What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Warriors round 4

BrissyRedV

Bench
That's actually f**king hilarious.

Deeply depressing, but f**king hilarious.
It makes our 2 wins this season all the more remarkable though does it not? It's like a one legged sprinter beating Usain Bolt over a 100.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sunday time slot proves a winner

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

22 Mar 2017, 2:01 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons fans at Sunday local derby at Southern Cross Group Stadium

WHEN looking at the Dragons playing schedule at the start of the season, Kickoff thought the 6.30pm time slot was a recipe for large TV audiences and empty stadiums.

Those fears appeared to be confirmed when a crowd of just 7,283 people turned up the Dragons’ round one clash with Penrith. Granted the weather was miserable and fans may well have read too much into form guides that painted the Panthers as title favourites and the Dragons as spoon contenders.

The Dragons next two games in that time slot attracted very healthy crowds. Their round two clash with Parramatta saw 16,023 people pack WIN Stadium, the biggest crowd at the venue for an NRL match since round 10, 2013, while Sunday’s clash with the Sharks a Southern Cross Group Stadium attracted almost 15,000 people.

It will be interesting to see how many people turn up at Koagarah on Sunday when the Dragons take on the out-of-town Warriors, but the Sunday evening slot may well prove more crowd-friendly than first thought.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4548097/kickoff-sunday-time-slot-proves-a-winner/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Preview: Round 4 v New Zealand Warriors
Wed 22nd March, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons v New Zealand Warriors
UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah
Sunday, 6:30pm

The St George Illawarra Dragons returned to form in their 16-10 local derby win over the reigning premiers Cronulla Sharks in Round 3 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

In the grand scheme, the Dragons kept it simple by sticking to their well-documented power game which left the Sharks reeling.

More importantly it led to a further two competition points as the Red V jumped to third on the competition ladder.

The Dragons' upcoming opponents the Warriors haven't had the happiest of starts to 2017 after only recording one win in three games, falling to the Bulldogs last Friday night in Dunedin.

However they have been boosted by the return of skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and the potential debut of star recruit Kieran Foran. Ligi Sao has also been named to return from injury in the reserves.

The Dragons remain unchanged, though the hotly-contested battle for the No. 17 jumper remains between Kurt Mann and Jai Field.

Teams –

Dragons: 1. Josh Dugan, 2. Nene Macdonald, 3. Euan Aitken, 4. Tim Lafai, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Gareth Widdop (c), 7. Josh McCrone, 8. Russell Packer, 9. Cameron McInnes, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Tyson Frizell, 12. Joel Thompson, 13. Jack de Belin. Interchange: 14. Tariq Sims, 15. Leeson Ah Mau, 16. Jacob Host, 17. Kurt Mann, 18. Jai Field, 19. Taane Milne, 20. Luciano Leilua, 21. Hame Sele.

Warriors: 1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c), 2. Tuimoala Lolohea, 3. David Fusitu'a, 4. Solomone Kata, 5. Ken Maumalo, 6. Ata Hingano, 7. Shaun Johnson, 8. Albert Vete, 9. Issac Luke, 10. Jacob Lillyman, 11. Bodene Thompson, 12. Ryan Hoffman, 13. Simon Mannering. Interchange: 14. Erin Clark, 15. Charlie Gubb, 16. Sam Lisone, 17. Bunty Afoa, 18. James Gavet, 20. Ligi Sao, 21. Blake Ayshford, 22. Kieran Foran.

Key Match-Up: Josh McCrone v Shaun Johnson: One is a flashy representative halfback. The other is Shaun Johnson. While McCrone shanked a few kicks throughout the Sharks' win, he was otherwise rock solid on the Dragons' right-edge. In Johnson, the Warriors have one of the most potent players in the NRL. The proof is in the pudding with the New Zealand international has crossed for a try every game so far in 2017. The two halfbacks are on equal pegging in terms of try assists (McCrone 2, Johnson 3).

The History: Played 24; Dragons 19, Warriors 5. The Dragons have won 14 of their past 16 against the Warriors, but failed to beat them the last time they played. With six players suspended, the Warriors produced a 26-10 win in Round 9 last year. The Dragons can't afford to rest on the laurels this time around as the Warriors are expected to be full-strength.

Match Officials: Referee: Dave Munro. Assistant Referee: Chris Sutton. Sideline Officials: David Ryan and Peter Gough.

Televised: Fox League – Live coverage from 6pm

Radio: ABC and Triple M

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/22/nrl_preview_round_4_.af_news.html

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sunday time slot proves a winner

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

22 Mar 2017, 2:01 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons fans at Sunday local derby at Southern Cross Group Stadium

WHEN looking at the Dragons playing schedule at the start of the season, Kickoff thought the 6.30pm time slot was a recipe for large TV audiences and empty stadiums.

Those fears appeared to be confirmed when a crowd of just 7,283 people turned up the Dragons’ round one clash with Penrith. Granted the weather was miserable and fans may well have read too much into form guides that painted the Panthers as title favourites and the Dragons as spoon contenders.

The Dragons next two games in that time slot attracted very healthy crowds. Their round two clash with Parramatta saw 16,023 people pack WIN Stadium, the biggest crowd at the venue for an NRL match since round 10, 2013, while Sunday’s clash with the Sharks a Southern Cross Group Stadium attracted almost 15,000 people.

It will be interesting to see how many people turn up at Koagarah on Sunday when the Dragons take on the out-of-town Warriors, but the Sunday evening slot may well prove more crowd-friendly than first thought.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4548097/kickoff-sunday-time-slot-proves-a-winner/?cs=3713
The author neglected to mention that for Red V members the Kogarah package DOES NOT include entry into Jubilee this Sunday. For some reason, 'season ticket' holders can only go to this game if they pay extra.

No skin off my nose as I never renewed my membership, for reasons that have again become obvious. I'll pay for a ticket like everyone else,

Nevertheless, this oversight (or poor management) is going to cost us some gate takings.

Reactions: Qdf

SBD82

Coach
The author neglected to mention that for Red V members the Kogarah package DOES NOT include entry into Jubilee this Sunday. For some reason, 'season ticket' holders can only go to this game if they pay extra.

No skin off my nose as I never renewed my membership, for reasons that have again become obvious. I'll pay for a ticket like everyone else,

Nevertheless, this oversight (or poor management) is going to cost us some gate takings.
This is a gee up. Surely.

I must have misunderstood your post. The kogarah package doesn't include the warriors game??

dragonssamy61

First Grade
anyone read the match preview on the Dragons website.Pulled this comment off it
Key Match-Up: Josh McCrone v Shaun Johnson: One is a flashy representative halfback. The other is Shaun Johnson.

absolutely hilarious,couldnt stop laughing,I thought Mary was going to stick to coaching but he is obviously writing the previews as well

Emu
Mybe a comedy writer.
Although he doesn't know he's the joke

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Yeap suck willow
If you have dragon dozen you can go its included.
It's because they are playing 5 at kogarah apparently that what the club told me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm having trouble believing it but enough people have told me. One Red V member summed it when he said that his 'season ticket' is only good for 4/5 of Kogarah home games.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Wasn't Munro the ref for the Parra game? Couldn't keep them at the 10m if I remember correctly, we could be in for a big surprise on Sunday folks.

Reactions: Qdf

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This is a gee up. Surely.

I must have misunderstood your post. The kogarah package doesn't include the warriors game??
Apparently people received phone calls from the club this week and the callers offered to sell them tickets to the Warriors game, their 'season ticket' being not valid.

The problem is a lot of people were under the impression they were buying in for 5 games. It's easy to see how they would get this impression.

http://www.marchwithus.com.au/helpmechoose

After you select 5 games at Kogarah you get this on the next page: Check out the graphics, but look what's hidden in the small print...
======================================================================
We'd recommend a
Kogarah Pass
Just heading to UOW Jubilee Oval - this is tailored for you!
kogarahpasssmall.jpg
This four game membership is perfect for supporters who can only attend matches at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah. Just choose your seating option based on your viewing preference and be there to cheer on your team!

For more information and pricing click here
========================================================================
BUT, there are contradictions on the Dragons website. It gets more confusing after you click on the 'click here' link above.... where it says again it is for 5 games.

========================================================================

af38d6_2d9e05d9964b4f2db9028ab0979f0ad0%7Emv2.jpg

This now five game membership is perfect for supporters who can only attend matches at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah. Just choose your seating option based on your viewing preference and be there to cheer on your team!

A Kogarah Pass Membership includes:
  • Your ticket in the seating category of your choice to 5 home games at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah
================================================================

To make it more confusing, Ticketek shows that many prime tickets are not available. It appears to the casual observer that the seats are taken when presumably they should be available.

I certainly urge people to go to the game as Kogarah is our home ground and needs our support. That support is especially important now when barriers like this keep getting thrown up.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Depends when you renewed if you renewed by deadline you would have only done for 4, the club has sent multiple emails, calls and SMS to remind me so shouldn't come as suprise im just buying a seat extra for this one

Life's Good

Coach
I've got a good feeling for this game. Not that we are a finely tuned point scoring machine more that the Warriors are still introducing themselves to each other with their style of play. This is a game where our power game should work given the Warriors lack of forward punch really limiting their backs, namely SJ.

Belta

Juniors
ALSGI said; "With our current team we should win this game easily (I just hope they don't read this) ...

I also hope the boys don't come to the game with this mentality. Kearney was very upset with the Warriors second half against the doggies and stated he is looking for a big improvement this week. Could be a very tough game for us. Need to put some pressure on the kickers, absolutely none was put on the sharkies kickers last week.

Must complete well, somehow find even a half decent kicking game, fix up all defensive deficiencies in there backline, especially between Aitken and MacDonald and I might be asking too much now but a few decent backline plays...do this and we are in with a good chance of bringing home the bacon.

Prediction, Dragon get the points in a tight game, led by their forwards. Macdonald scores the winning try.

ALSGI

Bench
We will win comfortably imo.

Just watched the full replay against Sharks again and we were very good. McCrone (dare I say it) did some very good work, a couple of good kicks but a couple of shockers too. Lafai (again, dare I say it) also did some very good work. Goal line defence was great. Lewis try could have been disallowed it was a 50/50 call. McDonald is looking good in attack and will score some tries for us, hope he can fix his positional defence reads. McInnes is a little work horse and a huge upgrade on Rein. Nighty was carried back 5m in his first hit up, but played solid afterwards. Aitken was very good. All the forwards were good, Thomo's been qiuet. Host was better and improving but not convinced he's our best bench option, I'd love to see what Sele and Kerr have off the Bench.

I've said I'd like to see 4,5 and 7 changed but on last weeks game, credit where it's due. Milne, Leilua, Dufty, Field will have to earn a spot or wait for injuries or form slump. I'd love to see 7 rotated between Mann and McCrone, or Field and McCrone what a wasted bench spot.

If last weeks Dragons comes out the Warriors won't match us and imo the winning margin will depend on our kicking game. RTS will be expecting our poor clearing kicks, can't see Foran having much in a possible first game in how long?

possm

Coach
Our forwards are doing a great job however, if the Warriors backline is on song, we are going to have a very difficult job in holding them out. All self inflicted as we have a much stronger backline in our squad; selection is the problem.