What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brent Reid re Ben HuntRhen

st.phil

Bench
Don't think the QLD est aka the "big 4" are huge fans of Hunt - Thurston really dug into him post the game. Perhaps Billy being back may have added a little neggy energy - he is better off down here out of the QLD pressure cooker.

hazzbeen

Bench
The whole of Queensland are giving it to him . Cronk is the only one that has defended him .....

True_Believer

Juniors
Sack the bloke who had one poor game, the bloke who is leading the team that’s leading the comp around the field every week, and replace him with a bloke who’s side is coming 11th.
Jeez I hope so.

Take a look at 5 out of the top 6 teams in the NRL. All of them have a creative half and a controlling half. Melbourne have Smith which compensates for the lack of direction in the halves. NSW have the Penrith combination with Maloney as the guiding force.

I haven’t watched many GC games so I don’t know whether Ash Taylor is that controlling type of player. If he isn’t and they put him in, once Billy retires, they have no one in that spine controlling the game.

Take a look at 5 out of the top 6 teams in the NRL. All of them have a creative half and a controlling half. Melbourne have Smith which compensates for the lack of direction in the halves. NSW have the Penrith combination with Maloney as the guiding force.

I haven’t watched many GC games so I don’t know whether Ash Taylor is that controlling type of player. If he isn’t and they put him in, once Billy retires, they have no one in that spine controlling the game.

I think Taylor is more the instinctive player, in the Milford mode, it may work for a game, but not controlling Origin long term.

hazzbeen

Bench
I think Taylor is more the instinctive player, in the Milford mode, it may work for a game, but not controlling Origin long term.
Hunt will be just fine if given another chance , he can be there for along time . taking Smith and Cronk out of the side and soon Slater its going to take time for combinations to form . I still think Hunt is the the way to go , just needs to be selected for game 3 and prove he should be there ....

giboz71

First Grade
I really hope Hunt bounces back from this, he is under a very serious amount of scrutiny right now. It's coming at him from all angles. He needs to stay resilient and let his footy for the Dragons do the talking.

Could it really be any worse than the dropped ball in the GF?? He seemed to recover from that ok.

He made one bad kick FFS, the rest of his game wasn’t too bad. As usual the press and social media heroes are making more of this than they really should. FMD, now I know what Mitchell Pearce feels like (even tho I think Hunt is streets ahead of Pearce).

Hopefully he shakes it off and has a blinder for the Dragons against the Eels.

The Damo

Juniors
I rate Mitchell Pearce as a gun NRL halfback that wasn't/isn't quite at that super elite level (JT, Langer, Sterlo).
Ben Hunt seems to be the same. A gun NRL halfback but not one who will be talked about in 20-30 years time like the elite.
That's fine, just guide us to the 2018 premiership Benny as Sowie did in 2010.
This is pretty right I think. Right now though he’s easily the best choice for Queensland halfback. DCE is next, and he’s both not as good as Hunt and a giant dickhead. Ash Taylor is very talented when his team has the ball twenty metres from the try line, and mostly invisible otherwise. They need an organising half to go with Munster so that’s Milf and Nikorima out.
He’s not among the best halfbacks of all time, but he is right among the best halfbacks of right now.

The Damo

Juniors
Sack the bloke who had one poor game, the bloke who is leading the team that’s leading the comp around the field every week, and replace him with a bloke who’s side is coming 11th.
Jeez I hope so.
I’d be stoked if Queensland pick Taylor over Hunt, honestly be nearly as bad a call as picking Milf over Pongafor game 1

ouryears

Bench
I’d be stoked if Queensland pick Taylor over Hunt, honestly be nearly as bad a call as picking Milf over Pongafor game 1
Love to read what some of you would have wrote if it was Pearce or Keary for us having the same shocker.

Or DCE for them.

Double standards.....sucks

hewi

Bench
Hunt makes a kick on the third tackle that goes over the dead ball line, if it had stayed in and they got a repeat set the media would have said how brilliant he was. You can’t win.

watatank

Coach
It was tackle 3! QLD had the extra man, an extra set, all the territory and had been breaking the line all game. It's not unreasonable to expect Hunt to get the job done there. If Pearce did something like that for NSW or if Hunt was still at the Broncos everyone would be looking at it differently.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Hunt makes a kick on the third tackle that goes over the dead ball line, if it had stayed in and they got a repeat set the media would have said how brilliant he was. You can’t win.
Well you can. (Win that is)
If you are going to do something.
Do it well.
Hunt didn't.
If he was a Bronco, you would be more honest with your assessment.
That I am sure of.

blacksafake

First Grade
McCullough & some of the forwards Imo are more of a problem than Hunt. Solid player sure, but offers very little in attack with no kicking game, no running game & little vision at times. Every man & his dog has been kicking Hunt since Sunday night saying he went the wrong way when Roberts was binned but for me McCullough should have been the one sending the ball to the left. Segeyaro would be far more dangerous out of dummy half but he’s a 1000 to 1 of being picked.

Old Timer

Coach
Qld f**ked up by allowing it to be the Slater & Munster show.
They relied on the Melbourne connection (as they have done previously) to get them through and when it didn't they then reverted to Hunt for the answer and after 1 shot at a play with 7 minutes still remaining they want to bag out Hunt for them losing f**king ridiculous.
Sure he made a mistake by kicking it too far but shit happens and if they had of had him as the main play maker from the get go them maybe he would not have been under so much pressure so late in the game.
The Qld supporters and ex players should be critical of a lot pf things not just Hunt as many of their "stars" failed to execute at the previous high levels of other Qld teams and the tactics employed were obviously flawed due to them letting the Storm connection dictate the play.