What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan's worth

Life's Good

Coach
Life its either Millward is crap or its the TPA from the sleepy possm.
I'm like plenty on here that can be continuously negative either for good reason or as a sh*t stir. At some point though it's only fair to say enough and look at the positives. I know last year still stings but we are much better than last year and it sh*ts me no end that some refuse to see/enjoy that.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Inconsistency is going to happen with young players. They will learn from it and in this case, may learn more from a good thrashing. A poor game here or there is no reason to write them off or not to blood them in a side that has ample experience and is doing well and may lift them a gear as well.
Good common sense post . Well said and absolutely spot on .

possm

Coach
The fact is that our young stars are not ready for reserve grade let alone first grade. So why and where to now?

I would think the only reason we are in this position is that Millward miss-judged the readiness of your young guns and relied on them to fill the gap in 2018.

Practically, he probably spent too much on upgrades to our forward's contracts and signed up too many juniors to the extent that there is not the funds available to recruit replacements for Dugan and Packer like for like or better. There is no way Dufty/Field or Ker/Lawrie are likely to be ready for first grade in 2018 given yesterday's performance.

What a mess

saintm

Juniors
Well people wanting Dufty and Field in the team they played like utter crap today for Illawarra.

Dufty was less crap but still didn't inject himself at all and again failed to try and catch a bomb on the full letting it bounce for a try.

Field my goodness he was bad simple dropped balls and a real lack of vision at times.

Both young and both have time on their hands but should not see first grade at this time.
Was at the game yes Dufty dropped one high ball and did miss a tackle which led to a try but did do quite a few good things.In attack couldn't get involved with the way the team was playing.Field and Clune where horrible in the halves one of them had to take control of the team and didn't,Field plays to much for him self,made one break with Clune inside and tried to beat the fullback instead of passing it (missed try at 12/0).The team as a whole were bad ,the dog's post contact meters killed us our front line defence didn't aim up.Always next week "Go Illawarra"

saintm

Juniors
Players can have bad games and can be inconsistent, especially young ones. Just look at Ash Taylor for the titans today, he was horrendous and his highly skilled kicking game was non-existent.

But it doesn't mean they get relegated. Players often improved based on the calibre of player around them. If you keep them in NSW cup, they will never be better than NSW cup players. This was Fields 3rd game in 10 days, as a 19 year old. Maybe fatigue might be a possibility?
Passing the ball to an unmarked player instead of going yourself isn't fatigue it's called a hog

Overseas dragon

Juniors
The fact is that our young stars are not ready for reserve grade let alone first grade. So why and where to now?

I would think the only reason we are in this position is that Millward miss-judged the readiness of your young guns and relied on them to fill the gap in 2018.

Practically, he probably spent too much on upgrades to our forward's contracts and signed up too many juniors to the extent that there is not the funds available to recruit replacements for Dugan and Packer like for like or better. There is no way Dufty/Field or Ker/Lawrie are likely to be ready for first grade in 2018 given yesterday's performance.

What a mess
The fact is some of these kids are just kids a bunch of kids together is just a bunch of kids.take one good kid and let him join up with a bunch of grown ups and he may just shine.even Jonathan thurston has quiet games now and again he's not always like he was last night.negative bunch some of you .glass half empty types.

j0nesy

Bench

What a mess

Bit rough I think - they're still 4th. They're a very young team and are a little inconsistent, I think they just had a bad game. We only need to accomodate one or two via good bench rotations.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Inconsistency is going to happen with young players. They will learn from it and in this case, may learn more from a good thrashing. A poor game here or there is no reason to write them off or not to blood them in a side that has ample experience and is doing well and may lift them a gear as well.
Lets see how they play next week. That's the real test.

If they turn and are angry about their performance this weekend, that's good they care. If not, then I will get concerned.

It was always going to be a year Illawarra may have a turn down in results due to the amount of established players in the squad moving on, getting promoted and the amount of players injured who would be in the side.

Again yesterday Host, KFFL and Lewis didn't play adding to that Hutchison, Havili, Dodd, Nona and Glymin all out injured and having such a young squad that didn't help.

Matty Head I still have question marks over the way he prepares the team and how he motivates them but still overall they are doing okay.

Hopefully in 2018 they have a better structure as in the NSW cup then they do now which will really help prepare players for first grade.

Coffs dragon

Bench
If players are allowed to backflip on contracts under advice from coaches, then Clubs should be allowed to backflip on coaches contracts. It's a very ugly & dangerous precedence that seems to have crept into the modern game.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
The try Bevan French scored tonight off the Moses kick is a classic example of a try that Dugan would have saved with his positional play and acts of desperation.

No disrespect to Nightingale but these are just the little things that seperate Dugan from the rest.

mobels

Juniors
The try Bevan French scored tonight off the Moses kick is a classic example of a try that Dugan would have saved with his positional play and acts of desperation.

No disrespect to Nightingale but these are just the little things that seperate Dugan from the rest.
Yet the try that Nightingale set up was a classic example of what Dugan can't do, Nightingale's not the answer at fullback next year but neither is Duges.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Yet the try that Nightingale set up was a classic example of what Dugan can't do, Nightingale's not the answer at fullback next year but neither is Duges.

Oh please. Nightingale is a world class winger but only a solid fullback at best. Anything Nightingale can do in the #1 Dugan can do blindfolded.

Latest posts