What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Recruitment Update

BennyV

Referee
The way I see Mary approaching the experience vs juniors scenario is sort of like a leading hand on a contruction site. If the project is running behind would you rather an apprentice who is out of his depth or a halfback who has played in a finals series and has 140 odd games under his belt.. I know it's not a great analogy but you can see where he's coming from. He knows what he's going to get and I still think McCrone does his job well but his kicking game does hamper us considerably. Same thing with the fullback position. The game is as tough and aggressive as it's ever been and if you throw a 80kg kid into it week in, week out, he will break. Benji missed years of his career from injuries sustained in his late teens to early twenties. Even Bevan French has missed half this season and it may only get worse for him.
Terrible analogy:
1) We arent running behind schedule, in fact we are well ahead where we thought wed be.
2) You aren't throwing the apprentice in alone, he will be surrounded by seasoned workers who will make his job easier.
3) The apprentice, while quite green, may have better skills than the old guy.
4) When everyone in the team starts to get complacent and construction slows down a bit, sometimes the energy and skillset of a young bloke can help lift the place, even if it's just the change to shake things up.

In addition, no one is suggesting to throw Dufty or Field in for the remainder of the season as you are correct, their bodies are not used to it. However, in a 1 off game to cover for origin, there's absolutely no reason not to play them. Problem is that in Mary's mind, it's better to play a mediocre player who we know will be mediocre than a guy who hasnt proven to be just as mediocre.

ALSGI

Bench
Terrible analogy:
1) We arent running behind schedule, in fact we are well ahead where we thought wed be.
2) You aren't throwing the apprentice in alone, he will be surrounded by seasoned workers who will make his job easier.
4) When everyone in the team starts to get complacent and construction slows down a bit, sometimes the energy and skillset of a young bloke can help lift the place, even if it's just the change to shake things up.

In addition, no one is suggesting to throw Dufty or Field in for the remainder of the season as you are correct, their bodies are not used to it. However, in a 1 off game to cover for origin, there's absolutely no reason not to play them. Problem is that in Mary's mind, it's better to play a mediocre player who we know will be mediocre than a guy who hasnt proven to be just as mediocre.
Agree 100%.
Just don't get it at all.

WardyRedV

Juniors
Terrible analogy:

Fair enough, was a little late in the night coming up with that one.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The recruiment over the last uear has been pretty good with the signing of Hunt, Kerr, McInnes, Sims and Vaughan. When Hutchison got injured we would have been better to put Widdop at half-back and put Mann at five-eighth instead of McCrone who never will be a match winner.

WardyRedV

Juniors
The recruiment over the last uear has been pretty good with the signing of Hunt, Kerr, McInnes, Sims and Vaughan. When Hutchison got injured we would have been better to put Widdop at half-back and put Mann at five-eighth instead of McCrone who never will be a match winner.

We tried the two five eighths thing the last couple of years though and it didn't work out. I'm not entirely sure why Widdop couldn't do it but he stated he wanted to play with McCrone in order to play his natural game which, up until his injury, had him sitting up the top of the rankings for dally m and points scored.

Dragsters

First Grade
We need a quality kicker.

Surely Widdop can play with Nona and still play his natural game and call the shots like he is currently.

Added bonus is he will get to do this more often in quality field position.

Dragsters

First Grade
Interesting stats.

At a glance what I have gleaned is that the Dragons, a top 4 team for most of the season, are ranked 10th in kicking and have the 24th ranked kicker in the comp playing in the no.7, one of the lowest ranked halfbacks on the list.

This confirms to me that with a better kicker we can improve and I believe Nona is a better kicker than mccrone.

Last edited:
McCrone and Nona are like chalk and cheese when it comes to kicking.

Nona has alot of attributes that make a good solid 7 the only thing is his defence and his drifting in and out of games.

I rather have him for the pure fact he is a far better player then McCrone regardless of the "why hasn't he played first grade yet" remarks.

WardyRedV

Juniors
Interesting stats.

At a glance what I have gleaned is that the Dragons, a top 4 team for most of the season, are ranked 10th in kicking and have the 24th ranked kicker in the comp playing in the no.7, one of the lowest ranked halfbacks on the list.

This confirms to me that with a better kicker we can improve and I believe Nona is a better kicker than mccrone.

Also interesting to note Ben Hunts kicking game. Generally considered one of the poorer kicking halfbacks but is still ranked 7th. Should be a massive improvement next year and he's also one of the better kickers at finding the floor. Imagine what we could do if we had Corey Norman.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
McCrone and Nona are like chalk and cheese when it comes to kicking.

Nona has alot of attributes that make a good solid 7 the only thing is his defence and his drifting in and out of games.

I rather have him for the pure fact he is a far better player then McCrone regardless of the "why hasn't he played first grade yet" remarks.

A couple of points to renember too is that Nona has been involved with basically 4 GF's (2 premierships and 2 interstate titles). How many has McCrone played in?
As far as kicking, yes he is far superior in all aspects and its the kicking to advantage that gives our forwards that little extra incentive and/or rest. McCrone's kicking places unnecessary defensive pressure on our forwards.
Nona also has a deft passing game which would also suit our team structure and power play.
As you say, however, his defense is questionable at times but i did notice in a recent game he made over 20 tackles.

Dragsters

First Grade
A couple of points to renember too is that Nona has been involved with basically 4 GF's (2 premierships and 2 interstate titles). How many has McCrone played in?
As far as kicking, yes he is far superior in all aspects and its the kicking to advantage that gives our forwards that little extra incentive and/or rest. McCrone's kicking places unnecessary defensive pressure on our forwards.
Nona also has a deft passing game which would also suit our team structure and power play.
As you say, however, his defense is questionable at times but i did notice in a recent game he made over 20 tackles.

My sentiments exactly!

The improved field position would leverage our power game to the max.

Mary needs to take the blinkers off, assess the whole squad and utilise the necessary skills available to the benefit of the entire team.

It's a no brainer I reckon.

hazzbeen

Bench
My sentiments exactly!

The improved field position would leverage our power game to the max.

Mary needs to take the blinkers off, assess the whole squad and utilise the necessary skills available to the benefit of the entire team.

It's a no brainer I reckon.
The problem is the blinkers are glued on , It wont happen ......

Dragsters

First Grade
The problem is the blinkers are glued on , It wont happen ......

I hear u hazz and I could maybe understand him taking that conservative approach while his future was uncertain, but now it's secure one would think his main objective would be to build the best team possible.

With the lack of expectation on the Dragons this year, what better a time to experiment a little?

possm

Coach
I hear u hazz and I could maybe understand him taking that conservative approach while his future was uncertain, but now it's secure one would think his main objective would be to build the best team possible.

With the lack of expectation on the Dragons this year, what better a time to experiment a little?
Have Soward give Hunt some kicking training in the off-season. Now that Price is gone, there should be no resistance and Soward still loves the Dragons.

Dragsters

First Grade
Have Soward give Hunt some kicking training in the off-season. Now that Price is gone, there should be no resistance and Soward still loves the Dragons.

I'm more concerned about making the best out of the solid start to this season possm.

We have kicking quality on the books and there is no doubt that we could benefit from it so why not use it?

possm

Coach
Interesting stats.

Why can't Mary, Hornby and Young see that?

possm

Coach
I'm more concerned about making the best out of the solid start to this season possm.

We have kicking quality on the books and there is no doubt that we could benefit from it so why not use it?
So promote Nona and send McCrone back to reserve grade.
Hire Soward this year to help both Widdop and Nona with their kicking game.
Hire Soward next year to help Hunt and McInnes with their kicking game.