What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burger Bird

Gareth67

First Grade
For mine, it's a grand final between Steve Morris (Roosters) and Lance Thompson (Cronulla).

Both instances left me gutted.

Steve Morris I was indeed sad to see him go however the man certainly left us with some great memories. Lance Thompson - he gave his all to the club and the circumstances of his departure will always leave the Dragons management with a black eye , what a dismal , dismal way to shaft one of the clubs most big hearted players that ever donned the red and white of St.George .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Steve Morris I was indeed sad to see him go however the man certainly left us with some great memories. Lance Thompson - he gave his all to the club and the circumstances of his departure will always leave the Dragons management with a black eye , what a dismal , dismal way to shaft one of the clubs most big hearted players that ever donned the red and white of St.George .

It was more like a concussion than a black eye.

Crush

Coach
I'm too young to remember this game but let it go. It"d it be cathartic given that Manly are struggling to say the least. I'm preparing for them to scoop the spoon this year. Hope that makes you somewhat happier ;)
How old are you DQ? Your profile says 54? I am 42 and remember Michael O'Conner in 1985. He was my hero as well. That kick from the sideline. WOW!

Frank Facer

First Grade
In truth blacksafake I have only the occasional , however I ensure that there's ice - must have ice and dry ginger ale in it . Enjoy a few cold V.B 's before hand though . But back to O'Conner I was rather irked by his sudden departure to the silver tails , after all the Dragons taught him the ' niceties ' of the game and then - wham bam thank you very much Ma'am and he was off quicker than a bloke who had a 1 night stand .

Yes it certainly did ALSGI, that was an even greater shock to the system , not only a very clever ball player and organiser but also our captain and not a bluudy word . And to make matters worse from a Premiership winning team , geeze there must had been a huge sum of money involved.

And Bird - what can one say ? Of late there has been a number of high profile players signed by the Broncos who just have not been able to deliver the goods . There could be any number of reasons for this - the environment of the club itself , not being able to find their ' groove ' in a new team , the coaching methods or dare I suggest the coach himself ? Whatever it may be , I really will not lose any sleep over it as I follow the competition leaders in the Big Red V jersey . :innocent:
O'Conner went to Manly, because he worked for Wormald, who were their sponsor at the time. I was very pissed off about losing O'Conner too. He was my favourite player at the time. I remember him debuting for us in 1983. He was raw talent and had a magnificent second half of the season. I wasn't shocked when he signed for Manly, as I already knew that he worked for Wormald and there was newspaper talk that he was going to sign with them.

Other loses that I was most pissed about were, Chris Guider to the Church Of Scientology, Brad Mackay to the Western Reds, Tallis to Superleague and Brisbane, Mundine to Superleague and Brisbane, Jason Stevens to Superleague and Cronulla and Nathan Brown to Superleague and Cronula, Luke Bailey to the Gold Coast, Mark Gasnier to French Rugby and Trent Barrett to ESL.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Any player leaving SGI is bad enough but to depart and go to Manly is unforgettable!

And, he was a Super League advocate too.

Can you give O'Connor one for me please?
I was spewing about Superleague. I was making phone calls to complain and say my piece. I must have rang someone associated with Superleague, because Michael O'Conner rang me back personally on my home phone to try to appease me. It didn't work.

I rang up 2GB to vent my anger. I remember saying that it was about TV ratings and Foxtel, and that all of the supporters of ARL clubs should boycott Superleague and Foxtel by not watching any of its games, and if that meant not watching the likes of Mundine, Daley, Clyde etc so be it. I never watched a single game of Superleague. I was spewing that Kerry Packer showed Superleague games on Chanel Nine too. I also said that everyone should boycott the Daily Telegraph too. 2GB actually gave me a Classic St George jersey for that phone call.

I still think that the ARL clubs should have stood firm and not done a deal with Superleague. I wish that St George and Illawarra, Wests and Balmain, and Manly and Norths didn't merge. Superleague wouldn't have survived without the ARL clubs. The ARL clubs were NSW rugby league. I also think that the ARL should have taken the Daily Telegraph to court for biased reporting. During that period the Daily Telegraph hardly published any articles about the ARL and if it did so, they were usually negative. As I said, everyone should have boycotted the Daily Telegraph. Without the rugby league supporters the paper would have ran at a lose.

At the very least the ARL clubs should have said any reconciliation meant that no ARL clubs merged and that Cronulla, Canterbury and Penrith were all given the flick. Then we would have go our juniors back from Cronulla and some of Canterbury's too. lol

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
What was the real reason for Lance Thompson leaving?
I think he was too slow. I remember a few players running around him. I was fine with us letting him go at the time. I don't think he ever lived up to the early wraps that were on him as a schoolboy.

Drag Queen

Bench
I was spewing about Superleague. I was making phone calls to complain and say my piece. I must have rang someone associated with Superleague, because Michael O'Conner rang me back personally on my home phone to try to appease me. It didn't work.

I rang up 2GB to vent my anger. I remember saying that it was about TV ratings and Foxtel, and that all of the supporters of ARL clubs should boycott Superleague and Foxtel by not watching any of its games, and if that meant not watching the likes of Mundine, Daley, Clyde etc so be it. I never watched a single game of Superleague. I was spewing that Kerry Packer showed Superleague games on Chanel Nine too. I also said that everyone should boycott the Daily Telegraph too. 2GB actually game me a Classic St George jersey for that phone call.

I still think that the ARL clubs should have stood firm and not done a deal with Superleague. I wish that St George and Illawarra, Wests and Balmain, and Manly and Norths didn't merge. Superleague wouldn't have survived without the ARL clubs. The ARL clubs were NSW rugby league. I also think that the ARL should have taken the Daily Telegraph to court for biased reporting. During that period the Daily Telegraph hardly published any articles about the ARL and if it did so, they were usually negative. As I said, everyone should have boycotted the Daily Telegraph. Without the rugby league supporters the papers would have ran at a lose.

At the very least the ARL clubs should have said any reconciliation meant that no ARL clubs merged and that Cronulla, Canterbury and Penrith were all given the flick. Then we would have go our juniors back from Cronulla and some of Canterbury's too. lol
Are you on the piss Frank? Hope you get a good sleep in,and take some Nurofen:D

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
I doubt that you are even a genuine Saints fan. lol

It looks like you have fake profile. You are probably a fake fan too. lol

Maybe you are really a Penrith fan. lol
So funny. But now that you mention it, I'm a huge Merrin fan. You may be right but you're not. Are you working too at this time? It's a bitch isn't it lol.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

I rang up 2GB to vent my anger. I remember saying that it was about TV ratings and Foxtel, and that all of the supporters of ARL clubs should boycott Superleague and Foxtel by not watching any of its games, and if that meant not watching the likes of Mundine, Daley, Clyde etc so be it. I never watched a single game of Superleague. I was spewing that Kerry Packer showed Superleague games on Chanel Nine too. I also said that everyone should boycott the Daily Telegraph too. 2GB actually gave me a Classic St George jersey for that phone call.

I still think that the ARL clubs should have stood firm and not done a deal with Superleague. I wish that St George and Illawarra, Wests and Balmain, and Manly and Norths didn't merge. Superleague wouldn't have survived without the ARL clubs. The ARL clubs were NSW rugby league. I also think that the ARL should have taken the Daily Telegraph to court for biased reporting. During that period the Daily Telegraph hardly published any articles about the ARL and if it did so, they were usually negative. As I said, everyone should have boycotted the Daily Telegraph. Without the rugby league supporters the paper would have ran at a lose.

I agree with what you've written except about the part regarding "mergers".

Coughs...joint ventures!

You're about one thing, the ARL should never have acquiescenced to Super League's minions as it had the far stronger competition.

Given it was an unauthorised, "rebel" venture itself, it annoys the shit out of me that Brisbane's 1997 ' victory' is considered a legitimate premiership.

It's not.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I agree with what you've written except about the part about "mergers".

Coughs...joint ventures!

You're about one thing, the ARL should never have acquiescenced to Super League's minions as it had the far stronger competition.

Given it was an unauthorised, "rebel" venture itself, it annoys the shit out of me that Brisbane's 1997 ' victory' is considered a legitimate premiership.

It's not.
I agree Jimmy. I realised that I had said mergers and thought about correcting it to Joint Ventures, but I would have had to cough cough before it.