What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dominoes 'biggest loser' range

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah you've got a good point there Nikki and realistically that's going to happen often.
However in terms of good for you pizzas, I'd be looking at something a tad more sophisticated than dominoes, especially for the price they're pulling.

The other thing is, why not just have one or two slices of pizza and limit your intake....if it's a now and then thing, and then make sure that you do the activity during or the next day to justify it.
It's not good to be completely strict because binging and blow outs are going to occur lots more regularly that way.

I have issues with a celebrity personal trainer being on the front of a fast food voucher, no matter if it is 'healthy' Shannen's obviously a money whore.
Wouldn't see Jillian Michaels doing that!

Nikki

Coach
I dont think it is. Im on the other side of the fence here, and I can tell you that for a while I did not cook a meal at home. Then I decided to clean up my act, so I went to Woolies, bought all the fruit, vegs, low fat whatever and didnt last a week. So, feeling despondant, went straight back to old ways. And hearing on the news that now Australian woman are the fattest, or getting fatter quicker than the rest of the world I am standing by my point.

fish eel

Immortal
tbh unless people starve themselves, trying to lose weight without exercising is a waste of time.

Exercise reguarly and you can enjoy the some bad food now and then

roopy

Referee
I dont think it is. Im on the other side of the fence here, and I can tell you that for a while I did not cook a meal at home. Then I decided to clean up my act, so I went to Woolies, bought all the fruit, vegs, low fat whatever and didnt last a week. So, feeling despondant, went straight back to old ways. And hearing on the news that now Australian woman are the fattest, or getting fatter quicker than the rest of the world I am standing by my point.
Convenience food is one of the fastest growing things in the country, if not the world. Fast food chains offering healthy options are a very good thing, because you only have to walk into any shopping mall or down any main street to know that fast food makes up a large and increasing part of all our diets.
All the hypocrites in this thread who eat fast food and tell you that you don't have a right to can f**k themselves i reckon.
I don't currently need to lose weight, but if and when i do again I will be quite happy to use any healthy options offered by fast food franchises - hell - i generally go for the healthy choice option anyway.
My only beef is the many fast food places like salad and juice bars that pretend to be a healthy alternative and hand you 2000 or 3000 calorie meals.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah they sponsor my footy club so we get Crust pizzas every week after training. Quality, and you can tell they're not as greasy as the big franchises.

Yeah, because the big franchises sell more pizza in one day than these smaller stores do in a week - something's gotta give, and unfortunately, oil is very good at preserving dough, specially en masse...

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think it's more likely to delude overweight people that they can cut corners in trying to losing weight. Which is not the right message.

If you seriously want to lose weight, which is exactly what this range is targeting by definition, you should man up and do it the right way.

An overweight person trying to lose weight should just have the discipline not to want pizza. Those who do are clearly not legit about improving themselves.

Could, should, would - in this fairy tale world of yours things would happen a lot differently to what they actually do.

I'm not disagreeing per se, but I fail to see what the major crime is. Domino's is nothing but transparent with their info - they have brochures outlining the nutritional requirements their new range meets and FYI it's called the Good Choice Range, not the Biggest Loser Range. The aim, whether you like it or not, is to retain business but at the same time provide a healthy option for people. And like it or not, a small pizza with less than 400 calories with fresh veggies and lean chicken IS healthy.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah you've got a good point there Nikki and realistically that's going to happen often.
However in terms of good for you pizzas, I'd be looking at something a tad more sophisticated than dominoes, especially for the price they're pulling.

The other thing is, why not just have one or two slices of pizza and limit your intake....if it's a now and then thing, and then make sure that you do the activity during or the next day to justify it.
It's not good to be completely strict because binging and blow outs are going to occur lots more regularly that way.

I have issues with a celebrity personal trainer being on the front of a fast food voucher, no matter if it is 'healthy' Shannen's obviously a money whore.
Wouldn't see Jillian Michaels doing that!

Domino's Pizza is a business first and foremost. You can label it anything you like, but at the end of the day, their goal is to sell people pizza and make money. Advertising and marketing campaigns using "celebrities" is not a device used solely by Domino's Pizza. Using star power to sell a product is nothing new.

Shannon just happens to be the leading celebrity fitness guru, so teaming up with him was an obvious choice.

For the record, I think the whole concept is garbage. Although interestingly enough none of you have mentioned the salads and new sandwich that have been released with the new range, too. :roll: But the concept of a big fast food chain selling healthy options...Kudos, and points for trying, but really - people who want to look after themselves probably won't order, and fair enough. I guess the idea is to make available a healthy range of food and to be made readily available for people who don't have time - they're targeting businesses who go to Dominos' on their lunch hour, for example.

I find it comical that a big chain tries to do something that is actually not sinister at all and everyone labels them as the devil. Yes, the price is stupid - that is Domino's Head Office doing that, and they are a bunch of f**king monkeys. But the stores and franchises themselves cannot change the prices unfortunately. But lighten up - aside from the rather stupid price on some of the items, there is nothing sinister going on and you health freaks need to get off your f**king high horses and stop thinking that because you're anorexic hacks who go to the gym 6 times a week that you're better than someone who has a weight problem.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Dominos and weight loss...drink Low Carb Beer as well and all will be fine.:sarcasm:

Let's be clear on one thing - the idea isn't saying, "Here you go - eat the low calorie pies and your excess weight will fly off!"

Rather, it's saying, "Look, you want to lose weight? Watch "The Biggest Loser" on TV to get the know-how on how to do it, and when you're hungry we'll give you a calorie-controlled, nutritional meal to give you the tools to help you along the way."

Shorty

Staff member
Domino's Pizza is a business first and foremost. You can label it anything you like, but at the end of the day, their goal is to sell people pizza and make money. Advertising and marketing campaigns using "celebrities" is not a device used solely by Domino's Pizza. Using star power to sell a product is nothing new.

Shannon just happens to be the leading celebrity fitness guru, so teaming up with him was an obvious choice.

For the record, I think the whole concept is garbage. Although interestingly enough none of you have mentioned the salads and new sandwich that have been released with the new range, too. :roll: But the concept of a big fast food chain selling healthy options...Kudos, and points for trying, but really - people who want to look after themselves probably won't order, and fair enough. I guess the idea is to make available a healthy range of food and to be made readily available for people who don't have time - they're targeting businesses who go to Dominos' on their lunch hour, for example.

I find it comical that a big chain tries to do something that is actually not sinister at all and everyone labels them as the devil. Yes, the price is stupid - that is Domino's Head Office doing that, and they are a bunch of f**king monkeys. But the stores and franchises themselves cannot change the prices unfortunately. But lighten up - aside from the rather stupid price on some of the items, there is nothing sinister going on and you health freaks need to get off your f**king high horses and stop thinking that because you're anorexic hacks who go to the gym 6 times a week that you're better than someone who has a weight problem.
Oh I applaud them for doing it, but it's only for the growing demographic of health conscious people.
Let's face it, if Maccas had not got their *ss kicked by so many people this whole phenomena would not exist.

And my opinion is more on the actual quality of the food, I've had dominoes maybe twice in my life and it's probably the worst pizza I've had and I find their marketing tacky.
If you're going to misbehave for a night, why not get something that's worth the worry instead of poor quality cheap trash.
Or better yet, make your own pizzas...cheaper too!
Clearly you have a chip, calling people anorexic because they're health conscious is a bit p*ssweak is it not? Hell, I'm only commenting in here because it's my profession and my passion - I don't want to be called that crap.
Basically it's like diet coke, just have plain coke now and again and limit it, people get complacent because they see all these healthy options and think that it validates the over comsumption of fast food, it doesn't.
It's for instances like what Nikki said about having a beer with mates, there's a better option, fine but not all the time.

Roopy, I can't vouch for anyone else but my consumption of junk food is minimal and when it is so called 'junk' it's not a cardboard processed mess.
I do agree about the juices, I have to correct people on the sugar amount in those things and people also tend to think everything at Subway is healthy as well, which isn't true.

Nikki, why do you have issues with preparing meals? Are you busy or plain hate cooking? There's some great places out there that prepare your meals and get you into the whole portion control groove.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
Roopy, I can't vouch for anyone else but my consumption of junk food is minimal and when it is so called 'junk' it's not a cardboard processed mess.
I do agree about the juices, I have to correct people on the sugar amount in those things and people also tend to think everything at Subway is healthy as well, which isn't true.
I deliberately didn't use the words 'junk food' - because the time when convienience and fast food had to be junk has been over for some time.
I eat a lot of convienience food these days - more and more as the options get better and better.
If you are very clear about what you want - (no butter - no chips - only plain salad, no dressings etc etc etc) - you can get a cheap and healthy feed just about anywhere these days.
Dominoes might actually be one of the last places to add a healthy option.
I don't go to fast food chains very often, but just about any pub will do a grilled fish and plain salad, and any cafe will do a wholemeal roll with healthy fillings.
20 years ago they looked at you funny if you wanted no beetroot on your burger, and counter meals had gravy - that was the rule. Now you get what you want.

Valderon

Juniors
Could, should, would - in this fairy tale world of yours things would happen a lot differently to what they actually do.

I'm not disagreeing per se, but I fail to see what the major crime is. Domino's is nothing but transparent with their info - they have brochures outlining the nutritional requirements their new range meets and FYI it's called the Good Choice Range, not the Biggest Loser Range. The aim, whether you like it or not, is to retain business but at the same time provide a healthy option for people. And like it or not, a small pizza with less than 400 calories with fresh veggies and lean chicken IS healthy.

You must work for Domino's with the way you're carrying on.

400 calories in one meal is a tonne of calories. When reviewing a meal, you don't just look at the energy value - (which in this case, for a "small pizza", is quite a significant amount) - you must also look at the nutrient quality as well.

Generally speaking, these styles of foods are energy rich and nutrient poor.

In addition to this, you made a remark about their nutritional contents being transparent. This is not an issue of transparency. You're missing the point completely if you think that is the point of concern. Psychology in health, exercise and lifestyle modifications plays a very large role in their well devised campaigns.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Oh I applaud them for doing it, but it's only for the growing demographic of health conscious people.
Let's face it, if Maccas had not got their *ss kicked by so many people this whole phenomena would not exist.

And my opinion is more on the actual quality of the food, I've had dominoes maybe twice in my life and it's probably the worst pizza I've had and I find their marketing tacky.
If you're going to misbehave for a night, why not get something that's worth the worry instead of poor quality cheap trash.
Or better yet, make your own pizzas...cheaper too!
Clearly you have a chip, calling people anorexic because they're health conscious is a bit p*ssweak is it not? Hell, I'm only commenting in here because it's my profession and my passion - I don't want to be called that crap.
Basically it's like diet coke, just have plain coke now and again and limit it, people get complacent because they see all these healthy options and think that it validates the over comsumption of fast food, it doesn't.
It's for instances like what Nikki said about having a beer with mates, there's a better option, fine but not all the time.

Nikki, why do you have issues with preparing meals? Are you busy or plain hate cooking? There's some great places out there that prepare your meals and get you into the whole portion control groove.

I have a chip? My comment was in response to people labelling people with weight problems as fat f**ks - like they think they're better than people who are overweight.

I'm not claiming Domino's are the greatest ever. But for people to come in here and condemn a company for doing something decent for a change is a bit rich.

Also, fast food is never going to be delicious. Nothing will ever compare to a home-cooked meal. Likewise, the reason fast food tastes like sh*t is because it's simply the easiest, quickest most cost efficient way to make the food.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You must work for Domino's with the way you're carrying on.

400 calories in one meal is a tonne of calories. When reviewing a meal, you don't just look at the energy value - (which in this case, for a "small pizza", is quite a significant amount) - you must also look at the nutrient quality as well.

Generally speaking, these styles of foods are energy rich and nutrient poor.

In addition to this, you made a remark about their nutritional contents being transparent. This is not an issue of transparency. You're missing the point completely if you think that is the point of concern. Psychology in health, exercise and lifestyle modifications plays a very large role in their well devised campaigns.

Firstly, yes, I do work for them. And you can see how highly I think of their marketing department (if you can even call it that) by seeing me jump in trying to clarify the misconceptions that has been brought about by this launch.

I am pretty certain I did mention the nutritional content as a whole - the reason the pizzas have the toppings they do is to minimise fat contents, sugars and boost protein and minerals. I'm not saying it's perfect for you - pizza never will be, and especially not that you can get from a big fast food chain. But nutritionally speaking, these new pizzas, small and expensive though they may be (again, great work by the head honchos there :roll:), are a decent source of nutrition once in a while for someone seeking to control their weight - like a treat, almost, but a treat that is far better for them than the usual meals we offer.

It's exactly an issue of transparency - here you are carrying on like it's a piece of cardboard. Yes, it may look and taste like a piece of cardboard to you, but to the people considering buying it, it is a far, far healthier alternative than, say, a pepperoni pizza or a garlic bread. I have many people come in to my store - professional people from offices around - who simply don't have time to get a good lunch, so for them, this launch should provide to be a bonus.

Lastly, Domino's campaigns are piss poor. Well-devised? Please - it took people 3 months to figure out we had returned prawns to our menu, and it took 6 weeks before customers began to order the feta pizzas on a regular basis. The marketing 'geniuses' at Domino's are anything but, and their campaigns are anything but well-devised - as evidenced by the fact you and others have completely missed the point of the products. Yes, they're trying to capitalise on a new niche in the fast food market (so sue 'em). But the whole aim of teaming with Shannon and The Biggest Loser was to provide support to people looking to make a change to their lifestyles - if a customer walks into my store and asks whether they can exercise 40 hours a week and live off our new pizzas and maintain a healthy weight, I will rapidly correct them. That is not the point.

Overall, though, I feel the products are a good idea in principle with very poor execution on their behalf.

Valderon

Juniors
But for people to come in here and condemn a company for doing something decent for a change is a bit rich.

I think the judgement of Domino's "decency", and other such company's with similar "options" , is a matter of opinion and speculation.

While making healthier options is respectable; it doesn't necessary correlate well to healthy options.

Regardless; whether cynical or not - I'm not wholly supportive of their move - I think there's no real moral motivation in their decisions; rather it's entirely profiteering - aiming to claim a larger market share of a vulnerable demographic.

roopy

Referee
Roopy can you upsize that Pizza with a garlic bread and a bottle of coke? :D
Funny you should say that.
I noticed they had all the 'biggest loser options' listed with calorie counts etc, and on the same notice a 'chocolate pudding' with no calorie count - obviously they think fatties will eat something healthy and order a chocolate pudding to celebrate their good choice.
Sadly, a lot of people will think it is low calorie because it is on the same notice.

Johns Magic

Referee
I have a chip? My comment was in response to people labelling people with weight problems as fat f**ks - like they think they're better than people who are overweight.

Fat people should be trying to lose weight. Obesity is an epidemic in Australia. Australian women have the highest rising obesity rate in the world.

It needs to be addressed and any fat person stuffing their face with pizza in an effort to lose weight is pathetic.

Latest posts