What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bernie Gurr

Chipmunk

Coach
Cheap feeds.

https://www.parraleagues.com.au/sites/parraleagues/files/PLC_Constitution.pdf

This is the first 5 points of the Objects of the Leagues Club Constitution.

The objects for which the Club is established are:
(a) To manage, conduct, control and promote the game of rugby league football in the Parramatta district or elsewhere.
(b) To assist generally in the promotion, conduct and propagation of rugby league football in the Parramatta district or elsewhere and to promote or assist in the provision of training and conditioning and teaching facilities for football played in accordance with the rules of the New South Wales Rugby League Limited.
(c) To render aid either by financial or other means to clubs and associations in the Parramatta district or elsewhere, which clubs and associations are playing or conducting football played in accordance with the rules of the New South Wales Rugby League Limited.
(d) To provide football grounds and ovals at or near Parramatta or elsewhere for the playing and practising of the game of football and for training for football and to layout, prepare, construct, alter and maintain grounds and ovals for football and other purposes of the Club and to provide, layout, prepare, construct, alter and maintain clubhouses, pavilions, dressing rooms, grandstands and other accommodation and facilities for spectators and other conveniences in connection therewith.
(e) To provide financial or other assistance to other football codes, sports and activities in the Parramatta district or elsewhere.

That to me says that it's priority is to fund the football team.

T.S Quint

Coach
The issue I have is, if a better alternative came along but wasn't cheaper, it seems they will decide cost over the benefit of the team

If there was a better alternative to come along, I'm sure they would weigh up their options.
I seriously doubt if they desperately needed someone in such a position, that Bernie and BA insisted, that Max would just tell them to f**k off straight away.
But unfortunately in business, you have to consider costs and whether or not certain hirings will recoup those costs. That's where I'm sure we have no f**king idea whether or not we need someone new in this position, because we don't know what they do or how they operate.
It seemed like Bernie was handling the job last year. It only seems like he's out of his depth to some this year because we've lost some games. Would changing the Manager of Football have changed our record at all?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

(a) To manage, conduct, control and promote the game of rugby league football in the Parramatta district or elsewhere.
(b) To assist generally in the promotion, conduct and propagation of rugby league football in the Parramatta district or elsewhere and to promote or assist in the provision of training and conditioning and teaching facilities for football played in accordance with the rules of the New South Wales Rugby League Limited.
(c) To render aid either by financial or other means to clubs and associations in the Parramatta district or elsewhere, which clubs and associations are playing or conducting football played in accordance with the rules of the New South Wales Rugby League Limited.
(d) To provide football grounds and ovals at or near Parramatta or elsewhere for the playing and practising of the game of football and for training for football and to layout, prepare, construct, alter and maintain grounds and ovals for football and other purposes of the Club and to provide, layout, prepare, construct, alter and maintain clubhouses, pavilions, dressing rooms, grandstands and other accommodation and facilities for spectators and other conveniences in connection therewith.
(e) To provide financial or other assistance to other football codes, sports and activities in the Parramatta district or elsewhere.

(f) Cheap feeds.

Chipmunk

Coach
It does fund the football team (along with the NRL grants).
It also has to stay in business for itself. The original purpose of a Leagues Club was to give funding to the footy club, yes, but is that its only function now? I'm guessing it functions as a separate entity even more so these days. The board and CEO of the club can't have millions of dollars of unnecessary funds just being eaten up by the footy club. They need to have a reason as to why they need the extra money, and maybe this is something that is deemed unneeded.

The Leagues Club is essentially a not-for-profit organisation. I'd argue that if it is making a profit that it should justify why those profits aren't being spent on the objects within the constitution.

T.S Quint

Coach

To me it says there is a shitload more they need to be doing apart from funding the Parramatta Eels football team.
They also need money to fund the juniors in the Parramatta district, as well as promote it; provide funding and maintenance for training grounds around the Parra district; provide funding and promotion for other sports and activities (including other football codes) in the Parramatta district.

If all the money is going to the NRL team, where is the rest of the money coming from?

El Diablo

Post Whore

#AxeMax

Footy club spending only became an issue when it was used by Todd as an avenue to attack our club while organising the coup. Now it's just some shit for lazy journos to attach our name to and go to the pub. And now our club is hamstrung by this rubbish.

T.S Quint

Coach

Also, you only listed the first 5 points.
There are 21 points in total, so obviously it's not all about giving out money for footy.

Chipmunk

Coach
To me it says there is a shitload more they need to be doing apart from funding the Parramatta Eels football team.
They also need money to fund the juniors in the Parramatta district, as well as promote it; provide funding and maintenance for training grounds around the Parra district; provide funding and promotion for other sports and activities (including other football codes) in the Parramatta district.

If all the money is going to the NRL team, where is the rest of the money coming from?

I believe the not-fot-profit League Club makes a handy profit

T.S Quint

Coach
The Leagues Club is essentially a not-for-profit organisation. I'd argue that if it is making a profit that it should justify why those profits aren't being spent on the objects within the constitution.

How much profit have they made over the last few years?

Chipmunk

Coach
Also, you only listed the first 5 points.
There are 21 points in total, so obviously it's not all about giving out money for footy.

No, but generally the priority is the first objects. The 6 one is to fund the cheap feeds @Gary Gutful was alluding to. The rest are standard objects in every not-for-profits constitution.

T.S Quint

Coach
https://www.parraleagues.com.au/sites/parraleagues/files/PARRALEAGUES_Annual Report 2017-WEB.pdf

I hope someone can help me here as I'm not very good with numbers and finances and shit.

But in this report from October last year, it was reported that we made a profit of $1.5 million.
Without going into the other shit, like investment activities, assets and liabilities, that's not much. This new development of the club and carpark would be much more than that.

I know that there were news reports mentioning losses of $10m-$11m, but I'm not sure how legit they are.

Chipmunk

Coach
https://www.parraleagues.com.au/sites/parraleagues/files/PARRALEAGUES_Annual Report 2017-WEB.pdf

I hope someone can help me here as I'm not very good with numbers and finances and shit.

But in this report from October last year, it was reported that we made a profit of $1.5 million.
Without going into the other shit, like investment activities, assets and liabilities, that's not much. This new development of the club and carpark would be much more than that.

I know that there were news reports mentioning losses of $10m-$11m, but I'm not sure how legit they are.

As far as I'm aware the $10m-$11m loss is for the Football team or PNRL. It is my understanding that this entity could never have made an actual profit in the past because the Leagues Club received the grant from the NRL, not the football club. Not sure if this is going to be the case going forward.

I do like how even Bernie refers to Mannah as 'Timmy'...no, wait, I don't like it at all. Although it is a bit funny. Or slightly amusing. Or symptomatic of all the shit that's wrong with our club. It's definitely something though.