What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett coached Brisbane are pathetic

Frank Facer

First Grade
So Mary is better?

FMD, this forum has become comedy central.

Straight Shooter
I didn't say, Mary is better. I have said numerous times that we have got a better team than Brisbane this year and it will show on the field. I have said many times that games are won on the field. I have said many times that a coach is only as good as the cattle he has to work with.

I will say that Bennett didn't look to get the best out of Hunt. I will also say that Bennett letting Hunt go and replacing him with Nikorima was a bad decision.

I wonder how Bellamy would go if he lost Smith and Slater, without replacing them with quality players. I remember a few years back, when Slater was out injured, Melbourne struggled to win a game.

I didn't say, Mary is better. I have said numerous times that we have got a better team than Brisbane this year and it will show on the field. I have said many times that games are won on the field. I have said many times that a coach is only as good as the cattle he has to work with.

I will say that Bennett didn't look to get the best out of Hunt. I will also say that Bennett letting Hunt go and replacing him with Nikorima was a bad decision.

I wonder how Bellamy would go if he lost Smith and Slater, without replacing them with quality players. I remember a few years back, when Slater was out injured, Melbourne struggled to win a game.

Bennett's record speaks for itself. Unfortunately, so does Mary's.

Your pseudo analysis doesn't change the standings of each man (if indeed a vegetable can be referred to as a man) in the game.

Straight Shooter

BennyV

Referee

- Bennett didnt ‘let Hunt go’. We cameup with a far superior offer.
- Bennett got a hell of a lot from Hunt. Despite the dropped ball, Hunt was instrumental in their 2015 season and if it wasn’t for Bennett’s game plan being stuck in 2010, they’d have won that premiership.
- Melbourne struggled to win a game without Slater? Oh, you mean the year they made the Grand Final without him? Yeah, tough year that one!!

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bennett's record speaks for itself. Unfortunately, so does Mary's.

Your pseudo analysis doesn't change the standings of each man (if indeed a vegetable can be referred to as a man) in the game.

Straight Shooter
Bennett coaching the star studded Brisbane teams to win 6 premierships didn't prove anything to me, except that the team with the best players wins more comps than those that don't. I could have coached Brisbane to win 6 comps during the 20 years that Bennett was at Brisbane for, before he came to coach us. You could have coached Brisbane to win 6 comps with the players Bennett had during the 20 year stint that Bennett coached them for from 1988 to 2008.

Bennett taking us to a premiership, proved more to me than the combined 5 premierships that he won at Brisbane.

When Mary took over us, he had a very poor roster to work with and were still reeling from the mess that Bennett left us in. Our forwards had the soft tag. We didn't have any decent props. We had Marshall as our halfback and we had Dugan at fullback. Since then we have recruited well and are now becoming a premiership contender. I don't know how much credit Mary can take for our recruitment? I am not a fan of Mary. He is too slow to react, he continues to select the wrong players. He continues to select out of form players.

Brisbane are on a downward spiral over the last few years, while Bennett has returned to coaching them.

I will also add that Bennett left Newcastle in a heap too.

Frank Facer

First Grade
- Bennett didnt ‘let Hunt go’. We cameup with a far superior offer.
- Bennett got a hell of a lot from Hunt. Despite the dropped ball, Hunt was instrumental in their 2015 season and if it wasn’t for Bennett’s game plan being stuck in 2010, they’d have won that premiership.
- Melbourne struggled to win a game without Slater? Oh, you mean the year they made the Grand Final without him? Yeah, tough year that one!!

lol

No I wasn't referring to 2016 when Melbourne made the Grand Final without Slater, they had Cameron Munster there as their fullback that year, so they had a very good replacement. I was referring to maybe the year before that? Slater was out injured and Melbourne lost numerous games on the trot. When Slater returned that same season, their form slump was coincidentally over and they went back to their winning ways.

You said that Bennett got a hell of a lot from Hunt. Bennett thought Hunt's form was that poor last year that he dropped him to reserve grade.

Bennett didn't think that Brisbane should have competed with us for his signature. If he did, Hunt probably would have stayed in Brisbane. If Bennett really wanted to keep Hunt, then he would have stayed.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Bennett coaching the star studded Brisbane teams to win 6 premierships didn't prove anything to me, except that the team with the best players wins more comps than those that don't. I could have coached Brisbane to win 6 comps during the 20 years that Bennett was at Brisbane for, before he came to coach us. You could have coached Brisbane to win 6 comps with the players Bennett had during the 20 year stint that Bennett coached them for from 1988 to 2008.

Bennett taking us to a premiership, proved more to me than the combined 5 premierships that he won at Brisbane.

When Mary took over us, he had a very poor roster to work with and were still reeling from the mess that Bennett left us in. Our forwards had the soft tag. We didn't have any decent props. We had Marshall as our halfback and we had Dugan at fullback. Since then we have recruited well and are now becoming a premiership contender. I don't know how much credit Mary can take for our recruitment? I am not a fan of Mary. He is too slow to react, he continues to select the wrong players. He continues to select out of form players.

Brisbane are on a downward spiral over the last few years, while Bennett has returned to coaching them.

I will also add that Bennett left Newcastle in a heap too.
He should have gone to Souths, he would have won a premiership with that team as well.

We are currently seeing how Bellemy goes without Cronk

Crush

Coach
Interesting comments above.
What a fascinating start to the season. Parra were in everyone's top 4 I think and they are 0/4. Broncos are damn lucky to be 2/2, they could easily be 0/4. Sharks gave them a win and tigers, well we all saw that debacle.
Talking of Cronk he looked terrible for the roosters on the weekend against warriors. Hopefully he fails miserably with that mob.
Tigers, Warriors, Dragons all look pretty good, especially the Warriors. Real deal?
Anyway, too early to be writing any teams off I think. Except maybe the Raiders? I cannot see them coming back.

giboz71

First Grade
Dogs made grand finals and a minor premiership with Hopkinson/Keating and Reynolds as their halves!! It’s a poor excuse.

Hodkinson and Reynolds were the Origin halves who ended Qld’s streak. They were hardly shit.

In fact, the Dogs went to shit as soon as they let go a proper organising half in Hodkinson (along with Ennis and Barba). Hodkinson’s already showing his value in the Sharks 2 wins this year. While not elite, he knows how to play in the halves.

Not even Hasler could solve the problem of no half (Mbye has no business playing halfback.)

Last edited:

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
Bennett has lost it. It’s now bit him on the arse.

1. Left the donkeys place Henjak as coach, Bennett was responsible for steering the team to failure

2. Left the dragons placed Price as head coach and left the place worse than ever

3. Left the knights virtually gave Brown a team of reserve graders.

4. Gies back to the donkeys and is tasting his own medicine.

Bennett is in it for himself. His press conference said it all. Naming and blaming players. Look at your self old man. Give it up your ego is getting bigger by the minute.
Spot on mate:relaxed::thumbsup::ok_hand:

BennyV

Referee
Hodkinson and Reynolds were the Origin halves who ended Qld’s streak. They were hardly shit.

In fact, the Dogs went to shit as soon as they let go a proper organising half in Hodkinson (along with Ennis and Barba). Hodkinson’s already showing his value in the Sharks 2 wins this year. While not elite, he knows how to play in the halves.

Not even Hasler could solve the problem of no half (Mbye has no business playing halfback.)
While Hodkinson and Reynolds are far from shit together, they wouldn't have been in anyone's Top 5 half pairings in 2014. And they Made a grand final. Even more shocking is the Keating/Reynolds pairing (wouldn't have been in the Top 10 half pairings) that won a minor premiership! All the above was on the back of an innovative game plan and smart coaching, despite a poor set of halves (although 2014 was a lot of luck).

Point I'm making is that 'we didnt have the halves' is a poor excuse for the failure of the last few years. A decent coach could have stopped our mid-season destruction last year AND still ended up with Ben Hunt in the halves in 2018. Sure, this squad may take Mary into the finals (although I'll admit, I'm seeing some improvements in his tactics and strategy, but early days) but in order to win a premiership, you need a balanced squad, a smart coaching staff and some luck. Brisbane are lacking 1 and a half of these ingredients, but for us I dont believe we are giving ourselves the best chance to win the big one over the next few years regardless of the squad.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Bennett hasnt won a premiership since 2010 and thats being at 3 clubs missing the finals twice.

So is it coach or cattle or is it both?

Brisbane struggling this year. Storm also not as dominant as in previous years.

to_ddeath

Coach
Bennett hasnt won a premiership since 2010 and thats being at 3 clubs missing the finals twice.

So is it coach or cattle or is it both?

Brisbane struggling this year. Storm also not as dominant as in previous years.

His style is a bit dated and repetitive..though still has many more trophies in his cabinet than any of his baggers do.

2010Dragons

Bench
Said it before, but I can’t believe how the Broncos & Bennett underestimated Ben Hunt. Our club hasn’t had a representative level half since Billy Smith so we appreciate his value.
At least 4 players are playing better due to his presence alone. Meanwhile the Broncos look ordinary.

When Clint Eastwood put Ben Hunt on a platter for us and made us true contenders in 2018.

Thank you Clint Wayne Eastwood Bennett..."go ahead punk make my day".... you made day...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Bennett's rosters in all his career have been top 6 material. He has never had a side that you can say were considered wooden spoon or bottom 6. Even at Newcastle he had some guns at the time. One thing for sure is when he leaves a club, he leaves a huge mess behind that ex-Dragon's have had to clean up in Brown and McGregor. Actually Henjak also played for Saints as well. Demitriou may end up cleaning up this mess if he gets booted.

What he did at Saints was not only win a comp but make the Dragons the benchmark for 2-3 years. They were so much better than everyone else it was not funny those years. 2010 was the perfect season winning everything on offer. GIve him credit for that and we should not forget the role he played. Browny had a lot to do with that as well as he prepared these juniors and had them ready for Bennett to get them to the next steps of the careers.

Bennet has won 6 premierships 3 against Brian Smith. Could have been him 3 Smithy 3 (2 with Saints I may add).

Latest posts