What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bryce Cartwright "allegedly" pays side chick 50k for abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never mind the $50k did she get the first class plane tickets? I'm sure she needed some recovery R&R in Europe poor girl.

TheFrog

Coach
Yeah, imagine taking $50K to have an abortion you don't believe in when you could have given it up for adoption.
I suspect she was never ever going through with the pregnancy. She would have had to give up what appears to be a quite lucrative and glamorous media career. A career most young women would give their eye teeth for.

I could be wrong about this, but it looks a bit like she has been trying to get whatever she could out of it all along. Maybe that is why she has gone to the media now. Are they paying her for the story?

TheFrog

Coach
LZ regardless of how this incident has been played out is a pretty switched on guy.
I disagree. If he's been "switched on" he'd have pointed Cartwright towards someone who would have drawn up a proper watertight agreement with confidentiality clauses, and then none of this would have happened.

soc123_au

Staff member
I disagree. If he's been "switched on" he'd have pointed Cartwright towards someone who would have drawn up a proper watertight agreement with confidentiality clauses, and then none of this would have happened.

I more meant in general. Not in relation to this incident, or at least to how this incident has been reported.

T-Boon

Coach

No sort of clause was going to stop this. The Tele would have just paid what ever penalty for breach of contract and we are in the same place. Plus Cartwright would look even worse for dragging her through Court to enforce the breach. Penrith and the NRL would not have allowed that to happen.

TheFrog

Coach
No sort of clause was going to stop this. The Tele would have just paid what ever penalty for breach of contract and we are in the same place. Plus Cartwright would look even worse for dragging her through Court to enforce the breach. Penrith and the NRL would not have allowed that to happen.
But if a lawyer had handled it, what would the Telegraph have had to froth at the mouth about? No fixer, no text messages, only a confidential agreement drawn up and executed by a professional. This sort of thing has happened a thousand times before. It would have been a non-story and even the DT would not have gone there IMHO.

What should have been realised was that she wasn't going to abandon her glamorous career in international TV to live on Cartwright's $20k a year child support, in fact I think a smart cookie might have called her bluff on that one and offered her nothing.

haha

Juniors
Is there any other kind of abortion? Is it only ok if it is in the womans self interest?

Yeah medical reasons. And not the woman's self interests either.

She's stupid for getting it done if she didn't want to, but to me it appears she was pressured which is worse.

Just my opinion though.

bileduct

Coach
If a lawyer handled it the story would instead be about how Cartwright went and hired legal eagles to harass her.

Remember, this is The Daily Telegraph.

Lambretta

First Grade
In the end this girl is most likely going to come out looking terrible. But I don't blame her here because we have become a society where girls have learned to think that it is heroic to be a victim and to almost crave that status. There is a sort of a sainthood attached to it for girls. It is the victimhood industrial complex.

What the f**k are you on?
How many women are killed through domestic violence every year in Australia alone?
More than one a week

Are you suggesting they're asking for it?

bileduct

Coach
I could be wrong about this, but it looks a bit like she has been trying to get whatever she could out of it all along. Maybe that is why she has gone to the media now. Are they paying her for the story?
An article I read earlier today that is now paywalled said that she was in contact with the media in October last year. That's what Lou's question regarding Tim Morrissey of The Daily Telegraph was all about. Miss X was, get this... trying to get in contact with Phil Gould through Tim Morrissey.

And that would have been within the same month she found out about the pregnancy, and a month before she had the abortion.

TheFrog

Coach
If a lawyer handled it the story would instead be about how Cartwright went and hired legal eagles to harass her.
Sounds very much like defamation territory, and the last person you want going you for defamation is a lawyer.

bileduct

Coach
What the f**k are you on?
How many women are killed through domestic violence every year in Australia alone?
More than one a week

Are you suggesting they're asking for it?
He never mentioned anything about victims of domestic violence "asking for it."

What has been quite a noticeable trend lately, however, is people either exaggerating or outright fabricating their victimhood in order to gain acceptance into or recognition within movements like feminism, Black Lives Matter, etc.. It seems that these days the media is quite willing to give anyone a platform (not just women, though they do seem to be preferred) to tell tales of victimhood that usually haven't been reported to police and are often completely unverifiable. Look at what happened with Rolling Stone and "A Rape on Campus." Look at Sarah Silverman lying about being on the receiving end of wage discrimination. Look at any number of Black Lives Matter activists that go to the media with some story that about copping racist behaviour from your old pal whitey only for the security video or other evidence to appear demonstrating they staged the event. Look at what Jian Ghomeshi's accusers were able to get away with saying in public compared to what was said in court and proven beyond any shadow of a doubt to be complete falsehoods.

Yeah, we all know that domestic violence is a serious issue. But don't pretend that there aren't people out there that are willing to take advantage of the growing acceptance of "listen and believe" to suit their own personal interests.

bileduct

Coach
Sounds very much like defamation territory, and the last person you want going you for defamation is a lawyer.
That's why The Daily Telegraph has their own lawyers to make sure they stay within legal bounds. She only has to say that she felt harassed by him hiring a lawyer.

bileduct

Coach
Sorry, I don't think it'd have legs.
Miss X: "Well, I was trying to keep it a private matter between Bryce and myself but he cut off all contact and I could only talk to his lawyer. The lawyer kept asking me to make a choice and wouldn't listen to me, I felt very pressured and intimidated by him into having the abortion."

What's the difference?

TheFrog

Coach
Miss X: "Well, I was trying to keep it a private matter between Bryce and myself but he cut off all contact and I could only talk to his lawyer. The lawyer kept asking me to make a choice and wouldn't listen to me, I felt very pressured and intimidated by him into having the abortion."

What's the difference?
A lawyer, rather than an NRL player, is the one the allegations are made against. The NRL player is incidental. Being a professional, the lawyer would not have kept asking her to make a choice and would have listened to her. Ideally, and being a person of adequate means, Miss X would have her own lawyer representing her.

And no, I'm not a lawyer. In fact I hate the bastards. But there are times when you need one, and for Bryce Cartwright, this was one of them.

Lambretta

First Grade
He never mentioned anything about victims of domestic violence "asking for it."

What has been quite a noticeable trend lately, however, is people either exaggerating or outright fabricating their victimhood in order to gain acceptance into or recognition within movements like feminism, Black Lives Matter, etc.. It seems that these days the media is quite willing to give anyone a platform (not just women, though they do seem to be preferred) to tell tales of victimhood that usually haven't been reported to police and are often completely unverifiable. Look at what happened with Rolling Stone and "A Rape on Campus." Look at Sarah Silverman lying about being on the receiving end of wage discrimination. Look at any number of Black Lives Matter activists that go to the media with some story that about copping racist behaviour from your old pal whitey only for the security video or other evidence to appear demonstrating they staged the event. Look at what Jian Ghomeshi's accusers were able to get away with saying in public compared to what was said in court and proven beyond any shadow of a doubt to be complete falsehoods.

Yeah, we all know that domestic violence is a serious issue. But don't pretend that there aren't people out there that are willing to take advantage of the growing acceptance of "listen and believe" to suit their own personal interests.

Oh dear

Number of reported rapes not charged (over 90%)

vs

number of reported rapes where a woman lied (less than 3%)

and you say women are making it up?
f**king hell - you're deluded

Women don't make up their victim hood - they are victims.

LESStar58

Referee
Oh dear

Number of reported rapes not charged (over 90%)

vs

number of reported rapes where a woman lied (less than 3%)

and you say women are making it up?
f**king hell - you're deluded

Women don't make up their victim hood - they are victims.

I thought the number of false allegations were almost impossible to quantify..

Status
Not open for further replies.