What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Chasing Paul Vaughan: 8 Other Clubs Included

BrissyRedV

Bench

nrlnrl

First Grade
Not sure this guy is $600k per season player.
Who wrote the article? His agent? At the moment, he's only worth $200K max. That might change if develops into a regular starter, but $600K is laughable. The '8 clubs' chasing is just bait from he agent to force the price up, but he'll be lucky to make $300K, even if 2-3 legit clubs want to have a bidding war.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Not sold on PV TBH
Yes he's a big unit but his stats for this year haven't been overly impressive, average at best.

Personally, I'd be looking to Sele to fill the prop rotation, to me he has more upside.

Signing someone like PV on a 2-3 yr deal, would only take up cap space (especially for the $$$ being muted) where we have Sele, Host (both only 20) who will fill out under a full season in 1st grade training, plus our young U20's in Lawrie and Jurd (they would probably need a year or 2 playing in the Cutters or higher).

I'm not interested in a player just because he's big, to me they also have to show more than that. Stuart is no dummy either and there's a reason why PV is on the nose there. The smell of mediocracy seems to surround PV otherwise he'd he a permanent member of their 1st grade.

BennyV

Referee
Not sold on PV TBH
Yes he's a big unit but his stats for this year haven't been overly impressive, average at best.

Personally, I'd be looking to Sele to fill the prop rotation, to me he has more upside.

Signing someone like PV on a 2-3 yr deal, would only take up cap space (especially for the $$$ being muted) where we have Sele, Host (both only 20) who will fill out under a full season in 1st grade training, plus our young U20's in Lawrie and Jurd (they would probably need a year or 2 playing in the Cutters or higher).

I'm not interested in a player just because he's big, to me they also have to show more than that. Stuart is no dummy either and there's a reason why PV is on the nose there. The smell of mediocracy seems to surround PV otherwise he'd he a permanent member of their 1st grade.
The guy was on the cusp of Origin last year. Definitely fits into our middle rotation over everyone bar Packer and Simms. Not worth $600k (very few props are) but definitely worth signing.

mobels

Juniors
Would love him adds a whole lot more size and aggression to our forward pack. If we were able to snag him we'd have a pretty damn good forward pack for next year:

8. Vaughan
10. Packer
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. JDB

14. Ah Mau
15. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Host/Masoe/Havilli

Looks the goods to me. However I doubt we'd be able to sign him.

Gareth67

First Grade
We only need 1 more player like Vaughan to have to have a real good size pack .
Also that pack requires a leader to show the way forward , with some aggressive running - and that player is Simms !

Give him that opportunity , to lead the pack early at the beginning of next year and hopefully the rest of the forwards will respond . Also the added bonus of Mr. Simms playing with ' controlled aggression ' , which equates to more time on the field .

However once again we can only hope that the coach ( ? ) will allow this , having his big forwards smashing into the opposition defence , with some quicker wingers / centres , backing them up .

nrlnrl

First Grade
Not sold on PV TBH

I agree. I think there are big doubts over his fitness. He only lasts short bursts on the field. The wraps for him being close to Origin were from a couple of people in the media & in my opinion, totally ridiculous. NSW have plenty of forwards in front of him who are playing regular first grade. (not NSW Cup) It was like people talking up Josh McCrone as being close to an Origin player a couple of years ago.

I would only rate Vaughan a $200K player. For 2017, I'd prefer to stick with younger players already in the Dragons system such as Host & Sele, then save the money for other areas.