What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

hewi

Bench
Griffin is the walking dead one can only Hope tomorrow the board have the brains (it would be a first) to bury him finally and select a new coach ASAP so he can decide who stays and who goes plus who to prioritise as new signings. It’s literally make or break time , get this wrong there will be no supporters remaining.

Griffin is the walking dead one can only Hope tomorrow the board have the brains (it would be a first) to bury him finally and select a new coach ASAP so he can decide who stays and who goes plus who to prioritise as new signings. It’s literally make or break time , get this wrong there will be no supporters remaining.
I will remain, due to as my signiture states, my heart beats Red V . Been supporting them since boarding school, over 50 years now. Seen the best of our glory years and the worst, selling our soul in 1999, while the past 13 years have been no picnic either. So I pray that a new coach, a Board all on the same page, one or three marquee players and correct nurturing of our best juniors will take us back to the good old days.

Last edited:

st.phil

Bench
I think the "rookie coach" trope is over blown in the context of 2023 - if we have a strong back office and football department (Richo Browny mentioned??), NRL experience is not as important as someone who is a good communicator, has vision, can work with others and instil belief and pride in the playing group. I don't know if that is Ryles or Hornby - I'm pretty certain from his audition in 2020 that it ain't Dean Young. Look at Webster at the Warriors - he has provided precisely what we need and had no hype around him and no runs on the NRL board.

Dragon David

First Grade

With Bellamy stating that he will be the Storm's coach in 2024, isn't it Ryles' last year at the Roosters as well and so the timing to get Ryles at the Storm in November 2024 after his commitments with the Roosters has ended will be good timing for him to be Bellamy's replacement in 2025? Simple decision unless of course Ryles cannot wait that long and we offer big bucks and 5 years which is about the length of time he would need to win a premiership for us. My speculation is as good as the journos. That is just say anything to get attention.

Last edited:
NRL experience is not as important as someone who is a good communicator, has vision, can work with others and instil belief and pride in the playing group.
Spot on. I think that is what Cheika was trying to relay in his interview with Fox. But our nongs wont buy it, even tho he has coached our national yawnion side. Actually that is probably the major speed bump, as no loved lost between our two sports.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Typical of our Board dismissing a man who has coached at national level for two that have never head coached at any level. What happened to the other candidates, Hasler and Flanagan, not a word that they knocked us back.
Not sure what to make of rejecting Cheika as a possible coaching candidate. Best case scenario is they already have an exemplary coach locked in, and there is no need to look any further. Worst case is the Board and Management have no idea what they're doing, or know who Cheika is, or do know who he is but won't consider him because they didn't think of him themselves.

st.phil

Bench
I still can't get the Ryles was a prop out of my mind, every time I have heard him in interviews he never sounded too bright to me - leaning towards Hornby on gut feel provided we have a re-stocked footy dept. Flanno is a no go for mine, too much baggage and don't like the media cross over and Des looks like he's in the too hard basket (although I think he'd get us back to finals quickest of all candidates)

possm

Coach
I think the "rookie coach" trope is over blown in the context of 2023 - if we have a strong back office and football department (Richo Browny mentioned??), NRL experience is not as important as someone who is a good communicator, has vision, can work with others and instil belief and pride in the playing group. I don't know if that is Ryles or Hornby - I'm pretty certain from his audition in 2020 that it ain't Dean Young. Look at Webster at the Warriors - he has provided precisely what we need and had no hype around him and no runs on the NRL board.
Well, we don't have a strong BOD or football department or even a strong CEO. Do a rookie should be out of the question.

Carrera28

Juniors
I still can't get the Ryles was a prop out of my mind, every time I have heard him in interviews he never sounded too bright to me - leaning towards Hornby on gut feel provided we have a re-stocked footy dept. Flanno is a no go for mine, too much baggage and don't like the media cross over and Des looks like he's in the too hard basket (although I think he'd get us back to finals quickest of all candidates)
Tim Sheens was a Prop and won 4 premierships.

I agree that I don't want Flannagan anywhere near the club as he damaged young player's careers with either willful negligence or blatant cheating and he encouraged a culture of covering up. That is hardly creating a culture of accountability.

I think Des Hasler would get the team playing well but I am not sure that Des has the fundamental interest in addressing the long term cultural issues at the club. No slight on Des but at this stage of his career I think he would deliver 3-5 years of top 6 performance, no premierships and when he retired we would be back where we started. Unless Des was made explicitly accountable for mentoring future coaches and committed to a long term deal as director of football his appointment would paper over the cracks and merely move the hard decisions that need to be made now regarding culture and off field structure into 3 or 4 years time.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench

With Bellamy stating that he will be the Storm's coach in 2024, isn't it Ryles' last year at the Roosters as well and so the timing to get Ryles at the Storm in November 2024 after his commitments with the Roosters has ended will be good timing for him to be Bellamy's replacement in 2025. Simple decision unless of course Ryles cannot wait that long and we offer big bucks and 5 years which is about the length of time he would need to win a premiership for us. My speculation is as good as the journos. That is just say anything to get attention.
I think Slater is the fly in the ointment at Melbourne now as well Dave, He could be looking at what is available now compared to maybe available at end of 2024.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hopefully this is the week the cancer is removed from the club. What a disgrace of a man with his treatment of poor Sullivan. I like how the powerbrokers are sticking up for the young kid and deeply concerned if all reports are correct.

1st thing the coach is to do is chat to these young kids who are probably damaged mentally from this absolute moron of a man. It was 6-6 when Sulli got sinbinned which he should not have mind you. What a pathetic excuse. I have never seen a kid treated so poorly as Bud by a coach. I really feel for this kid as he cannot be in a good state after what happened.