What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Phantom V

Juniors
I think we've got to the stage that Ryles is the wanted man.

It's now up to him to accept or decline.

5yrs is ok as long as there are parameters around say the final 2yrs.
If true that he wants a say in how things are run and wants more control then to me that’s a great sign. I don’t begrudge him the 5 years either considering what he’s got to work with.
It’s interesting how apart from this forum, I’ve heard absolutely nothing in regards to Des being approached by the club. If he was a chance surely we would have heard about it by now and there wouldn’t be so much interest in Ryles. Get it done now so we can at least have something to look forward to and build this great club up to where it should be once more!

TheRev

First Grade
It will be the same role but reporting to hopefully Richo so he can learn how do to do the role properly.. 🤑 and then take over again when Richo sets it all up
Gus mentioned that Haran was a 'good guy' and could do with learning from someone like Richo.. maybe he wasnt just speaking speculatively..

The question is.. can Haran actually build relationships, and keep them through negotiations etc.. like he's had more than a fair crack at it for 11yrs.. anyway.. perhaps they will figure this out in years to come.. if were still getting Richo over the top, its all good..

TheRev

First Grade
I dont know who tbh has gotten rid of the deadwood, I guess we got rid of some of it.. but Hook seems to be a deadwood magnet really.. I dont know how true it is.. but they say that Hook was quite keen on re-signing Norman, 18mths after we wanted him gone, I have no doubt that he wanted AM to play on, and would re-sign MBye in a heartbeat.. Woods I dont think was his call either.. I dont think he actually has a great eye for talent at all.. or which body type suits a position, I think hes just really out of his depth in the modern game.

Graham was talking about Flanno today, he mentioned that Flanno gives you a lot of confidence.. and once your in with him, ur mates for life type thing.. he will keep picking you through a rough spot.. reminded me a lot of Griffin.. and there is a lot to be said about that relationship.. but you also have to have separation.. you cant pick your mates over results and ignore whats happening or not happening on the footy field.

Mojo

Bench
I dont know who tbh has gotten rid of the deadwood, I guess we got rid of some of it.. but Hook seems to be a deadwood magnet really.. I dont know how true it is.. but they say that Hook was quite keen on re-signing Norman, 18mths after we wanted him gone, I have no doubt that he wanted AM to play on, and would re-sign MBye in a heartbeat.. Woods I dont think was his call either.. I dont think he actually has a great eye for talent at all.. or which body type suits a position, I think hes just really out of his depth in the modern game.

Graham was talking about Flanno today, he mentioned that Flanno gives you a lot of confidence.. and once your in with him, ur mates for life type thing.. he will keep picking you through a rough spot.. reminded me a lot of Griffin.. and there is a lot to be said about that relationship.. but you also have to have separation.. you cant pick your mates over results and ignore whats happening or not happening on the footy field.
I think Hook's been very lucky in his coaching career and it's now become very obvious.

possm

Coach
I’d rather say to Ryles, we will give you a bit overs for 2.5 or 3.5 years instead of being stuck with him for 5 years and it turns out he’s a dud.

No one knows, so take the insurance out.

I think it’s a respect issue.

Could save you a lot of money and embarrassment.

This is part of building the dna again. It’s got to be a privilege to coach sgi. Sacrifices must be made.
If Doust as CEO knocked back Bennett's request for a 5 year deal at 750k pa, then I'm very sure he won't go for a 5 tear deak fir Ryles.

If Doust as CEO knocked back Bennett's request for a 5 year deal at 750k pa, then I'm very sure he won't go for a 5 tear deak fir Ryles.

Ryles has a choice, he can take control of a fair side, with some cash to spend and where the ambition is to build steadily. So long as the side is on the march, slowly or quickly, he will be ok.

Or he can wait it out and try to be a new Bellamy with Bellamy as a footy gm probably lying all over him with his bad temper.

My bet is the storm won’t be offering him 5 years.

The shoes are way too big to fill at the Storm.

He’s better being part of a revival, make his own history. As Mary would say “ put his own footprints” all over the club.

He can’t be taken seriously otherwise. The next storm coach will always be an off-cut.

Bellamy is the storm. Too dominant a figure, he’s been there longer than all the execs and officials. Ryles will be having to labour in his shadow.

Even ciraldo is considered Gus’s gimp. All those marquee and the “new panthers” remain wobbly, suspect and unconvincing.

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
I see that whomever is the lucky or unlucky coach to take the Dragons through the competition from 2024, unless he has the cattle to make a difference to the way the Dragons have performed in the past 2-3 years under Hook, his success rate could possibly be consistent with the current and the previous coach. Hook has had a task from the get go to rebuild the Dragons and at the same time straighten out the salary cap. His choice in the sort of players he could sign up at prices to fit in with the available cap figure at the time would have been a "beggars can't be choosers" situation.

At the time of Hook going to the market to sign up replacement players for others who were also rejects or hand me downs from other clubs, any decent players either were too costly or didn't want a bar of the Dragons, so the Dragons end up with who they have now. Overall, while results over the past 2 years and during these earlier 9 rounds have not got us to the top 8 (and of course very likely to miss out this year), I could say that just with a little luck and better management we might have made 8th position in 2022 in my opinion and that is with the sort of cattle we had then and of course having Hook to get that extra bit out of the players which he couldn't.

So I agree with you Silverdale, we do need an improved roster of players and hopefully the new coach will be able to ween out who to keep, who to turf out and who to sign and fit within the salary cap. If not, we will continue to have a disappointing few seasons ahead.
Just look at Ciraldo at the Bulldogs- hailed as the best young Coach - having a nightmare! I don’t like rookie coaches I like the Haslers of the world - who know how to get results in short periods of time .. our roster is ok not a right off - just badly coached ..RYLES definitely not the answer

Dragon David

First Grade
Isn't Ryles the current defensive coach at the Roosters? He is not doing much with the defence of the players tonight - 24 nil against the Panthers.

The Roosters attack hasn't been the best for a while too.

Out of the rookies that have been made head coaches, Andrew Webster of the Warriors is doing a great job. Ciraldo has had quite a few of the better players out injured so things might be improved for him when players like Kikau and Addo- Carr return.

Ryles will need to do miraculous things to get us anywhere near top 8 on a yearly basis methinks.

Just look at Ciraldo at the Bulldogs- hailed as the best young Coach - having a nightmare! I don’t like rookie coaches I like the Haslers of the world - who know how to get results in short periods of time .. our roster is ok not a right off - just badly coached ..RYLES definitely not the answer

I don’t know if Ryles isnt the answer, but I’d prefer a ready made veteran coach.

Hook was a veteran but started the role with a decaying roster.

The club tells him he would have to reapply and therefore not too keen on following his recruitment suggestions. So recruitment is stunted in terms of the coaches plans.

Bellamy got this beautiful 20 year roll on and I can’t remember him in trouble. He can look well down the track.. Hook gets a few days. Long term preparation barely exists.

I guess the take away is that as to the appointment of the next coach…the sooner the better.

You don’t want to take 9 or 10 rounds in 2024 to uncover dodgy combinations like us.

People might not be eager to pay overs for a coach, but a single game costs millions to put on

The sgi coaching saga is pretty interesting I think. So much at stake.

I like Hook, he’s well regarded, but if he’s not trusted by club officials, it’s impossible.

Last edited:
Shane was at the sharks then helped deliver the premiership to Penrith before moving on to Souths and helping deliver one there

He had a spell working for the NRL and as a player agent.

For awhile he was also recruiting for Souths as well with mixed success. Apparently he identified Damien Cook at the dogs when he was a young fringie.

He is up on the corporate nonsense but twists it to suit the game. Doesn’t bore it into people like Mary and BJ.

He’s a bit unusual because he usually supports wayward players and got away with denying any knowledge of the alleged Burgess drug ingestion during his career.

My smug buddies report that he has the odd game of golf with his old mates at Penrith from 20 years ago. He keeps good friendships.

Is not quite a roosters fan. Happy to punch on with them.

He can be a tough boss if you are shirking or failing. He sacked John Lang at Souths, one of his best friends. Club first.

Coffs dragon

Bench

Experience​

South Sydney Rabbitohs

• South Sydney Rabbitohs​

16 years
    • General Manager of Football​

2016 - Jul 2020 4 years
      Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    • Chief Executive Officer​

Aug 2004 - Dec 2015 11 years 5 months
      Sydney, New South Wales, Australia