What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away jersey

Jamesy

Juniors
I did like it. I bought da 3rd steelers jersey out of the dragons cave in wollongong. well worth the money.

Anonymous

Juniors
RedDragon said:
yeah thats cool. Personally I just think that the B&B Jersey is a bit average...
The Steelers jersey brings a good heritage to the fore as well.

I would like to know what the players would prefer...would they play with a lot more pride and passion wearing a Steelers jersey than a B&B jersey...I guess it comes down to what the club see's as a priority ie. Merchandise sales or team pride in the jersey.

Just out of Curiosity, did you like the Steelers Promo Jersey?
Not really. Imo, it's a bit bland.

If you're after heritage and team pride, well the old hooped red and white jersey has more going for it. It was the first jersey the Dragons first graders ever had in 1921.

sh_jerseystgeo_01.gif

After a brief encounter with a red V, Saints returned to the hoops - a slightly different jersey though. This was the jersey they wore when they won our first Premiership in 1941.

1941_smith_0.jpg

Yes and if the Steelers had ever won a premiership I'd be first in line demanding that we wear that particular jersey.

However in the absence of any such premiership success I must desist. :mrgreen:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Lol at Daithi...

I'm very keen to see the 1941 premiership strip for Saints get a run in any way, shape or form for 2005.

I'd definately buy one, and I think it would gain an incredible cult following amongst Red and White supporters.

I'd be disappointed if it didn't, especially with how much we go on about tradition. I'll even go so far to say that for a Saints supporter, whether they be a 'September fan' (I hate that division by the way) or army man, it would be compulsory to buy one.

S2H

Juniors
a) The Steelers were not granted entry to the NSWRL untill 1982. During the time both the Dragons and Steelers were in the competition both clubs won exactly the same ammount of premierships. If the Illawarra was granted entry at an earlier stage chaces are they would have had a few premierships under their belt considering the awesome quality of talent that has come out of the Illawarra region.

b) The Illawarra region has a great and very proud tradition in Rugby league.

c) The Illawarra forms half of the Joint Venture. Why is it that many people on this forum are against recognition of this fact? No-one has ever said lets get rid of the red V, what is the problem with wering the scarlet and white as an away Jersey to give some recognition to the Illawarra and its supporters which for half of the joint venture?

d) The Histories of both clubs and both regions need to be considered.

e) The Steelers Jersey is not the Jersey of another club. It is the jersey of the club which maks up half of the joint venture. It is like saying wearing the 1921 jersey or the 1941 dragons jersey is wearing the jersey of another club.

S2H said:
a) The Steelers were not granted entry to the NSWRL untill 1982. During the time both the Dragons and Steelers were in the competition both clubs won exactly the same ammount of premierships.

Since Illawarra entered the competition St George made four grand finals – compare that to the Steelers who only made in finals series on what, one or two occasions? Not to mention the small collection of wooden spoons you gathered up in those 18 years.

S2H said:
If the Illawarra was granted entry at an earlier stage chaces are they would have had a few premierships under their belt considering the awesome quality of talent that has come out of the Illawarra region.

A silly statement.

The Bears where in for 90 years and only managed one premiership. Cronulla entered the competition the same year as Illawarra were slated to and have won nothing.

Meanwhile Canberra who entered the same year as the Steelers have won three premierships and Newcastle who entered six years after the Steelers have won two.

Penrith have also won two since Illawarra was admitted.

Now there's three recent expansion teams with huge junior areas that have actually put their money where there mouth is and produced success – All you lot ever to is bleat about the apparent 'talent' and 'quality' of your juniors.

You've done nothing.

Red Bear

Referee
Daithi O'Conaill said:
S2H said:
a) The Steelers were not granted entry to the NSWRL untill 1982. During the time both the Dragons and Steelers were in the competition both clubs won exactly the same ammount of premierships.

Since Illawarra entered the competition St George made four grand finals – compare that to the Steelers who only made in finals series on what, one or two occasions? Not to mention the small collection of wooden spoons you gathered up in those 18 years.

S2H said:
If the Illawarra was granted entry at an earlier stage chaces are they would have had a few premierships under their belt considering the awesome quality of talent that has come out of the Illawarra region.

A silly statement.

The Bears where in for 90 years and only managed one premiership. Cronulla entered the competition the same year as Illawarra were slated to and have won nothing.

Meanwhile Canberra who entered the same year as the Steelers have won three premierships and Newcastle who entered six years after the Steelers have won two.

Penrith have also won two since Illawarra was admitted.

Now there's three recent expansion teams with huge junior areas that have actually put their money where there mouth is and produced success – All you lot ever to is bleat about the apparent 'talent' and 'quality' of your juniors.

You've done nothing.
Bears won 2 premierships thank you very much.
Cronulla entered the comp in 67(38 years of winning f**k all). And Illawarra shoulda made the grand final in 92 but dodgy reffing stopped us from all reports(although i havent seen the match, going on what i've herd on that one).

Anonymous

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
Yes indeed, 1921 and 1922.

Still, a long time in between drinks.
GoTheBears said:
Cronulla entered the comp in 67(38 years of winning f**k all).
Yep. I wonder if their luck will be better on the Central Coast or Gold Coast.

GoTheBears said:
And Illawarra shoulda made the grand final in 92 but dodgy reffing stopped us from all reports(although i havent seen the match, going on what i've herd on that one).
You're basing a lot of assumption on a game you never saw.
Tell us which decision it was which you thought brought the team undone that year. :?: What was the score again?
Blaming the referee for the one and only opportinity to be in a grand final is a rather long bow to draw.

Anonymous

Juniors
Daithi O'Conaill said:
Yes, as I said, the same year Illawarra where slated to enter the comp, 1967.
This is correct. The Sharks actually got the nod over Illawarra. IMO, a short sighted decision from the NSWRL.

Red Bear

Referee
Willow said:
GoTheBears said:
Yes indeed, 1921 and 1922.

Still, a long time in between drinks.
You don't have to tell me that.
Sorry, i misread Dathai's post. I've said be fore i dont wish cronulla were kicked out, more that they didnt exist in the first place. Illawarra should have been put in then, woulda given us longer to establish ourselves and we woulda gotten some excellent players then.
As for the 92 grand final, i've just herd about 3 tries disallowed and dodgy descision from reports i've read, but having not actually seen the match i can't base a whole lot on the evidence i've seen.

luther

Juniors
Got the Bears

At that game in 92

Great defensive effort from the dragons!!

Mick Beattie was outstanding!!

Yep, Mick Stone referred and the Steelers crossed three times at least to be called back for forward passes and the like. Tough calls from memory.

The Dragons were camped in their defensive quarter for most of the second half.

Hey rememebr 'Chook' Herron. What a winger!! :?

And those awful white padded bike pants Saints wore in those days under Brian Smith!!

Red Bear

Referee
luther said:
Got the Bears

At that game in 92

Great defensive effort from the dragons!!

Mick Beattie was outstanding!!

Yep, Mick Stone referred and the Steelers crossed three times at least to be called back for forward passes and the like. Tough calls from memory.

The Dragons were camped in their defensive quarter for most of the second half.

Hey rememebr 'Chook' Herron. What a winger!! :?

And those awful white padded bike pants Saints wore in those days under Brian Smith!!
To have a 4-0 semi final score sounds pretty incredible. Wish the Steelers had one that game, woulda been their year i reckon, but they blew it :(

92? They would have been dogmeat for Brisbane.

The Steelers best year was 1987 as in that year they managed to avoid winning three consecutive wooden spoons – a hat-trick.

Must have been a euphoic feeling down on the South Coast, much like the feeling that fans get after avoiding relegation.

Dragon

Coach
S2H said:
a) The Steelers were not granted entry to the NSWRL untill 1982. During the time both the Dragons and Steelers were in the competition both clubs won exactly the same ammount of premierships. If the Illawarra was granted entry at an earlier stage chaces are they would have had a few premierships under their belt considering the awesome quality of talent that has come out of the Illawarra region.

b) The Illawarra region has a great and very proud tradition in Rugby league.

c) The Illawarra forms half of the Joint Venture. Why is it that many people on this forum are against recognition of this fact? No-one has ever said lets get rid of the red V, what is the problem with wering the scarlet and white as an away Jersey to give some recognition to the Illawarra and its supporters which for half of the joint venture?

d) The Histories of both clubs and both regions need to be considered.

e) The Steelers Jersey is not the Jersey of another club. It is the jersey of the club which maks up half of the joint venture. It is like saying wearing the 1921 jersey or the 1941 dragons jersey is wearing the jersey of another club.

:clap:

Willow said:
Daithi O'Conaill said:
This is correct. The Sharks actually got the nod over Illawarra. IMO, a short sighted decision from the NSWRL.

Illawarra were blocked by the CRL, the NSWRL were very keen to have us.

The same thing happened in the early 50s.

The earliest was 1939 and it seemed like it might of got off the ground, except for some Queer Loony in Europe who decided to start WWII.

Illawarra (or Southern Division in the 50s and 60s) have an outstanding record against the touring Lions teams, with all the talent from the area, they would of been playing for the Illawarra NSWRL side if the CRL didn't continually stand in the way.

It took St.George over 2 decades to win a premiership. It's unfair to judge the Steelers on their 17 seasons, most of which was taken up by either the tough times of trying to get established during a recession, or the mess that was Super League.

Daithi O'Conaill said:
92? They would have been dogmeat for Brisbane.

In 1992 Brisbane and Illawarra met 4 times, at 2 games a piece.

We beat them 4-2 in the Pre-Season Cup Final, as well as 10-8 at Lang Park. The losses were: 15-8 (with both sides resting star players) and 22-12. Certainly not dog meat... that was St.George in the GF losing 28-6?

Wayne Bennett said he felt very comfortable after St.George 'won' in that semi. The Steelers were the gun team of 92 and would (should) of given them a real shake.

luther said:

The ref was Greg McCallum... I'll never forget! :evil: :p

Anonymous

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Willow said:
Daithi O'Conaill said:

Illawarra were blocked by the CRL, the NSWRL were very keen to have us.
How do you know that?

Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
The same thing happened in the early 50s.
Can you elaborate? What happened in the early 50s?

Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
The earliest was 1939 and it seemed like it might of got off the ground, except for some Queer Loony in Europe who decided to start WWII.
I think you're being harsh on the folks from Versailles... unless you're referring to some other bunch of 'born to rule' Nazis.... were the French gay?

But again, I'd like to know where you get this information from. What are the details of Illawarra's 1939 push for the Sydney comp?

Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Illawarra (or Southern Division in the 50s and 60s) have an outstanding record against the touring Lions teams,
You mean 1940s and 1950s. And one match was against the Lions while the other was against England.
A solid effort and part of a proud history.

Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
with all the talent from the area, they would of been playing for the Illawarra NSWRL side if the CRL didn't continually stand in the way.
:?: Again, please elaborate as to where you heard this.

Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
It took St.George over 2 decades to win a premiership. It's unfair to judge the Steelers on their 17 seasons, most of which was taken up by either the tough times of trying to get established during a recession, or the mess that was Super League.
And there wasn't hard times in the 20s, 30s, and 40s?

This is purely academic.
I can illustrate with the following brief history:
In the 20 years (1921-1941) St George finished in the top four on 11 occasions. They were runners up in 1927 after just 7 seasons.
They were minor premiers in 1928... a title that would have earned them the premiership in earlier seasons.
In 1930 they won the Final! But under a new (newer) system had to play against the minor premiers, Wests, in a grand final. The year before, Saints would have won the premiership.
In 1933, Saints were runners up again.
In 1940, they were club champions and in in 1941, they were premiers.

It took 20 years of disappointment, concerted effort, and 'being robbed' before Saints finally snared the big one.
In my humble opinion, the Steelers struggled to get within range.

Latest posts