What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Warriors round 4

Crush

Coach
We will win comfortably imo.

Just watched the full replay against Sharks again and we were very good. McCrone (dare I say it) did some very good work, a couple of good kicks but a couple of shockers too. Lafai (again, dare I say it) also did some very good work. Goal line defence was great. Lewis try could have been disallowed it was a 50/50 call. McDonald is looking good in attack and will score some tries for us, hope he can fix his positional defence reads. McInnes is a little work horse and a huge upgrade on Rein. Nighty was carried back 5m in his first hit up, but played solid afterwards. Aitken was very good. All the forwards were good, Thomo's been qiuet. Host was better and improving but not convinced he's our best bench option, I'd love to see what Sele and Kerr have off the Bench.

I've said I'd like to see 4,5 and 7 changed but on last weeks game, credit where it's due. Milne, Leilua, Dufty, Field will have to earn a spot or wait for injuries or form slump. I'd love to see 7 rotated between Mann and McCrone, or Field and McCrone what a wasted bench spot.

If last weeks Dragons comes out the Warriors won't match us and imo the winning margin will depend on our kicking game. RTS will be expecting our poor clearing kicks, can't see Foran having much in a possible first game in how long?
Two statements here that I don't like. "We will win comfortably" "can't see foran having much"
Last year we did this all year. We beat the teams we were not supposed to and lost to the teams that we should have beaten.
This weekend and next weekend will be the test to see if we have improved on last year or not.
We play warriors and tigers, 2 winnable games for sure. Those games worry me more than Sharks at shark park.....

ALSGI

Bench
Two statements here that I don't like. "We will win comfortably" "can't see foran having much"
Last year we did this all year. We beat the teams we were not supposed to and lost to the teams that we should have beaten.
This weekend and next weekend will be the test to see if we have improved on last year or not.
We play warriors and tigers, 2 winnable games for sure. Those games worry me more than Sharks at shark park.....
Crush just calling it as I see it atm, optimistic I know but on current form 2 from 3 against the teams we've palyed I think were entitled be optimistic.
Last year was last year, McAnchor was our coach then..........oh, ok I see your point. Warriors by 16.

possm

Coach
All up to Mary.
Get the players up for the game.

Game plan preparation.
Rid them of complacency.
Rectify the backline defensive errors.
Good line speed in defence is paramount.
Start with Mann, McCrone on the bench.

Crush

Coach
Crush just calling it as I see it atm, optimistic I know but on current form 2 from 3 against the teams we've palyed I think were entitled be optimistic.
Last year was last year, McAnchor was our coach then..........oh, ok I see your point. Warriors by 16.
I do like the optimism. Wouldn't it be great if we had Hunt there now. I reckon that would be the difference between an average side and a very good side.

Crush

Coach
All up to Mary.
Get the players up for the game.

Game plan preparation.
Rid them of complacency.
Rectify the backline defensive errors.
Good line speed in defence is paramount.
Start with Mann, McCrone on the bench.
I think the team has bought into the coaches plans so complacency and attitude shouldn't be an issue. Our problem will be our lack of skill in our halves and backs unfortunately.
Only so far the forwards can go before the halves and backs need to do a job.
If we are to be successful we need more from our 6, 7, and outside backs.
We also need to get Dugan's hands on the ball as much as possible as he is the most damaging runner in broken play.
Wouldn't it be exciting if we had a halfback in this team?
Next year could be very interesting.

Capital

Juniors
Really nice timing. They get Foran and RTS back for the game against us. Still, we are a chance. Our forwards will run rampant so if the backs can take advantage it will be game on. Their backs will run rings around ours.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The gameplan should be simple for this match, win the arm wrestle in the middle.
Everyone talks about the big forwards the Warriors have but honestly, they've been soft the last few weeks, I honestly think they've got nothing. That's not to mean they won't show up, you should NEVER underestimate any team in this competition, but our forward pack has the muscle to run straight over the top of this Warrior's pack. Quick play the balls and offloads to keep their forwards moving, our forwards can play much longer minutes than theirs can and we will tire them out if we keep the play sharp. The backs should play straight off the back of that as well.

The biggest problem we'll face is their backs, they have a really dynamic backline, which is why its super important not to give away field position through stupid penalties or errors. Johnson/RTS/Foran need to be targeted. We shut them down and show some discipline, we win this game

ALSGI

Bench
Why don't we put pressure on the opposition kicker. I was yelling at the TV on Sunday night. Pressure Pressure Pressure. Is this not part of the game plan?
You're right Draginzaar, I noticed this was almost non existent in the Sharks game.

BennyV

Referee
You're right Draginzaar, I noticed this was almost non existent in the Sharks game.
It's been our defensive pattern for years; little line movement, letting the opponent run towards us and gain metres then rely on our goal line defence to hold them out. Held up well against Sharks (just), not so well against Parra. How well it holds up as the season drags on, well have to wait and see.

One of the big reasons many of us aren't pulling Mary's dick after 2 solid wins.

Belta

Juniors
Agree BennyV we need good line speed especially on Johnson, who also happens to be their kicker. Pressure the crap out of Johnson all game. We called it before the parra game, we all knew that Norman needed to be pressured and if we didn't we would pay dearly. It's even more the case with the Warriors, you take Johnson out of the game and they will struggle to score.

We look fitter, we look sharper, but as we know that can all go out the window and it will if we play like we did against Parra, IMO against Parra we lost that game rather than Parra winning it, and I guess that's why everyone is not as confident as ALSGI
Hopefully the Dragons are up for this one, I think they will be, beat the Warriors than the Tigers and we will have a good platform to work off

ALSGI

Bench
Belta said:
I guess that's why everyone is not as confident as ALSGI

Belta, don't ruin it for me mate, haven't been this happy for a long time. Kick me next week when I'm down again.

possm

Coach
Belta said:
I guess that's why everyone is not as confident as ALSGI

Belta, don't ruin it for me mate, haven't been this happy for a long time. Kick me next week when I'm down again.
It should be up to our backrow forwards to take turns in targeting Johnson and Foran. Smash these two early and stay in their face all game and we will win the game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons v Warriors: Schick Preview
Thu 23 Mar, 2017, 12:00pm
By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@CoreyRosser23

image.ashx

Schick Hydro Preview: Dragons v Warriors
UOW Jubilee Oval
Sunday, 6.30pm AEDT, 8.30pm NZT

Are the Dragons going to prove an enigmatic nightmare for tipsters in 2017? And will Kieran Foran be the answer to the Warriors' woes?

This Sunday's Round 4 NRL Telstra Premiership clash between St George Illawarra and the Warriors should give us a better idea of the answer to both of those questions.

After beginning the year with a 42-10 demolition of Penrith, St George Illawarra copped a 34-16 loss to Parramatta in Round 2 before bouncing back to secure a gritty 16-10 win over Cronulla last Sunday.

With those results in mind it's hard to know what to expect from the 'Red V', but a win against the Warriors could see them end the round at the top of the ladder.

The Warriors meanwhile have a victory and two losses to their name so far, and look likely to have the services of star recruit Kieran Foran for the first time this year, where it will be hoped he can spark life into an attack which has scored only 22 points in their last 160 minutes of football.

The Dragons have unsurprisingly kept the same 17 that got the job done against the Sharks last week, but the visitors have some movement as they welcome back captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from a week out with concussion.

Tuimoala Lolohea assumes the wing spot made vacant by Manu Vatuvei's knee injury suffered in last Friday's 24-12 loss to the Canterbury Bulldogs, while Foran is named in the No.21 jersey on an extended bench.

Foran is a good chance to start at five-eighth with Mafoa'aeata Hingano to drop back to the interchange at the expense of Erin Clark, or fall out of the 17 completely.

The Dragons will take the field in a new-look uniform, sporting their ISC Marvel Heroes Ant Man jersey.

Why the Dragons can win: Not many would have predicted that St George Illawarra's attack would be a highlight to start their 2017 campaign, but after three games the Dragons possess the NRL's equal-third best attacking record, averaging 26.4 points per outing. In addition Paul McGregor's side are ranked in the competition's top five for offloads and total run metres. If they can get it going against the Warriors, who are yet to keep a team to under 22 points this season, it's unlikely they will be matched on the scoreboard.

Why the Warriors can win: So far in 2017 the Warriors have averaged just under 38 sets with the ball per game and have won the possession count in all three fixtures. They are enjoying plenty of time with the Steeden in hand and with completion rates of 80 per cent or higher in their last two matches, the Kiwi club have also shown they know how to look after it as well. If they can achieve somewhere around those numbers and improve the finish to their sets it's going to make the Dragons' job very hard.

The History: Played 24; Dragons 19; Warriors 5. Aside from their most recent meeting, which the Warriors won 26-10 in Auckland, the Dragons have completely owned these head-to-head fixtures, winning 15 of the last 17. The news is even worse for the Warriors on the road against St George Illawarra, with just one away victory against the Red V in 12 attempts since 1999.

What are the odds: The money has been coming in at a rate of three to one in favour of the Dragons and they've been backed to win 13+ over the Warriors as well. Euan Aitken is the best backed in the first try-scorer market after bagging a double last weekend. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Match officials: Referee: David Munro. Assistant referee: Chris Sutton. Sideline officials: Dave Ryan and Peter Gough. Review official: Luke Patten. Senior review official: Ashley Klein.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live coverage from 6.30pm (AEDT). Sky Sports - Live coverage from 8.30pm (NZT).

NRL.com predicts: Even in the face of back-to-back defeats there is plenty of reason to believe the Warriors can be competitive this weekend, but they haven't yet shown anything near what the Dragons have at their best. St George Illawarra are more efficient in attack and look more confident in defence. Add in the fact that the Warriors traditionally struggle against the Dragons, and really struggle against the Dragons on the road, and it's hard to go against the Red V in this one. Dragons by 14.

http://www.nrl.com/dragons-v-warriors-schick-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/104943/default.aspx

ALSGI

Bench
Todays NRL Sunday preview said RTS didn't pass his concussion test on Tuesday and still has to pass a test before the game on Sunday.

Latest posts