What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burger Bird

Frank Facer

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/be...a/news-story/1d9226c4d3e2b28f99f1c1eb068c9a14

Now I'm not one to put S**t on players that have left the Mighty Dragons, however, I will always laugh at Dugan getting hurt for the Sharks and not playing.

Now Bird.
It's quite obvious he is carrying extra weight this year, now I'm not sure why master coach Bennett thinks Bird is a half of any description, but when he turns up looking, conservatively, 10 kg over is normal playing weight you kinda have to admit there may be a problem.
To my knowledge Bird played most of his juniors at 5/8. When I first heard of him, he was playing 5/8 for one our junior rep teams and there were some big wraps on him. He also played 5/8 for most of his rookie season and played very well there too. I do agree that he is over weight to play 5/8 now.

I always laugh at Dugan getting hurt for Cronulla and not playing for them too. I told the Cronulla fans on their forum to get used to Dugan being injured and then lol after it.

nontime111

Juniors
Steve Morris I was indeed sad to see him go however the man certainly left us with some great memories. Lance Thompson - he gave his all to the club and the circumstances of his departure will always leave the Dragons management with a black eye , what a dismal , dismal way to shaft one of the clubs most big hearted players that ever donned the red and white of St.George .
yes it still disgusts me to this day! a black day for us indeed, if you read this Lance! LEGEND!!!

To my knowledge Bird played most of his juniors at 5/8. When I first heard of him, he was playing 5/8 for one our junior rep teams and there were some big wraps on him. He also played 5/8 for most of his rookie season and played very well there too. I do agree that he is over weight to play 5/8 now.

I always laugh at Dugan getting hurt for Cronulla and not playing for them too. I told the Cronulla fans on their forum to get used to Dugan being injured and then lol after it.

It was mentioned in the paper yesterday that Bird had demanded Bennett play him in the halves, I’m not sure how Wayne responds to player “demands” but the mystery injury Bird suffered may give you the answer.

For mine, it's a grand final between Steve Morris (Roosters) and Lance Thompson (Cronulla).

Both instances left me gutted.

I think Slippery was told to go, I thought the way they treated Thompson was disgraceful, but then I heard some really disturbing stories about his personal life.

giboz71

First Grade
Bird can retire now and have still achieved more than most of our current team.

Rookie of the year/Origin jerseys/premiership.

All before the age of 21.

But hey, of course he wasn’t ready for FG when we let him go.

FMD, I’m glad our recruiting decisions have improved since that pearler.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think Slippery was told to go, I thought the way they treated Thompson was disgraceful, but then I heard some really disturbing stories about his personal life.

I for one certainly did not , nor do I wish to hear those ' stories ' . B.G.Boots - mate I was referring to Thompson the footballer not the man outside of football who as we all are , was entitled to have a private life .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
What was the real reason for Lance Thompson leaving?

He was slowing up a bit , however after putting his all into each game for the Dragons for many years it was only natural.
I believe he left at the end of the season awards night , he was to receive the clubs best and fairest , but was told ( while at the awards ) that he was going to be shafted so promptly left the ceremony .

The next we knew he was in a Sharks Jersey . i believe they were the circumstances of the man departure that was reported by the media at the time .

possm

Coach
Bullshit, OConner destroyed a young persons ability to believe in anything and made me the cynical b***stard I am today.
The young man I used to be cheered himself horse when Micheal scored all of NSWs points in 1985, just dreaming of the next year when he would win the mighty Dragons a premiership all on his own.......then he went to Manly.
#neverforget

Dragons fault, they should have met the market and signed him. It was a very big mistake but not the only mistake our club has made over the years.

ouryears

Bench
He was slowing up a bit , however after putting his all into each game for the Dragons for many years it was only natural.
I believe he left at the end of the season awards night , he was to receive the clubs best and fairest , but was told ( while at the awards ) that he was going to be shafted so promptly left the ceremony .

The next we knew he was in a Sharks Jersey . i believe they were the circumstances of the man departure that was reported by the media at the time .
So he won the best and fairest for the year....and they still wanted to shaft him?

Wow, that makes sense mate.

Must have had a fallout with the coach or someone who had some say.....weird hey.

possm

Coach
Bird can retire now and have still achieved more than most of our current team.

Rookie of the year/Origin jerseys/premiership.

All before the age of 21.

But hey, of course he wasn’t ready for FG when we let him go.

FMD, I’m glad our recruiting decisions have improved since that pearler.
I'm concerned about Lomax, Herbert, Field and Kerr. I feel we will lose these players because we don't value them.

We need GOOD coaching staff to manage these players and ensure they progress when ready. Obviously Bird was ready and our coaching staff did not recognise this.

Gareth67

First Grade
So he won the best and fairest for the year....and they still wanted to shaft him?

Wow, that makes sense mate.

Must have had a fallout with the coach or someone who had some say.....weird hey.

ouryears , If memory serves me correct , then that is what occurred . I do know that it all came to a head at the awards night and apparently he left never to return. Sad day for all involved .

ouryears

Bench
I'm concerned about Lomax, Herbert, Field and Kerr. I feel we will lose these players because we don't value them.

We need GOOD coaching staff to manage these players and ensure they progress when ready. Obviously Bird was ready and our coaching staff did not recognise this.
It's hard mate because to keep them they will want first grade spots, but none of them currently are better than what's in front of them.

Perhaps Lomax is.....

But what would you do to keep them?

With Bird, I am happy with what we have vs him.

giboz71

First Grade

Different situation.

We’re currently leading the comp so fair enough the young guys need to bide their time.

When Bird left, it was a season where we finished 11th the previous year and we had such giants as Dane Nielsen, Dylan Farrell, Peter Matau’tia, and Eto Nabuli keeping him out of FG.

Would still have to rank as the most clueless recruiting decision in recent history.

possm

Coach
Different situation.

We’re currently leading the comp so fair enough the young guys need to bide their time.

When Bird left, it was a season where we finished 11th the previous year and we had such giants as Dane Nielsen, Dylan Farrell, Peter Matau’tia, and Eto Nabuli keeping him out of FG.

Would still have to rank as the most clueless recruiting decision in recent history.
Bird was not after big dollars, just an indication he would be considered for first grade. Given the players he had in front of him, and given the confidence he had in himself at the time, it is completely understandable to ask such a thing.

Just imagine if we had Widdop and Bird instead of Widdop and Marshall or Widdop and McCrone in the halves in 2016 and 2017. Of course I prefer to have Hunt over Bird but would rather Bird to Lafai or Bird on the bench for the lock rotation. I have no doubt our squad would be stronger if we singed Bird long term in 2018.

Crush

Coach

I remember people saying they were scared we would lose Milne because he wasn't getting his shot.

Drag Queen

Bench
I agree Jimmy. I realised that I had said mergers and thought about correcting it to Joint Ventures, but I would have had to cough cough before it.
I remember people saying they were scared we would lose Milne because he wasn't getting his shot.
Guess what? Milne has been offered up to 5 NRL contracts. He just has to bide his time in the Mounties. Notice where the Mounties are on the board atm? Where are we?

Crush

Coach
Guess what? Milne has been offered up to 5 NRL contracts. He just has to bide his time in the Mounties. Notice where the Mounties are on the board atm? Where are we?
Hahahahaha you crack me up!
Milne is killing it!