What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird for fullback

Fullback has a key organisational role in defence and general structure, as well as a lot of high pressure situations to deal with. Barba handled it all exceptionally.

We're haven't seen either step into the #1 position yet, but I think Bird's temperament is much better-suited to playing the custodial role than Val. Despite Val's limited prior experience, I believe Bird has a more dominant personality suited to playing fullback in the modern game. Reminds me a bit of Dugan.

Bird to #1. Ramen slots into Bird's three-quarter spot? Val is a natural winger, leave him there. Beale at the back? No f**king way.

Thoughts? (If I'm re-hashing an old topic, please ignore/delete)

Madsharkie

First Grade
You lost me at "reminds me a bit of Dugan". That guy can barely carry his own tattoos...

I read somewhere that Bird didn't really want to play fullback, which kinda makes this a moot point, particularly when we're lucky enough to have Val in the team. If Val isn't there then maybe Bird at 1, with Capewell in the centres and Ramien on the wing. But the flange will likely choose Beale over an unproven guy (Ramien).

IMO if Val's fit he's got to be at 1. Really looking forward to seeing him have the extra space in attack and seeing how he develops.

Card Shark

Immortal
Bird is best suited to centre, last year showed that.

Holmes has the potential to be a good fullback over time.

Beale is a stop gap fullback until he is fit I'd say.

Dugan has a way over-inflated opinion of himself.

bluefox1968

Juniors
Watched Bird in the trials at fullback last year.

Wasn't good. Not his position.

Agree.

Right centre IS his position.

His dumb passing options mean he's not a great 5/8th (or fullback). His aggressive running and ad-lib style make him a good option at centre (at least at the moment).

Thanks for feedback. I also tend to agree that Bird is best suited to centre atm. While I could easily see Val as a devastating open-field running fullBack, I'm more concerned that he doesn't quite have enough of of the necessary confidence/attitude/mongrel about him to boss the defensive line as and when needed. I could be wrong. Flanno seems to have him earmarked for the job and I trust Flanno & team to make the right call.

Seems like Birdy is shaping up to play fb in WCC.

He was very vocal at the back in the Broncos trial before he got injured.

Cheers SM05, I missed seeing that trial but hearing this warms the cockles of a now-middle-aged man's ticker. I may have spoken too soon. Especially if Val plays Origin after having completed the 'Roo tour I'd imagine his leadership should develop considerably.