What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away jersey

Petebix

Juniors
Are the saints still getting a new away jersey next year? When might there be an anouncement on it?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Last I heard was that as Saints have another year to run with Classic, there won't be a new away strip until 2006...

I can see them doing something really lame like reversing the colours creating a 'White-Vee'.

I think we should just wear our original strip away - black shorts and all.

Biglance

Bench
Steeler jersey should be our away jersey its awesome and it wont be until 2006 said doust

Southernsaint

Staff member
If they wanted a Steelers jersey they should've bargained harder in 1998 or tried to stand alone...

I don't see why the Blood & Bandages needs to be replaced.

Jabs

Juniors
Exactly right Southernsaint.
The only change to our strip should be the shorts and socks.

Anonymous

Juniors
Agreed. It was only supposed to be a 'one off' promotion.
No offence to the men of steel but there is no NRL team called the Steelers.

Southernsaint

Staff member
There's been a hundred threads on the Steelers jersey but my main gripe is that as a club that prides itself on the traditional Red Vee, there's a hell of a lot of other crappy "one-off' jerseys worn.

Home, Away, Charity Shield, ANZAC, Steelers & 1979 jerseys were worn this year. Dousty is really diluting the strength of his "brand"...

Red Bear

Referee
Its simply to make money of course. The red v wil Always be you main jersey so it'll be harder to sell cos once you have one you are unlikely to go out n get one exactly the same(unless you grow out of it).
I reckon it should be 50/50 split of grounds, every game at Win Steelers Jersey and every other game red V, but i know that will never happen.

The Steelers jersey is great, aesthetically attractive and pleasing in its simplicity.

But is just that, a Steelers jersey. The jersey of another football club. Which is why it should never, ever be worn. To think a proud club like St George donning the strip of the Illawarra Steelers, the shame of it.

Collateral

Coach
Willow said:
Agreed. It was only supposed to be a 'one off' promotion.
No offence to the men of steel but there is no NRL team called the Steelers.

I disagree. There is no Saint George Dragons either yet we still wear the Red V. The Red V is one of (if not), the best jersey in the competition by far. The blood and bandages is very average though. It is just a red and white hooped jersey.

We are the Saint George ILLAWARRA Dragons, whether diehard Saints fans like it or not. We merged with the Illawarra Steelers. I dont see this as losing our past and culture, but more like adding to it.

If we didnt have the Illawarra side of the venture we would be without:

Timmins
Barrett
Cooper
Hornby
Bailey
Ryles

And I am sure we will have many, many more promising juniors coming up from that area in the near and distant future. My question to Saints fans (Saint George Dragons fans), is:

Why do you hate the team that we are (1) Merged with and (2) Provides us with a great Homeground in WIN Stadium and heaps of Superstar Juniors?

I think they (Steelers and their fans) deserve to have a bit more recognition than Illawarra on the logo and as STASE would say "Illasox" (Steelers socks as apart of our uniform).
We already overuse the Blood and Bandages Jersey (all of my mates reckon it is crap). The Steelers jersey was used as a promotional thing, but it went over very well and means a fair bit to the players from that region, as well as it being apart of our NEW culture.

*Before the Merger I was a Dragons fan.

Anonymous

Juniors
RedDragon said:
We are the Saint George ILLAWARRA Dragons.
As it stands, you are correct. When the team name is changed to St George Illawarra Dragons Steelers, let us know.
Remember the JV agreement? There was no mention of wearing a Steelers jersey. The AGREEMENT was to wear the Red V.

The Blood and bandages jersey was (and still is) the away strip.
In December 2000, it was announced the club was considering making this 'official' (ie the Blood and bandages jersey being the away strip). This was because it was already being occasionally used anyway and it was a good marketing opportunity.

They asked fans what they thought and there was virtually no objections. So it was passed without a hitch. IMO, the Steelers jersey will not be greeted with the same overwhelming approval. It will only cause division and is just another nail in the JV coffin.

I'm sorry, but I can't support the move.

Anonymous

Juniors
RedDragon said:
If we didnt have the Illawarra side of the venture we would be without:

Timmins
Barrett
Cooper
Hornby
Bailey
Ryles
With respect, you don't know that for sure.
The only thing we do know is that they wouldn't be playing with the Steelers.

Collateral

Coach
Fair enough Willow, but that was back in 2000....4 years ago.
I just think that they should get more recognition and the Blood and bandages jersey just adds to the Saints fans who want the Steelers kicked out of the JV.

Mighty Dragon

Juniors
I hope we dont wear the Steelers jersey, I hope we use the real blood and bandages ( like the Bulldogs heritage jersey but red/white)

Anyway I would just like to say we only wore the blood and bandages once, and the Steelers jersey once in 2004, so its not a massive deal.

Anonymous

Juniors
RedDragon said:
Fair enough Willow, but that was back in 2000....4 years ago.
I just think that they should get more recognition and the Blood and bandages jersey just adds to the Saints fans who want the Steelers kicked out of the JV.
lol. I'm fine with us having a different view RD.

2001 actually. The feelers went out in December 2000.

My point was the decision to formalise the away strip was done in conjunction with an online survey amongst fans (through the official website).

I don't know if there's any plans to have a similar survey (it's probably too far ahead for anyone to have thought of it yet) but in my personal opinion, having a Steelers away strip won't be as well received.

Collateral

Coach
yeah thats cool. Personally I just think that the B&B Jersey is a bit average...
The Steelers jersey brings a good heritage to the fore as well.

I would like to know what the players would prefer...would they play with a lot more pride and passion wearing a Steelers jersey than a B&B jersey...I guess it comes down to what the club see's as a priority ie. Merchandise sales or team pride in the jersey.

Just out of Curiosity, did you like the Steelers Promo Jersey?