What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach (Part Deux)

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wonder whether John Folau may come into calculations, after a full off-season - he's been playing on the edges, and reportedly doing well.

What's with Manu, anyway?

In the last two weeks, he made stupid errors, and gave away some really bone-headed penalties.

Gronk

Staff member
I wonder whether John Folau may come into calculations, after a full off-season - he's been playing on the edges, and reportedly doing well.

What's with Manu, anyway?

In the last two weeks, he made stupid errors, and gave away some really bone-headed penalties.

We certainly could do with his size. Gee the Cows are huge. All 6'5" and built like brick shithouses.

84 Baby

Referee
Jackson is a current SOO rep. Your opinion is flawed.
Current SOO rep for NSW. Your opinion is flawed. But seriously since halftime of origin 1, he has been comparatively terrible this season. I've been a fan of Jackson but if you are worried because Manu has gone backwards, surely must have the same concerns with Jackson

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We certainly could do with his size. Gee the Cows are huge. All 6'5" and built like brick shithouses.

BA is definitely looking to add some of that size into our pack. The TCT interviews with the assistant coaches confirmed that.

If you add Moeroa / Evans plus another TBC middle forward signing, to our pack we suddenly have some decent size!!

Delboy

First Grade
The basic problem is undeniable, we lack size to punch holes and punish ball runners. The team had a great season, but if we are being honest, apart from Alvaro, our front row is nuggety and tough.

I watch plenty of junior league, and although not body matured, there are plenty of 17-19 year old players considerably bigger then our forwards. If we look at how teams like our last 2 opponents recruit, they look for size and effort, MacLean goes from th Storm to Cowboys at 6'4", which shows the mind set

Last night just emphasised that big players work well in big games, Michael Morgan at 7 was comparable in size to Mannah and Mau, maybe not as physical but it was very apparent at the ground.

BA is one of the best things to happen to the club, but loyalty doesn't always guarantee results, and until we match up physically with Storm. Rorters, Cowboys, and others up front we will probably fall short ( no pun intended).

For instance Mannah is a great clubman, but lacks the size to intimidate and even hurt in tackles, we have some decent size coming through but a few years from starting. Unsure who is available, but it's evident size is a priority . This offseason will be crucial to ensure our place in the top 4 will be maintained

Bazal

Post Whore
Eels lose, fans say we fat forwards. Rinse and repeat as needed. Confirmation bias is a funny thing. Fact is we smacked them up the middle for much of last night, they just had more in the tank and the best forward in the game, plus a dozen blokes with experience winning a grand final in the 82nd minute....

Also Josh Jackson is one of the worst attacking back rowers in the game. He's a solid defender but that's all he offers. A few weeks ago we were talking about him in the other games thread and he made 6 runs for 40m or so in 65 minutes.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'd be surprised if Evans is going to be the world beater people are claiming. He's the equivalent of the No 6 middle forward at his current club who's only been on the field for more than 25 minutes per game only a couple of times this season. He'll be a handy player for us, but won't bring a lot more than the current lot of middle forwards we have on the books.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd be surprised if Evans is going to be the world beater people are claiming. He's the equivalent of the No 6 middle forward at his current club who's only been on the field for more than 25 minutes per game only a couple of times this season. He'll be a handy player for us, but won't bring a lot more than the current lot of middle forwards we have on the books.

Not sure who has claimed Evans will be a world beater, but you beat that death riding drum nonetheless.

Chipmunk

Coach
Not sure who has claimed Evans will be a world beater, but you beat that death riding drum nonetheless.

Just tell it how I see it.

By 'world beater', I mean a player who will be expected to be a Top 3 middle forward in a premiership contender. I don't think Evans is that player.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just tell it how I see it.

By 'world beater', I mean a player who will be expected to be a Top 3 middle forward in a premiership contender. I don't think Evans is that player.

By sheer virtue of being the kind of player we need in a side that already made the top four he will be exactly that. Doesn't mean he's a world beater, nor does it mean that a single person said he would be a world beater. Classic Chipmunk goalpost shifting.

He is the kind of player we need. Big, strong, runs hard, gives us a different kind of body. He doesn't have to be a world beater to improve the side. And I say that as someone who wasn't fussed if we signed him or not.

Chipmunk

Coach
By sheer virtue of being the kind of player we need in a side that already made the top four he will be exactly that. Doesn't mean he's a world beater, nor does it mean that a single person said he would be a world beater. Classic Chipmunk goalpost shifting.

He is the kind of player we need. Big, strong, runs hard, gives us a different kind of body. He doesn't have to be a world beater to improve the side. And I say that as someone who wasn't fussed if we signed him or not.

People are already expecting him to probably be the second best middle forward in the team behind Brown. I think people are in for a rude shock. It's the equivalent of another team picking up Vave, Terepo or Gower (different players, but of similar calibre in the team) and expecting them to be one of your best players and your team becoming a title contender because of it.

I think he will be an OK signing, but I don't expect us to immensely improve because we have signed him.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
FFS brown was a bench player for a side that didn't even come close to making the 8 last year and look at him now!!

Yet we pick up a top 17 player from a side that finished 2nd and we are already doubting the signing will improve our side!! f**ken madness!!

Come on chippie !! BA specifically chased Evans, he was a targeted signing!! You really don't think there is a bloody good chance he will improve us?

Look at Moses, plenty doubted BA decision signing him!! Look at Gutherson!!

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
People are already expecting him to probably be the second best middle forward in the team behind Brown. I think people are in for a rude shock. It's the equivalent of another team picking up Vave, Terepo or Gower (different players, but of similar calibre in the team) and expecting them to be one of your best players and your team becoming a title contender because of it.

I think he will be an OK signing, but I don't expect us to immensely improve because we have signed him.
He will be our best attacking middle forward along with Brown. He is also a decent middle defender. He will be much better for us than he is for the Roosters because we are able to give him more opportunity.

Alvaro, Moeroa and Brown will all be better players next year too. Only Scott (and Gower and Fritchard if we keep them) are likely to be worse.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I actually think he will add a lot to our attack, much like I thought Brown would.

Then again, I thought Vave would add a lot too.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He will be our best attacking middle forward along with Brown. He is also a decent middle defender. He will be much better for us than he is for the Roosters because we are able to give him more opportunity.

Alvaro, Moeroa and Brown will all be better players next year too. Only Scott (and Gower and Fritchard if we keep them) are likely to be worse.

And Gower / fritchard will be back ups!! Nice depth!!