What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cook for an origin bench spot

Travitoh

First Grade
One thing that i would like to see Cook do with his game is save the dummy half running until the second half when he can really exploit tired defenders - especially against a side like Canberra who's big boppers have struggled to see out games in the past two years.

I'd like to see the stats of first half metres and second half metres because i feel he is yet to put together two halves of footy in his career and use his strengths to exploit an oppositions weakness. The Penrith match is the perfect example where he was running every set in the first half but come the second where we needed a spark, he barely went and the attack was stagnant. Yes it was hot and sure he was fatigued but so were the opposition and that is when he should be attacking the opponents line.

Cam Smith doesn't like to kick in Origin because of the intensity the game is played at so if Cook can't perform at the same level over 80 minutes at club level, how is he going to do so in Origin? It's been said a lot but quality>quantity. Leave the inflated metres stats for the forwards.

For a bench utility i like Koroisau over Cook as Api has more flexibility in where he can play when inserted in to the game.

Cook definitely deserves to have his name in the conversation for a NSW spot and it wouldn't upset me if a gig (even though it'd mean Farah at 9 that week...) but if I'm selecting the side, I'm looking at McInnes for the reasons I've outlined. I believe he is better suited to putting together 80 minutes of footy at Origin level than Cook currently is.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
McINNES has always had great all round skills & serious pace but he too suffered under the Madge regime---like Peats he was treated like shit by us!!
He is a terrific team player,a v/good,consistent team manager who keeps that pace that he displayed last night for the right moment.A Cam Smith style of hooker;which is the best kind,ie. if you want substance & consistency.Throughout his career,so far,he has always been seen as a leader too;captaining Jnr sides,NYC & the Jnr Kangaroos.
He is genuinely tough &,I believe,suited to the SOO cauldron.
Cook is going v/well at present but would be a huge risk to pick him in SOO-----possibly from the bench;a big maybe---McInnes has been playing 80 mins for about 30 games straight now so he is well & truly conditioned to handling it!! Cook's "disorganised" style could be disruptive to the team too.

Cam's management of his HSC studies was great too where he topped his school[Pagewood Marist Bros] in Biology,Business Studies & English in his final exams.
Sounds like you miss him, thanks for sharing all that info mate, it’s good reading, cheers

doyen

Bench
Sounds like you miss him, thanks for sharing all that info mate, it’s good reading, cheers

You have probably gathered that I am a big critic of Madge;particularly his last couple of years when he failed to evolve as a coach.
He restricted players like McInnes in playing their natural games--Cook a victim too!
Cam is a genuine Sths Jnr & it was sad that he did not see a future with us!
Cook is NOT a Sths jnr & is now at his third club.
I understand that RL is a professional game but you do not crucify your best Jnrs[which Cam was] for outsiders of lesser talent--the Farah signing at 34 yrs was the last straw for Cam---anyway Saints will benefit from our loss!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
McInnes will have to cut out those silly penalties if he plays origin!

I don't miss him ouryears!!! Not at all

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
One thing that i would like to see Cook do with his game is save the dummy half running until the second half when he can really exploit tired defenders - especially against a side like Canberra who's big boppers have struggled to see out games in the past two years.

I'd like to see the stats of first half metres and second half metres because i feel he is yet to put together two halves of footy in his career and use his strengths to exploit an oppositions weakness. The Penrith match is the perfect example where he was running every set in the first half but come the second where we needed a spark, he barely went and the attack was stagnant. Yes it was hot and sure he was fatigued but so were the opposition and that is when he should be attacking the opponents line.

Cam Smith doesn't like to kick in Origin because of the intensity the game is played at so if Cook can't perform at the same level over 80 minutes at club level, how is he going to do so in Origin? It's been said a lot but quality>quantity. Leave the inflated metres stats for the forwards.

For a bench utility i like Koroisau over Cook as Api has more flexibility in where he can play when inserted in to the game.

Cook definitely deserves to have his name in the conversation for a NSW spot and it wouldn't upset me if a gig (even though it'd mean Farah at 9 that week...) but if I'm selecting the side, I'm looking at McInnes for the reasons I've outlined. I believe he is better suited to putting together 80 minutes of footy at Origin level than Cook currently is.

Well that brings up the argument of whether NSW want an 80 minute hooker or not and I don’t think we do. I don’t believe we should be looking at QLD and trying to replicate their formula.

We have some great forwards in NSW and I feel like our best opportunities are always straight through the middle. Whichever way Fittler goes for the hooker I hope he’s considering an explosive utility off the bench as well. Jack bird was great when he was in form. I like Peachey, but he might be too inconsistent for the origin arena.

ouryears

Bench
You have probably gathered that I am a big critic of Madge;particularly his last couple of years when he failed to evolve as a coach.
He restricted players like McInnes in playing their natural games--Cook a victim too!
Cam is a genuine Sths Jnr & it was sad that he did not see a future with us!
Cook is NOT a Sths jnr & is now at his third club.
I understand that RL is a professional game but you do not crucify your best Jnrs[which Cam was] for outsiders of lesser talent--the Farah signing at 34 yrs was the last straw for Cam---anyway Saints will benefit from our loss!!

Cheers Doyen, all the best for the year.

I was happy for you guys too when Madge left, it will bring a lot more flair and exciting football to the Rabbits

ThingFish

Juniors

Just watched the replay of the game on Foxtel on demand and at half time Anasta said he had already run close to 100m. So was on track to run a 200m game. I think he ended up with 140odd.

Curns13

Juniors
I hope you Cock-roaches :p pick McInnes. I dont care if he makes 80 tackles, he offers nothing in attack. Please pick him.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Seeing Jonathan Thurston play so averagely makes me feel so much better about GI’s return. GI may not be as good as he was a couple of years ago, but JT is no where near the player he was before injury. He actually looks old for the first time in his career.

Out of curiosity as well. Why do some south supporters go for QLD? That’s just yuck.