What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

AJB1102

First Grade
Hope we get Matt Scott on that $10 million 3 year deal. I don't see how we can lose with his back problems.

If ya can convince the NRL and the insurer that its a new back problem that forces him to retire and not anything to do with his pre-existing back problems it sounds like a goer.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Retirement due to medical reasons...

So is this the new rort at this point? Sign up nearly-retired rep or ex-rep players to long-ass, back-ended deals and then "retire them medically"? Honestly think the NRL should be letting the insurance companies make the call on this one before granting it off the cap, regardless of how lengthy the process.

Hope we get Matt Scott on that $10 million 3 year deal. I don't see how we can lose with his back problems.

I see your point.

But these 2 blokes have never laced up a boot for another club, so your theory of buying players for the intent of never seeing out their contract is completely redundant here.

And as I said, I could care less if the contract money is paid by the club, it just should not count towardd the cap.

Tell me how Manly are rorting a system with 2 players who have played for the club their entire careers?

soc123_au

Staff member
I see your point.

But these 2 blokes have never laced up a boot for another club, so your theory of buying players for the intent of never seeing out their contract is completely redundant here.

And as I said, I could care less if the contract money is paid by the club, it just should not count towardd the cap.

Tell me how Manly are rorting a system with 2 players who have played for the club their entire careers?
I hate Manly as passionately as anyone, but it is hard to argue with this. The decisions the NRL make boggle the mind. Watmong off the cap, Matai & Snake no. Barba cant train with the Sharks, Foran no problem, Falou cant sign with Parra, Le Gaz & SBW welcome back. The list goes on and on.

I'm not sure if the NRL have provisions in the cap, or something similar, but like American sports where players are put on short term or long term injury lists, which allows clubs to pay for other players to come in to cover.

Seriously...say a club loses a key play in Rd 1 and they will be out 20 weeks, why should a club not be able to write off that player for the season, and let them rehab and not be able to still pay them, but negotiate a deal whereby they can put a player on to their roster - be it a junior, a secondary player or even organise a transfer in and/or loan player from another club?

FFS, injuries are part of the game but I hate seeing teams lose a key player and not be competitive.

And if a club rules a player out for the season at any time, then they can't come back to play but still will get paid. Can't double dip.

POPEYE

Coach
I see your point.

Can we front up in front of NRL headquarters with placards requesting discounts in the salary cap for one club players . . . maybe NRL clubs that create could be constituted as official Third Parties because they're in the manufacturing business

Jokes aside, clubs should be advantaged by the quality of players they create, not by the players they use

Tiger5150

Bench
I see your point.

for arguments sake, they sign a player for $300k more than the other offers, for one year more or backload the hell out of it.....then oooops he has a bad back, player still gets paid, not counted on the cap.

Not saying thats what happened but an easy rort.

myrrh ken

First Grade
for arguments sake, they sign a player for $300k more than the other offers, for one year more or backload the hell out of it.....then oooops he has a bad back, player still gets paid, not counted on the cap.

EDIT easy fix too. Only discount the proportionate per year figure of a contract.

Ie if its $2mill contract over 4 years, but its backloaded so that the last year is $1 mill. Then only deduct $500K off the cap.

Last edited:
One thing about the Stewart and Matai issue that people should bear in mind, the person who decides whether the claim for medical retirement is granted or not is the NRL's Chief Medical Officer. Currently that is Dr Paul Bloomfield. One of his prior jobs was being the club Doctor for none other than the Manly (and the Northern Eagles for that matter) from 2000 till 2012.

Now according to Michael Chammas in an article in today's Sydney Morning Herald, part of the problem with Stewart's claim is that Manly have not bee able to demonstrate exactly when the injury occurred to Stewart. Apparently Manly were unable to convince Bloomfield that the knee injury was not pre-existing.

Nice Beaver

First Grade

Hasn"t the NRL stopped back ended contracts?

And it sounds good in theory, but if I was running a club I would not be tying up a big portion of my salary cap on the hope that, a) the NRL would allow the player to be medically retired and b) that the player actually did get injured 2 years down the track.

Think you are clutching for a conspiracy theory where there really isn't one.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Manly shouldn't have signed broken down players on multiple year contracts. It really is that simple. If a player has injuries, why on earth are you giving them 3-4 year deals!

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Manly shouldn't have signed broken down players on multiple year contracts. It really is that simple. If a player has injuries, why on earth are you giving them 3-4 year deals!

Stewart signed a 1 year extension in 2015. Cool story though.

Matai is in the last year of a 3 year deal so signed it when he was 29 at the time.

If they are arguing his injury is new, then why the hell would you not sign a 29 year old to 3 years when the injury incurred happened subsequent?

Shaun Johnson seems to get injured alot. Should the Warriors sign him to 1 year deals???

justdave

Juniors

I'm not sure why. Hang on, I ask Andrew Gee how the system works.

Tiger5150

Bench
Hasn"t the NRL stopped back ended contracts?

And it sounds good in theory, but if I was running a club I would not be tying up a big portion of my salary cap on the hope that, a) the NRL would allow the player to be medically retired and b) that the player actually did get injured 2 years down the track.

Think you are clutching for a conspiracy theory where there really isn't one.

Im pretty sure there isnt a conspiracy theory with this as there is no evidence that Manly are that clever (clearly my Tigers arent either) but its a clear possiblility that the NRL needs to rule out. TBH I cant see how the NRL can allow it under their rules (cant be a pre-existing injury) as Matai has clutched at his next seemingly for every game for the whole of his career and Stewart seems to have always had dodgy knees, coupled with the old Manly doc making the decision, it would seem dodgy if they did let it happen.

justdave

Juniors
Im pretty sure there isnt a conspiracy theory with this as there is no evidence that Manly are that clever (clearly my Tigers arent either) but its a clear possiblility that the NRL needs to rule out. TBH I cant see how the NRL can allow it under their rules (cant be a pre-existing injury) as Matai has clutched at his next seemingly for every game for the whole of his career and Stewart seems to have always had dodgy knees, coupled with the old Manly doc making the decision, it would seem dodgy if they did let it happen.

Anthony Watmough and the Eels say hi

Nice Beaver

First Grade

The doctor should remove himself from the decision to remove any doubt one way or another.

That would be a start in this situation.

mave

Coach
If its good enough for Parra to have Watmough taken off the cap, why not for Manly ?

NRL with their usual inconsistent rulings....im shocked.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
If its good enough for Parra to have Watmough taken off the cap, why not for Manly ?

NRL with their usual inconsistent rulings....im shocked.

Because channel nein needed Parramatta playing for points ASAP to keep ratings up. No pressure on Toddles to do anything here to help Manly out.

Not that the prick would in a month of Sundays anyway.