What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Experience​

South Sydney Rabbitohs

• South Sydney Rabbitohs​

16 years
    • General Manager of Football​

2016 - Jul 2020 4 years
      Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    • Chief Executive Officer​

Aug 2004 - Dec 2015 11 years 5 months
  • National Rugby League Graphic

Head of Game Strategy and Development​

National Rugby League

Mar 2015 - 2016 1year
  • Penrith Panthers Graphic

Chief Executive Officer​

Penrith Panthers

Jan 2002 - Aug 2004 2 years 8 months
    Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
  • Hull FC Graphic

Chief Executive Officer and Shareholder​

Hull FC

Jan 1999 - Dec 2001 3 years
    Hull, England, United Kingdom

Tbh if he’s being headhunted, you’d probably benefit by asking him his views about the next coach and the reasons why.

He’d certainly have a better idea than anyone on your board or Webby.

He could give my club a few tips too.

He knows how to build up clubs and how to deal with people. Thread the needle.

Even Webby will be nervous because Shane will stand up against him if need be.

I’m still worried about your recruitment. Time is ticking. Every day, player agents are swearing into phones.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
If true that he wants a say in how things are run and wants more control then to me that’s a great sign. I don’t begrudge him the 5 years either considering what he’s got to work with.
It’s interesting how apart from this forum, I’ve heard absolutely nothing in regards to Des being approached by the club. If he was a chance surely we would have heard about it by now and there wouldn’t be so much interest in Ryles. Get it done now so we can at least have something to look forward to and build this great club up to where it should be once more!
Did you know Bennett was coming to the Dragons before it was announced especially when the media had him done and dusted at the Roosters. He might of pulles out of that deal in the 11th hour but he was not done and dusted.
Media only know what they are drip fed by the paid insiders or what their BOD or CEO contacts tells them when they ring up, not all of it ends up true

TheRev

First Grade
Even Webby will be nervous because Shane will stand up against him if need be.
This is why I'm nervous that the rumour has no substance.. It would be the first move our board has made, that puts the clubs needs in front of their own.. It would be an indication the new board members are making a difference.. But at this point it's nothing but a hopeful rumour..

Last edited:
This is why I'm nervous that the rumour has no substance.. It would be the first move our board has made to the put the clubs needs in front of their own.. It would be an indication the new board members are making a difference.. But at this point it's nothing but a hopeful rumour..

Yep.

The west tigers board appointed matey mates to key positions who have been proven to be basically incompetent.

And worse, it’s a five year tenure.

As a consequence I completely shut down communications with board members I was having and lots of guys on the forum haven’t renewed memberships.

They lie and mislead us at almost every opportunity in the name of self aggrandising arrogance. They are selfish, greedy and generally bad people.

Benji Marshall is a tosser of the highest order. Most of us wish he’d go back to Souths and tell everyone there how great he is.

He’s even being sponsored by a mate.

We support the players having a go, but our contempt for the club management and their cronies is unrivalled.

Even to the point where some of us wt fans want the team to lose as a means of pressuring management. A bridge too far for me, but I don’t speak against them.

I am glad that change is in the wind at sgi.

I think it gives us wt fans hope.

Last edited:

matPORTS

Juniors
When Wayne Bennett became head coach (seems oh so long ago now), among the first things he did:

1. Paul McGregor - no longer required on the football team staff
2. Jason Ryles - playing services no longer required (we're bringing in Mick Weyman, Nev Costigan and Jeremy Smith)

...and the rest is history.

Fast forward:

1. Failed coaching stint with McGregor at the helm (almost seven wasted years)
2. On the verge of making Jason Ryles our head coach

Do we ever learn?

If we do bring in Ryles - and it turns out to be a monumental failure (can only hedge our bets in this direction given our recent history), I'm not going to sit here and lay blame on the coach potentially being out of his depth. This is all on the board and the CEO.

Unless we have some very astute signings coming our way for 2024/2025 - a rookie coach is doomed to failure. This is reality. I can see a host of players also heading for the door at the end of this season as well, so this will be even more important.

since77

Juniors
When Wayne Bennett became head coach (seems oh so long ago now), among the first things he did:

1. Paul McGregor - no longer required on the football team staff
2. Jason Ryles - playing services no longer required (we're bringing in Mick Weyman, Nev Costigan and Jeremy Smith)

...and the rest is history.

Fast forward:

1. Failed coaching stint with McGregor at the helm (almost seven wasted years)
2. On the verge of making Jason Ryles our head coach

Do we ever learn?

If we do bring in Ryles - and it turns out to be a monumental failure (can only hedge our bets in this direction given our recent history), I'm not going to sit here and lay blame on the coach potentially being out of his depth. This is all on the board and the CEO.

Unless we have some very astute signings coming our way for 2024/2025 - a rookie coach is doomed to failure. This is reality. I can see a host of players also heading for the door at the end of this season as well, so this will be even more important.
My other concern with Ryles is do the players buy in to a rookie coach’s plan or respect him?
With someone like Hasler or Flanagan I would assume there’s going to be an automatic respect and buy in for a premiership winning coach’s plan to restore the team to being competitive. That was automatic with Bennett. Hunt and any of his clique are less likely to have a cry (assuming we care about that) if they know that the new coach is someone who is proven to know what he’s doing whereas Ryles is a complete unknown at this stage.

I understand that you have about 7 players who haven’t been re-signed for next year.

But if you go into the market to replace them without the future coaches blessing, it’s a further impediment.

There’s not a coach in the nrl who doesn’t want a big say in these critical decisions.

I would prefer an experienced coach as well but if Ryles can present with some solid roster additions and a decent plan, I’d be interested.

But if he wants to skank the club or push his claims higher than is appropriate or deserved, no loss if he’s clueless.

But time is your enemy.

possm

Coach
I understand that you have about 7 players who haven’t been re-signed for next year.

But if you go into the market to replace them without the future coaches blessing, it’s a further impediment.

There’s not a coach in the nrl who doesn’t want a big say in these critical decisions.

I would prefer an experienced coach as well but if Ryles can present with some solid roster additions and a decent plan, I’d be interested.

But if he wants to skank the club or push his claims higher than is appropriate or deserved, no loss if he’s clueless.

But time is your enemy.
Yes, and that is why the decision on our head coach should have been made in November 2022 In that way the new coach would have had a major say in the formation of our top 30 squad and the pre-season preparations for season 2023. Maybe we would have even had a successful bid on some marquee players.

Yes, and that is why the decision on our head coach should have been made in November 2022 In that way the new coach would have had a major say in the formation of our top 30 squad and the pre-season preparations for season 2023. Maybe we would have even had a successful bid on some marquee players.

Maybe even earlier than that tbh.

Even a quiet handshake carpark deal to enable the next coach to be planning quietly this year while Hook has his final year.

Or better still, by all means bring Hook into the loop and have them working quietly together.

But telling Hook he’s gone at the start of the season, you’re virtually telling any good coach they can name their price, period of tenure but they have to pick up scraps re recruitment. It was also disrespectful to Hook in a way. Remember when he joined he just said he’d do his best. I think he’s tried, but the sgi vortex is a tough beast to take. Especially with the distractions he faced. The team isn’t playing too badly either. It’s a bit rough, but they are in the game. I think the de-maryfication everyone was worried about has been successfully achieved.

I’m certain there has been marquee or prospects sign for other clubs since last September that you might have landed.

Instead you’ve been in limbo land.

Hook could have gone early in protest, but once again, the new coach could start or a coach working with new guy to blood and recruit.

A lot of fringe or ex coaches wouldn’t mind coaching nrl for a year or less. It pays well, not many jobs and an outside chance of going well.

A good year with an sgi transition side might attract interest from another nrl club as head coach.

Like me, Jason Demetriou was singing the praises of Johnny Morris. Hannay and Noddy would have a go. Flannos star is falling the longer he’s out. He might come back.

It’s easier to get a gig in the game if you have recent top flight experience. Clubs would understand the burden of your transition year.

Or your interim coach stay on to help new coach.

There’s a lot of ex nrl coaches assisting. It’s not a good idea to be too proud. There’s not many jobs about!

If I was a fringe coach, I’d have to back myself to give it a go. It would be more exciting than getting yelled at by Bellamy or doing stats for Adam OBrien.

But the speech over, you are where you are and the cards have been dealt. Lots we don’t know, so onwards and upwards.

No doubt in my mind, some good signings are coming.

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
We can’t say in all this saga there aren’t any decent coaches available…. The choice is clear… experienced premiership winning coaches or untested rookie coaches…. Good candidates available for both options
What decent coach would want to join our sorry outfit? We can only attract the indecent ones. The Board don't want to pay more than necessary, so this suits them down to the ground.

What decent coach would want to join our sorry outfit? We can only attract the indecent ones. The Board don't want to pay more than necessary, so this suits them down to the ground.

I wouldn’t mind finding out who else was on the warriors coaching hit list. They seem to have chosen pretty well, suggesting sound judgment.

Someone over there knows what they are doing.

That’s a bit of a shocking call for the warriors, they are still rocks and diamonds but I think they’ve gone ok so far this year with their roster.

Last edited:

Divine

Bench

“Cheika emerges as shock Dragons coaching contender…”​

Just now found this in the Tele
Can anyone unlock it?

Divine

Bench
Fair enough . So he’s out. We need the Steve Bradbury of coaches. Actually I always had a lot of time for Ralphie Valladares of the LA TBirds…now there was a coach!