What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Chasing Paul Vaughan: 8 Other Clubs Included

Joey_dragons

Juniors
Vaughan set to sign with Dragons

By The MoleSeptember 27, 2016
Facebook
Twitter
Google
Email
THE DRAGONS look to have secured the services of bustling Raiders forward Paul Vaughan.

The hard-working forward is under contract for the 2017 season but the Raiders will not stand in his way of pursuing an opportunity with the Dragons.

Vaughan has struggled to crack the Raiders top 17 for much of the year and has attracted the attention of a number of rival clubs including the Tigers and the Knights. But the Country Origin representative has reportedly rejected their advances in favour of linking up with the Red V.

The deal is very close to being done with both parties just looking to finalise a few details. The move is expected to be announced in the coming days.

The 25-year-old is a great asset for any club as he possesses the ability to play big minutes both as a starter or as an impact player off the bench. He is also extremely versatile and can be effective both up the middle and on the edge as a hole runner.

The Dragons have demonstrated a tendency to poach players from the nation’s capital in recent years. Josh Dugan, Joel Thompson and Josh McCrone have all been signed in the past four seasons.

The club have also recently secured the services of hooker Cameron McInnes and in-form winger Nene Macdonald for 2017.

The big question for the club now centres on who will partner Gareth Widdop in the halves following the decision to part ways with playmaker Benji Marshall.

Young five-eighth Drew Hutchison is the front-runner for the position, however the club are in talks with free agent Todd Carney as first revealed by the RLW Mole.

Dragonscales

Juniors
Vaughn would be a sensational buy but at 600k you got to wonder. Why wasn't Merrin offered that as he would be the better option and is a junior. I thought Saints don;t offer forwards big dollars because of Sir Benny's logic. Funny that as when Bennett went to Knights he paid how much for Douglas? Pretty sure it was massive amounts to get him from the Sharks. Same with Sims and Jeremy Smith.

Merrin is on 750k at Penrith.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Something is wrong at Canberra with Vaughan. Maybe he doesn't see eye to eye with Ricky Stuart? Maybe his earlier injuries have impacted his performance this season.
To be quite honest, I think Vaughan is one of their best forwards, their best prop at least.
Paulo is huge but he plays the same minutes as Kasiano and Shannon Boyd is too one dimensional, he just runs straight with no footwork or offload. I mean yes, Boyd is effective, but I feel like he doesn't have what Vaughan can provide.
Vaughan has great footwork and can throw an offload, he also runs incredibly hard and can play big minutes. Something has to be up at Canberra for him. It will be a huge pick up for us.

Edwahu

Bench
Something is wrong at Canberra with Vaughan. Maybe he doesn't see eye to eye with Ricky Stuart? Maybe his earlier injuries have impacted his performance this season.
To be quite honest, I think Vaughan is one of their best forwards, their best prop at least.
Paulo is huge but he plays the same minutes as Kasiano and Shannon Boyd is too one dimensional, he just runs straight with no footwork or offload. I mean yes, Boyd is effective, but I feel like he doesn't have what Vaughan can provide.
Vaughan has great footwork and can throw an offload, he also runs incredibly hard and can play big minutes. Something has to be up at Canberra for him. It will be a huge pick up for us.

Paulo actually averages 50 minutes a game. He has a decent motor for a bloke his size. Vaughan has great footwork but he tends to get held up in tackles and his PTB speed suffers compared to Boyd and Paulo.

He would still be a good pickup for you guys if he gets his attitude right.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Paulo actually averages 50 minutes a game. He has a decent motor for a bloke his size. Vaughan has great footwork but he tends to get held up in tackles and his PTB speed suffers compared to Boyd and Paulo.

He would still be a good pickup for you guys if he gets his attitude right.

Sorry mate I had it the wrong way around haha. It's actually Boyd who doesn't play a lot of minutes. I think he averages less than 40 a game?

getsmarty

Immortal

Vaughan set to sign with Dragons
By The Mole
September 27, 2016

THE DRAGONS look to have secured the services of bustling Raiders forward Paul Vaughan.

The hard-working forward is under contract for the 2017 season but the Raiders will not stand in his way of pursuing an opportunity with the Dragons.

Vaughan has struggled to crack the Raiders top 17 for much of the year and has attracted the attention of a number of rival clubs including the Tigers and the Knights. But the Country Origin representative has reportedly rejected their advances in favour of linking up with the Red V.

The deal is very close to being done with both parties just looking to finalise a few details. The move is expected to be announced in the coming days.

The 25-year-old is a great asset for any club as he possesses the ability to play big minutes both as a starter or as an impact player off the bench. He is also extremely versatile and can be effective both up the middle and on the edge as a hole runner.

The Dragons have demonstrated a tendency to poach players from the nation’s capital in recent years. Josh Dugan, Joel Thompson and Josh McCrone have all been signed in the past four seasons.

The club have also recently secured the services of hooker Cameron McInnes and in-form winger Nene Macdonald for 2017.

The big question for the club now centres on who will partner Gareth Widdop in the halves following the decision to part ways with playmaker Benji Marshall.

Young five-eighth Drew Hutchison is the front-runner for the position, however the club are in talks with free agent Todd Carney as first revealed by the RLW Mole.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/vaughan-set-sign-dragons/

Thats the issue what 7 can they sign that will make a difference.

No one seems to know what Luke Walsh is doing.
Hastings is he really a 7 or a 9.
They could snag a young 7 but the club has no patience ie Williams.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Kurt is a good player, but everyone is saying we need a General, and organising halfback. Do people really think Kurt Mann is that player? The last time he played in the halves was in his junior years and even then he was playing as a running 5/8. He couldn't even get a halves position in the Cutters and that was under Demetriou, not McGregor.
I just want to avoid people saying we should give him the job, then crucifying him when it doesn't succeed.
I want him to succeed, don't get me wrong! But I just feel like he's not the answer.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors

Apparently they were close to signing Mitch Cornish, but he decided on the roosters. Probably because his brother plays there

Belta

Juniors
I agree Vaughan would be a good replacement for cooper. We seemed to lack forwards who make an impact running with the ball. Another big body will help our go forward especially if masoe and packer play well and remain injury free

Dannyboy80

Juniors

Luke Walsh is going to Newcastle I think I heard. A few different sources have said Jackson Hastings will be coming...

Latest posts