immortal
So most people want to blame the coach. This is fair and I don't disagree. As I previously stated, after the forwards, Duges, Objective View and Benji Marshall, the coach was my 5th choice. Unfortunately only 3 choices are allowed.

So I doubt this will come to pass as Widdop's fate in first grade is almost certainly tied to McWanker remaining coach but hypothetically, who would you blame if McWanker is replaced after 4~6 rounds but Widdop remains? And I'm not asking about "if" Widdop is still poor. He will be. It's obviously he isn't NRL standard in any position.

"he isn't NRL standard in any position"...........

Wow...so an international is not NRL Standard...That's an oxymoron by anyone's standards. Just give it a rest Vas.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Whilst I agree that Widdop's 2016 form was poor, he looks to be playing with no confidence & perhaps burdened with the captaincy up against McAnchor as the drongo coach with his clueless tactics.
At the end of the day he has represented his country, won a premiership and tolerated being coached by 2 complete oxy morons in Half Price & Mary McWreckor. Done a hell of a lot more than any of us in his chosen sport and profession.
Give the poor bloke some slack....we should all feel sorry for what he has had to endure.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I was gonna add the halfback but that is harsh as it is the coach that picks the squad. If he continues to pick the worst option to play in the 6 then the 7 has no hope. Mary needs to grow some and admit to his biggest mistakes in a) appointing Widdop capt and 2) selecting him in the starting side. Widdop needs to be dropped. If I was playing crap and continually being picked ahead of others why would I improve.

I am sure Benji will get blamed as well during the year. Everyone bar Widdop and Mary will be blamed.

Glenn01

Juniors
The greenkeepers.

They don't want the field fugged up by a team that's winning. The supports will eventually stop going due to the clueless coach.

I don't blame Widdpo. The poor soul even has to sit next to the coach in the press conference's.
But you can be sure Widdop and McGregor have an excellent relationship. how else do you explain Widdop being made captain and still not being dropped?
"he isn't NRL standard in any position"...........

Wow...so an international is not NRL Standard...That's an oxymoron by anyone's standards. Just give it a rest Vas.

Firstly, did you watch the games in England last weekend? I can tell you for a FACT, Widdop is an ex-international. Even apart from that, Bennett didn't say in verbatim but pretty strongly suggested that the England vs Australia game last year was Widdop's last chance. Widdop had a shocker. Secondly, Matautai went from the Australian team to the U20s the next season. The Broncos utility whose name I can't recall went from the NZ team (which is better than Englands) to the QLD Cup. There are numerous such examples.Thirdly, I have already addressed this! I am Glenn01 and don't know who "Vas" is.

getsmarty

Immortal
But you can be sure Widdop and McGregor have an excellent relationship. how else do you explain Widdop being made captain and still not being dropped?

Firstly, did you watch the games in England last weekend? I can tell you for a FACT, Widdop is an ex-international. Even apart from that, Bennett didn't say in verbatim but pretty strongly suggested that the England vs Australia game last year was Widdop's last chance. Widdop had a shocker. Secondly, Matautai went from the Australian team to the U20s the next season. The Broncos utility whose name I can't recall went from the NZ team (which is better than Englands) to the QLD Cup. There are numerous such examples.Thirdly, I have already addressed this! I am Glenn01 and don't know who "Vas" is.

The game wasn't last weekend...FACT...You have again avoided directly answering the question. Please go away VAS.

Glenn01

Juniors
The game wasn't last weekend...FACT...You have again avoided directly answering the question. Please go away VAS.
Hmmmmm.. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you? The games in England last weekend. Shonkies vs Wigan and Warrington vs Broncos. Both teams had English 5/8s who are far superior RL players to Widdop.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hmmmmm.. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you? The games in England last weekend. Shonkies vs Wigan and Warrington vs Broncos. Both teams had English 5/8s who are far superior RL players to Widdop.

We are talking about England and Widdop...that was not last weekend. In the other thread you stated that Evander Cummins has done more for the Dragons than Widdop...That makes a lot of sense.

Did I come out and personally insult you ? No I didn't. I guess that's what you need to stoop to knowing that there are holes in your arguments Left ,right and centre. I have better things to do with my time rather than deal with " Internet Bullyboys". Have a great day Vas.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Firstly, I want to say I am "Glenn01" and only "Glenn01".

Now that must be the best example of just how delusional you really are !
" Firstly , I want to say I am " Glenn 01 and only Glenn 01 " .

That name is merely an alias , as most of our names are . However it is beyond doubt that you also have possessed 2 other alias's . Those of cause being figments of your outlandish imagination , namely SigTurd and Vailesky . And who knows , you may even have other alias's on this very same forum , it would be akin to talking to oneself ?

Why do you not face the facts about yourself , you should not be allowed anywhere near a computer keyboard , as the temptation to create havoc is just too great for you to resist.

One last point if I may , that being Post 37 - '" including yourself , but certainly not myself"
Should actually be - " including yourself , but certainly not I ". I left school at 15 yrs. of age , but I still knew basic grammar . And that's coming from a broken down old hog farmer !

Last edited:

Glenn01

Juniors
We are talking about England and Widdop...that was not last weekend. In the other thread you stated that Evander Cummins has done more for the Dragons than Widdop...That makes a lot of sense.

Did I come out and personally insult you ? No I didn't. I guess that's what you need to stoop to knowing that their are holes in your arguments Left ,right and centre. I have better things to do with my time rather than deal with " Internet Bullyboys". Have a great day Vas.
I was hoping you were just trying to annoy me by acting stupid. How can I put this anymore simply? ....... I'm at a loss. Perhaps point form?
  • Evander Cummins did nothing for the STI first grade team.
  • The STI club paid Evander Cummins very little.
  • Gareth Widdop has done nothing but screw up the STI NRL team for the past 3, going on 4 years.
  • Gareth Widdop has been paid "marquee player money" over that period and will continue to this year as no other NRL club will pick up a significant % of his salary.
So out of those two, who has had a more positive influence on the club and NRL team?

And you did insult me. I told you I wasn't "Vas" but was "Glenn01" so in reply you called me "VAS".
Now that must be the best example of just how delusional you really are !
" Firstly , I want to say I am " Glenn 01 and only Glenn 01 " .

That name is merely an alias , as most of our names are . However it is beyond doubt that you also have possessed 2 other alias's . Those of cause being figments of your outlandish imagination , namely SigTurd and Vailesky . And who knows , you may even have other alias's on this very same forum , it would be akin to one talking to oneself ?

Why do you not face the facts about yourself , you should not be allowed anywhere near a computer keyboard , as the temptation to create havoc is just too great for you to resist.

One last point if I may , that being Post 37 - '" including yourself , but certainly not myself"
Should actually be - " including yourself , but certainly not I ". I left school at 15 yrs. of age , but I still knew basic grammar . And that's coming from a broken down old hog farmer !

Didn't I make this clear? Find a new hero! Your fawning is embarrassing!

Gareth67

First Grade
Hero , fawning ? That is your mind , playing tricks with you , yet again .
However , I never did expect to see any great change in your logic , Vailesky / Sigturd and Glenn 01 etc. etc.
Just let me know the new address of the asylum that you now reside at and I may pay you another visit . ;)

Note ! Do you need anymore of those wonderful Flash Gordon comics that I gave you on my previous visit ?

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
I was hoping you were just trying to annoy me by acting stupid. How can I put this anymore simply? ....... I'm at a loss. Perhaps point form?
  • Evander Cummins did nothing for the STI first grade team.
  • The STI club paid Evander Cummins very little.
  • Gareth Widdop has done nothing but screw up the STI NRL team for the past 3, going on 4 years.
  • Gareth Widdop has been paid "marquee player money" over that period and will continue to this year as no other NRL club will pick up a significant % of his salary.
So out of those two, who has had a more positive influence on the club and NRL team?

And you did insult me. I told you I wasn't "Vas" but was "Glenn01" so in reply you called me "VAS".

Didn't I make this clear? Find a new hero! Your fawning is embarrassing!
Glenn01
Mate, ignore these guys. If you say you're Glennthennglennthennglenn you are.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Widdop's rapid decline (and ever decreasing self esteem) can be directed towards one person alone.

Paul McGregor.

It is really that simple.

The kid can definitely play as demonstrated during his time with Melbourne, and as Craig Bellamy said at the time of his departure "they (SGI) have got a good one".

A new, experienced mentor would sort him out quickly.

Dragons22

Juniors
Let me tell you it's not Gareth's fault. In fact it is Mary, Young, Hornby and Doust. First of all the club needs a proper fullback, if Duges wants more than 450K he should go, unless he can become a start centre, see ya later Duges. Mary, Mary, Mary....... well he's just pathetic along with his sh*t coaching staff. Widdop was good at Melbourne, Widdop well be good again once a proper coach called Ivan Cleary comes along, also with Ben Hunt. Mary's game plans are just that sh*t he makes several players appear bad on the field. It ain't the players it's the crap coaching staff. SACK MARY!!!!