What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

Frank Facer

First Grade
It will be interesting to see if Dugan lasts the four years. The way he puts his body on the line he is going to get injured.
Agree Millward screwed it up only time will tell if he was right.
I wish Dugan all the best any way
I do not think Millward screwed up at all. If Dugan did sign for 4 years with us for 750K a year, then I would be saying that Millward screwed up. We already have a better fullback than Dugan, in Dufty, for a fraction of the price. We have young Lomax who will be a better centre than Dugan in 2 or 3 years. We also have the likes of Herbert, Garrick and Masters who could all be playing center for us in the next 2 years. Dugan would have blocked their path if we kept him. Dugan is also injury prone.

If Millward did not even offer Dugan a contract, that would have been a masterstroke, in my opinion.

giboz71

First Grade
I do not think Millward screwed up at all. If Dugan did sign for 4 years with us for 750K a year, then I would be saying that Millward screwed up. We already have a better fullback than Dugan, in Dufty, for a fraction of the price. We have young Lomax who will be a better centre than Dugan in 2 or 3 years. We also have the likes of Herbert, Garrick and Masters who could all be playing center for us in the next 2 years. Dugan would have blocked their path if we kept him. Dugan is also injury prone.

If Millward did not even offer Dugan a contract, that would have been a masterstroke, in my opinion.

The way I see it Frank, it was a calculated gamble by the club to let a bona fide rep player leave. No guarantees any of the youngsters you mention will be able to make the jump to FG. Dufty had a great debut, but it's only one game.

All I know is, our attack has hardly looked threatening with Duges at FB. We needed a change and Millward agreed.

Time will tell if Millward is correct. Hence I've always said let's wait till mid 2018 to assess his mamnagent of our roster. Our team with Ben Hunt, a new fullback, a new prop and possibly a new winger will look very different .

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You dodged a bullet that will hit us straight between the eyes.

Worst Sharks signing I can remember. Completely over rated player, over priced and be the beginning of my team heading south on the ladder....

He is not a world class player or athlete. I can think of a few better fullbacks and many centers I would have before him. He is not fast, not a great defender, not a great reader of player...is just awkward to tackle.

World class douche he has covered. Your young Dufty will be twice the player very Slater, Tedesco like...

JDHD

Juniors

Worst Sharks signing I can remember. Completely over rated player, over priced and be the beginning of my team heading south on the ladder....

He is not a world class player or athlete. I can think of a few better fullbacks and many centers I would have before him. He is not fast, not a great defender, not a great reader of player...is just awkward to tackle.

World class douche he has covered. Your young Dufty will be twice the player very Slater, Tedesco like...

I think you might be my soul mate.

Life's Good

Coach

Dragons fans bagging Dugan quickly forget he carried us many times over the last few years. He's a loss to us but one that will be covered as we look to change our style of play to scoring points and not just defending. I think we had Dugan at the right time in his playing career(age, energy etc.)but with the wrong players, coach around him. He will be an upgrade on say, Beale, but with a bigger price tag.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
The way I see it Frank, it was a calculated gamble by the club to let a bona fide rep player leave. No guarantees any of the youngsters you mention will be able to make the jump to FG. Dufty had a great debut, but it's only one game.

All I know is, our attack has hardly looked threatening with Duges at FB. We needed a change and Millward agreed.

Time will tell if Millward is correct. Hence I've always said let's wait till mid 2018 to assess his mamnagent of our roster. Our team with Ben Hunt, a new fullback, a new prop and possibly a new winger will look very different .

Agree it is def a calculated gamble that has left a bit of a void whilst rhe next wave comes in.

You are correct in saying there are no guarantees for these juniors making the jump and thats why we should have kept him and put him at centre. Top defender and proven performer as well as a rep standard player, compared to 3 or 4 yet to be 1st grade proven players.

For me its a no brainer and a win win as we have plenty of cap space.

merahputih

Juniors

I saw Dugan in his 1st game for us in 2013 v Eels @ WIN Stadium. He carved them up with speed & elusiveness. Then he bulked up and lost a yard or two in pace. Agree with most of your points except his defense, which I think has never been anything less than solid.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Sorry boys have to totally disagree, josh is an excellent player. but he has too many flaws to be considered( must sign ).just look back since may2013. how many games has josh dugan won for his team .hazarding a guess not very many.Josh was signed on a very large contract by the BIG RED V .sure Millard said the wrong thing maybe.the point is ,cronulla has signed him ,probably as a centre on the same money as he could be receiving from his current club..doesn't show a great deal of respect for giving him a new start when nobody else would have a bar of him.josh can save you a game but he very rarely wins you a game.

OzDragon

Coach

He's actually an excellent defender at fullback, but not so much in the centres. Other than a power running game, he hasn't got much else to offer. He puts in the effort though, I don't think anyone can deny that.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I saw Dugan in his 1st game for us in 2013 v Eels @ WIN Stadium. He carved them up with speed & elusiveness. Then he bulked up and lost a yard or two in pace. Agree with most of your points except his defense, which I think has never been anything less than solid.

Remember it well. Duges was awesome that day. Sadly after three games under super coach Price, he was playing as badly as everyone else.

barry

Juniors
Dugan is a good player... when his one the field!

He has spent 39% of this season on the sideline, HIA or origin duty.

possm

Coach
To me it seems Millward spent most his budget and so did not have enough to sign both Dugan and Packer. His idea was that Field would be our next fullback; did not give Dufty a mention.

Lucky for Millward Dufty is ready for first grade because Field his chosen on was/is not. He had better have enough cap left to sign a really good prop because although we have some good talent coming through, there is none as good as Packer is when he's fit.

Gareth67

First Grade
The Dragons received their money's worth from Duges . As said by others , more so from his defence than attack . Over priced , perhaps , but as Johno McJohnn mentioned he had an extra yard in pace in his first season ( 1/2 ) with us .

I believe that we may overlook just how much the man has contributed to the team as a player and to the supporters themselves . It always hard when a favourite member of any team leaves for another club , but by this time next year we will have gotten over it , besides , there's a fella by the name of Duffy that I am sure will soften the blow .

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would rate Dufty as a superb strike player right up there with Blacklock, Brennan, Cooper, both Gasniers, Langlands, all three Morrises, O'Connor, Billy Smith, Walford. Dugan was a strike player but no longer is due to his bulkiness and injury. Dufty has the goods and the team needs to develop around him. To me Field is a winger, fullback and five-eighth in descending order.

Frank Facer

First Grade
To me it seems Millward spent most his budget and so did not have enough to sign both Dugan and Packer. His idea was that Field would be our next fullback; did not give Dufty a mention.

Lucky for Millward Dufty is ready for first grade because Field his chosen on was/is not. He had better have enough cap left to sign a really good prop because although we have some good talent coming through, there is none as good as Packer is when he's fit.

I do not think that Millward spent most of his budget. I think we should still have the 800K that was offered to Dugan and the 550K that was offered to Packer. If so then we should have around 1.3 mil or so left to spend on the right players.

Life's Good

Coach
I would rate Dufty as a superb strike player right up there with Blacklock, Brennan, Cooper, both Gasniers, Langlands, all three Morrises, O'Connor, Billy Smith, Walford. Dugan was a strike player but no longer is due to his bulkiness and injury. Dufty has the goods and the team needs to develop around him. To me Field is a winger, fullback and five-eighth in descending order.
Dufty, in that company after 1 game?? Big call.

TruSaint

Referee

Massive call.

1 game so far and YES very good in attack.
Lets not compare him to seasoned players whom have proven it all.

His defence, both physically and positionally is yet to be determined.

I wish him him all the success but can we wait a few games before we compare him to Langlands, Cooper, Walford, and company is just off the chart.

I hope he reaches the highest level. These comparisons at this point, are ludicrous.

Last edited:

gregstar

Referee
couldn't give a rats about dugan leaving.

can't pass.

great defender but can't pass.

furthermore the 2 tries he butchered against the raiders is typical of him - looks diamonds but turns to stone.

he's awesome when we're winning well, but sucks his thumb when he's needed in a tight one - a flat track bully.

TruSaint

Referee
couldn't give a rats about dugan leaving.

can't pass.

great defender but can't pass.

furthermore the 2 tries he butchered against the raiders is typical of him - looks diamonds but turns to stone.

he's awesome when we're winning well, but sucks his thumb when he's needed in a tight one - a flat track bully.

Aus and SOO selectors would beg to differ.

Seems to have done well in the landscape of rep footy, as well as keep us in games that maybe you have overlooked.

He's gone, so Yes, we move on.

I think he has been very good for us.