What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
I’m pretty pleased to hear of the development.

At the very least it puts the other candidates on notice they have some competition and Ryles and co shouldn’t be too precious and mighty about their prospective terms and conditions.

If I was the club I’d spread the additional rumour that he wants to coach for unders as well on a 3 year deal.

When it comes to messages through a third party, anything goes, if the club is caught, it can simply say there was a misunderstanding.

The club has been too much of a pussy in the past. It has to get a bit stealthy and become the hunter instead of the prey.

Get the clubs spin doctors to work quietly on coaches and their agents instead of the usual fans and members.

Gotta resort to black ops sometimes in these matters. That extra $100 or $200k saved or whatever, you can put in a free or subsidised jersey program for struggling kids.

Or a free sgi show bag for fans who go to the trouble and expense of attending games. Those mad guys the army or whatever they are called.
Given me plenty of grief over the years lol. A bit of fun. Give them odd free meal or fuel voucher.

Last edited:
Ryles and co might have to reassess their demands for a 5 year term, 20 full time staff and a dedicated game day hot dog cook.

It’s a very big deal to get a full time coaching gig in the NRL. It’s a good job with a club ready to launch into good fortune.

And every time the roosters get mounted, his claims on the position get worse.

I’d give him a deadline of 24 hours on club terms. 3 years on a bit extras and club option 4 and 5.

No response amounts to a rejection and the club moves on.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I wouldn’t mind finding out who else was on the warriors coaching hit list. They seem to have chosen pretty well, suggesting sound judgment.

Someone over there knows what they are doing.

That’s a bit of a shocking call for the warriors, they are still rocks and diamonds but I think they’ve gone ok so far this year with their roster.
I would not be carrying on to much about Webster ATM. He may turn out to be a real good one, operative word being "may". In fact i hope he does as seems like a good bloke and interviews and speaks well
Hook had us in a similar or better position in his 1st year at the same time
So many people tend to forgot and follow the medias tunnel vision jumping on players / coaches bandwagon after a few good wins
All it takes is a few losses in a row and its polar opposites

dannyt

Coach
Yep.

The west tigers board appointed matey mates to key positions who have been proven to be basically incompetent.

And worse, it’s a five year tenure.

As a consequence I completely shut down communications with board members I was having and lots of guys on the forum haven’t renewed memberships.

They lie and mislead us at almost every opportunity in the name of self aggrandising arrogance. They are selfish, greedy and generally bad people.

Benji Marshall is a tosser of the highest order. Most of us wish he’d go back to Souths and tell everyone there how great he is.

He’s even being sponsored by a mate.

We support the players having a go, but our contempt for the club management and their cronies is unrivalled.

Even to the point where some of us wt fans want the team to lose as a means of pressuring management. A bridge too far for me, but I don’t speak against them.

I am glad that change is in the wind at sgi.

I think it gives us wt fans hope.
The tale for both teams is almost the same.

The tale for both teams is almost the same.

I agree.

But on the balance, the ledger of goodness is tipped in your favour.

We are totally done for over the next four and a half years whereas you have a chance.

We bet the farm on ciraldo without shoring him up first. That resulted in humiliation and panic.

Recieved 16 applications for head coach and the person in charge of the process then took the job for his own. Then he set about installing his mate as head coach afterwards for 3 years who doesn't have any qualifications.

Oh hang on, he danced semi nude on Tv trying to be cool. He’s a man child, the Iq of tyre cap.

It’s little wonder we are coming last because we have appointed on mateship and not merit.

As a club we have let down fans, members, sponsors and all stakeholders to give buddies highly paid jobs who are wholly incompetent.

We can’t sack our board, they are unaccountable and they keep promising stuff they can’t deliver. Everyone knows they are spinning and lying. We don’t even listen to them anymore.

Our club management is a disgrace and we are deeply deeply ashamed of them.

Perth and privatisation looks like paradise to us. Bring Madge back even. At least he has integrity.

The jersey gathers dust in the wardrobe.

IMG_6775.jpeg

I don’t want rocks thrown at me by wearing it out.

Anyway, sorry for venting I will return to sgi issues which I’m genuinely interested in.

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
I agree.

But on the balance, the ledger of goodness is tipped in your favour.

We are totally done for over the next four and a half years whereas you have a chance.

We bet the farm on ciraldo without shoring him up first. That resulted in humiliation and panic.

Recieved 16 applications for head coach and the person in charge of the process then took the job for his own. Then he set about installing his mate as head coach afterwards for 3 years who doesn't have any qualifications.

Oh hang on, he danced semi nude on Tv trying to be cool. He’s a man child, the Iq of tyre cap.

It’s little wonder we are coming last because we have appointed on mateship and not merit.

As a club we have let down fans, members, sponsors and all stakeholders to give buddies highly paid jobs who are wholly incompetent.

We can’t sack our board, they are unaccountable and they keep promising stuff they can’t deliver. Everyone knows they are spinning and lying. We don’t even listen to them anymore.

Our club management is a disgrace and we are deeply deeply ashamed of them.

Perth and privatisation looks like paradise to us. Bring Madge back even. At least he has integrity.

The jersey gathers dust in the wardrobe.

View attachment 74184

I don’t want rocks thrown at me by wearing it out.

Anyway, sorry for venting I will return to sgi issues which I’m genuinely interested in.
Holy crap! the level of nepotism appears worse than us.

Holy crap! the level of nepotism appears worse than us.

Well one begins to appreciate the benefits of due process.

There shouldn’t be any other criteria except merit.

The best coach, for the best price and on the best possible terms with insurance for the club if he fails.

No “ buying back the farm” matey spin inducing “club bar stool” drunken arguments or continuation of a quarrel that started back in 1978 or whatever and where the belligerents are both wrong because time has dimmed the memory.

I’d prefer a fresh outsider for you, but not any cost.

Checks could transition to league pretty well, but the game has its nuances and challenges the Union has never understood. It’s far and away more brutal and unforgiving, more life or death. Checks has a steep learning curve. There’s no place to hide in our game.

Last edited:
Just did some stats, seems the average number of wins for all nrl current coaches percentage wise is 53.059.

That includes long careers at different clubs and short careers for newbies.

Hook 52.5%
Dessie: 56.3%
Flanagan: 55%
Morris 47%
Mary 46%

Per wins all round, Holbrook is the worst performing of all coaches in the nrl at 37% but iced the esl on 80% so he’s all up 62%.

Adam O’Brien, 41% but he’s jagged into a few elimination finals a couple of years ago.

Fitz is killing it as a coach, some bastard figure of 68% full credit to him, but he’s still a rookie and inherited a good squad. Wait and see.

A lot of factors have to be taken into account such as strength of squad, injuries and numerous other variables. Flanners isn’t a great coach on the record….but he got the prize!

That said, looking at the 2022 season, to get into the finals, you needed 14 wins of 24 games or about a 58% win ratio in that particular year.

Stats don’t tell the story properly, but I thought some might be interested.

They tell us it’s a complicated business.

Sources: wiki wand and Wikipedia.

Ps: Des is very close to the mark.

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
Yes, twinkletoes doing something on the rebound can have catastrophic consequences. I feel in a way that Hook was a rebound signing with the problem being that there were not too many good choices to pick from and those that were wanted didn't want to coach us so, Hook was it.

Ryles waiting to see what Bellamy will do also wouldn't be terrific for us. I want someone who genuinely wants to coach us as their first choice and prepared to really work hard to get us back up there. No more pussy footing around. We can't have this drama happening again and again and again, surely?

shiloh dc

Juniors
Apparently Michael Cheika has thrown his hat in the ring to coach the Dragons. He is contracted to coach the Pumas for the Rugby World Cup in Sept but would be available in 2024. He would have access to plenty of good rugby backs? We could do with another Michael O'Connor. He is a good man manager and with the help of knowledgeable assistant coaches - might be the best coaching option to shake things up at the Dragons.

Parko1310

Juniors
Apparently Michael Cheika has thrown his hat in the ring to coach the Dragons. He is contracted to coach the Pumas for the Rugby World Cup in Sept but would be available in 2024. He would have access to plenty of good rugby backs? We could do with another Michael O'Connor. He is a good man manager and with the help of knowledgeable assistant coaches - might be the best coaching option to shake things up at the Dragons.
Board have already swiftly rejected it without taking it into any consideration whatsoever.

I think there’s a few of these coaching aspirants blokes “phoning it in”

The club has to wait for Bellamy to finish reading his weekend paper or sit around for a year with an interim (or another year of Hook ) waiting for checks to get his release from elsewhere.

In the meantime, the rest of the nrl clubs are in a frenzy for available marquee or sub marquee that your next coach would like to have.

But old sgi is waiting for Bellamy’s wife to decide where she wants to live next year.

I’m in the camp that says the club has to shirt front a few of these candidates and deadline them.

Show some pride in the joint.

If I tell my boss that I will “ get around to coming in when I feel like it” that would be stretching the friendship!

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
A nice article in Sporting News titled " NRL Round 11: What we liked and disliked from every game".

Here's the interesting bit. It looks like Griffin really has no friends in the media.

What we disliked: The handling of Jayden Sullivan​

There was so much to dislike about the performance of St George Illawarra on Saturday night, but the way that head coach Anthony Griffin used young playmaker Jayden Sullivan was borderline criminal.

After starring off the bench in a narrow loss at Magic Round, the local junior was promoted to the starting side at halfback, with Ben Hunt shifting to hooker in his 300th appearance.

But after being controversially sin-binned in the 20th minute and the Dragons leaking three tries in his absence, Sullivan never returned to the field.

Instead, the under-fire Griffin opted to move Hunt back to halfback and push Moses Mbye to hooker for the final 50 minutes of the clash. The experienced utility has proven time and time again this season that his service from dummy-half is sub-par, and the Red V have looked far better with Sullivan on the field.

The coach attempted to explain his decision in the post-game press conference, but it will likely fall on deaf ears as far as Dragons fans are concerned.

The defensive woes and simple errors are a major concern for St George moving forward, but the treatment of one of their brightest young stars - not just tonight, but all season - is horrendous coaching.

justadragon

Bench
Crazy - surely the BOD should have an interview and find out what a person like Cheika can bring to the table.
Yep, I'm going to stick my neck out here, I agree with the Board on this one, we really need someone who is experienced in the RL world. I think the 2 codes operate in a vastly different way and we do have serious issues right across the club. Maybe if we nailed down Richo and Brownie to help him, maybe, but at this point in time its a no from me.

Latest posts