What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys cannot make Top 4

beave

Coach
Tamou was at his disinterested best today with a barnstorming 102m.

All the backs bar one, made more metres than him.

OldPanther

Coach
The Cows might be top 8 but they have reason to worry. They had 60% possession and Moylan was stuffed yet had trouble winning.

beave

Coach
I don't think many NQ fans are under any illusion that we are a genuine threat this year. We have had and still have a lot of injuries, some have been to key players (Scott, Thurston, Granville, Coote). As long as they show up and have a crack, that's all we're asking for mate.

Charlie124

First Grade
Our defence is still strong and the attitude needed to win games is still there. All we need to work hard on over the next few weeks is how we adjust our attacking plays to the styles of Laybutt/Martin in the halves with Morgo. We were clunky today, but i saw enough to believe that we can still give it a shake.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I admire your optimism but only the "Leicester rule" - that is, a sporting miracle - gives the Cowboys a chance to win the comp this year.

The Cowboys have shown tremendous resilience in the face of a serious injury toll to their key players and it'll hold them in great stead for next season.

But in 2017 they're a forlorn Premiership hope at best. I still rate them a very good chance to make the bottom half of the 8 though.

Shorty

Staff member
Next year will be our last legitimate crack at a premiership for a while.
This year has shown that's probably not the case.
Not nearly as potent without Thurston but still look a strong team.
This year I'd be happy with a top 8 finals appearance, it'd do wonders for their confidence.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Green's not going to give up the yardstick that easily
It's not about Green, it's about Thurston.

When Fittler retired Ricky's Roosters went from almost guaranteed Grand Finalists every year to cellar dwellers.

The Knights post Johns and Broncos post Lockyer experienced similar downturns.

Replacing a genuine legend playmaker who the team has been built around for a decade takes a few years. Their loss hits the culture hard as much as anything so it'll be a couple of lean years post JT for the Cowboys imo.

POPEYE

Coach
It's not about Green, it's about Thurston.

When Fittler retired Ricky's Roosters went from almost guaranteed Grand Finalists every year to cellar dwellers.

The Knights post Johns and Broncos post Lockyer experienced similar downturns.

Replacing a genuine legend playmaker who the team has been built around for a decade takes a few years. Their loss hits the culture hard as much as anything so it'll be a couple of lean years post JT for the Cowboys imo.
Opinions are great things Tom, I respect yours but mine is that any team that wants to become 'a cultured yardstick', as Green is on record as promising from the outset, has to be able to transition from player movements.

Imo it's all about Green just as it's all about anyone wanting to be a supercoach . . . I'd expect one year like a post Maloney Roosters and then the Cowboys to emulate this year's Roosters

Pedge1971

First Grade
Our defence is still strong and the attitude needed to win games is still there. All we need to work hard on over the next few weeks is how we adjust our attacking plays to the styles of Laybutt/Martin in the halves with Morgo. We were clunky today, but i saw enough to believe that we can still give it a shake.

Aĺl u need is a Thurston clone. While you're at it can you throw us one?

OldPanther

Coach
Reason to worry?

We had a 2 gamer playing half and 3 players backing up from Wednesday.

Talk about throwing stones.

Im not "throwing stones". Panthers played like Merkins and tried to give them the game and it came down to a miracle try at the death. I said they'd make the 8. Probably before us.

POPEYE

Coach
Tuppeny f**k eyes on the lolly jar. The first rule of fight club.
No skin off my nose ol' mate but have you noticed your lack of back up . . . just because I pulled your pants down once doesn't mean you need continue with them around your ankles. If you want to match wits why not try something of your own

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They weren't going to make the top 4 even if Thurston was fit as a fiddle. That opportunity went out the window when Scott got injured.

They'll sneak into the 8 if they stop using JT13 as a battering ram and nothing else.

Next year? Who the hell knows.

Iafeta

Referee
Lol what's this Nathanael Peteru gee up? Body like Tarzan, hands like Free Willy. Good trolling though I will give you that Isaiah.

isaiah

Bench
Let's see this year which of the Broncs or cows has better results thru the origin period. For me, the Broncs Bench is better and will give more momentum thru those weeks,as well as adding su'a on an edge like last year.
Broncos looking the goods for the top 4